Why doesn't DHS add value during refurb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to be clear. I am not saying Im not going to DHS or that it's a 1/2 DAY park, I just feel like that not only do they have 2 big construction projucts under way, they are now closing additional rides and NOW the nightime show we were planning to see is also going to be closed the week we are going. There is no postponing this trip at this point. We will go. We will still have a great time. I just hate to already be disappointed months before we even go. They know most vacation guests make ADRs 180 days in advance, I wish they would announce these changes as early when they can. If this announcment had been made earlier we would have booked our hard to get ADRs and arranged our park days differently so we could go on the only Starwars day of our trip. As it is, it conflicts with our Ohana night.

There are things they could do that would cost them nothing: like open the park from say 11-10 instead of 9-8 and spread out the shows so people could do 2 in 1 night if they wanted. It wouldn't cost anything to do Starwars every other night instead of off 1/2 the month and on 1/2 the month. It's not about expecting big additions during renovations, it's about making guests not feel like they don't matter bc this is when they chose or were able to come to the park.

I understand you are disappointed, but I don't think making the changes you are proposing are as easy as you think they are. I mean, I get it. I had to schedule our park days and ADR's prior to Pandora opening and had NO CLUE how to plan around it - when to go during the day, how hard FOP FP+ would be to get early in a trip, etc. We leave tomorrow and I made another adjustment just two days ago to try to get in everything we wanted to do (and I don't have FOP FP+, so had to completely adjust to get to AK at rope drop one day). Unfortunately, Disney's construction and rehab schedules really don't seem to synch with the 180 and 60 day planning time frames they have given guests. IMHO, it's probably too vast of an operation to even try to do this. I would really recommend, if you have any flexibility in your schedule and you really want to see Star Wars, try to move your O'hana reservation so you can see it. Sign up for the Touring Plans reservation finder and try to switch it. Understand, that things have closed, schedules are not as you would like them to be, but, that's most likely not going to change on Disney's end. I would just try to plan around what you can and enjoy your trip.

Why they didn't wait to close GMr will always baffle me-now there is a "dead spot" right in the middle of the Park along wiht all the "dead ends".

But a good time can still be had at DHS-all the Star Wars happenings help a lot.

And DHS still has the most unique "attraction" at WDW-the Citizens of Hollywood!:)

Not even sure the supposed completion date off hand .....
..... but do you think they wanted something new and open to help with the
crush of crowds expected to come to the new lands.

Surely they will have to limit folks in the lands, especially SW ...
so maybe this attraction is to help with overflow.
Doesn't look impressive but it will be new.

I understand you are disappointed, but I don't think making the changes you are proposing are as easy as you think they are. I mean, I get it. I had to schedule our park days and ADR's prior to Pandora opening and had NO CLUE how to plan around it - when to go during the day, how hard FOP FP+ would be to get early in a trip, etc. We leave tomorrow and I made another adjustment just two days ago to try to get in everything we wanted to do (and I don't have FOP FP+, so had to completely adjust to get to AK at rope drop one day). Unfortunately, Disney's construction and rehab schedules really don't seem to synch with the 180 and 60 day planning time frames they have given guests. IMHO, it's probably too vast of an operation to even try to do this. I would really recommend, if you have any flexibility in your schedule and you really want to see Star Wars, try to move your O'hana reservation so you can see it. Sign up for the Touring Plans reservation finder and try to switch it. Understand, that things have closed, schedules are not as you would like them to be, but, that's most likely not going to change on Disney's end. I would just try to plan around what you can and enjoy your trip.

YUP^
SOMEONE will always be disappointed, missing a ride for rehab, unable to get an ADR or FP+ ................. missing out on something. It will never be perfect for everyone.

It really is no different than planning a perfect trip and arrive to rain or a kitchen suddenly closed (boy is that becoming a habit) or a ride closed down or show cancelled. No reason to get upset, just go with the flow and make it work best you can.

Why they didn't wait to close GMr will always baffle me-now there is a "dead spot" right in the middle of the Park along wiht all the "dead ends".

But a good time can still be had at DHS-all the Star Wars happenings help a lot.

And DHS still has the most unique "attraction" at WDW-the Citizens of Hollywood!:)

Not even sure the supposedly completion date off hand .....
..... but do you think they wanted something new and open to help with the
crush of crowds expected to come to the new lands.

Surely they will have to limit folks in the lands, especially SW ...
so maybe this attraction is to help with overflow.
Doesn't look impressive but it will be new.

I think that's good insight, @HopperFan -- they want to have all the pieces fall into place at the right time. It's unfortunate timing for people going now who were fans of GMR. We went through the same thing with the reimagining of Disney California Adventure when large portions of the park were under construction for the relaunch.

Also, I assume they were paying a lot of money to other studios to license all of the stories and characters used in the attraction. No idea when those contracts were up, or what exit options Disney had, but it was probably a good point to leave that deal.

The most simple thing they could do is make any 1 day Park Ticket become a PH with an Option to go to the Studios.

I have a slightly different outlook. When we went to HS for the first time 5 years ago, we didn't enjoy it like we did the other parks. It was easily our least favorite park, but we all loved Toy Story Mania! My middle child kept begging to go back to ride Toy Story, and we finally gave in three trips ago. Although large areas of the park are closed for refurbishment, we love the "new" enhancements!

My kids all love Star Wars so the Launch Bay is a huge hit. The addition of the new track at Toy Story Mania makes the lines manageable. We can actually ride stand-by now. On top of that, many people don't want to come to HS because of the refurbishments so the lines are generally down. Our kids can walk on Star Tours multiple times after dinner. I think that it may currently be our favorite park!

On a side note, I would try to move your O'hana reservation. The Star Wars show is really worth seeing. The show surpassed my expectations in every way (my kids would watch it every night if they could). However, I feel your pain about it now showing for all of December. We will be there during the time when JBJB will be playing in its place.

I've got the same situation in November. The Star Wars Show will be going on during part of my trip & then they switch over to JBJB. I've done the SW dessert party for the past 3 years so will probably just end up doing JBJB. Don't really need another Chewbacca Stein although it is a great show & I really enjoy the dessert party. When I was there in May I ended up spending way longer in DHS than I had planned doing some things I had never done before like some of the character M&G's. Wish now I had taken the time to do GMR for what would have been my final time but I had to get somewhere else due to the plans I had made. They've talked about closing it so many times I just never thought they'd really do it before they got Toy Story Land opened. I too would choose the Star Wars Fireworks over the 'Ohana Dinner but that is a personal preference.

I think the mistake was made by the planning dept.

It almost seems like they didn't see the 50th coming and now the execs are freaking out, trying to get everything done before fall 2011.

Of course I have zero construction or theme park enhancement planning in my background so what the heck do I know.

We're still making a full day of it when we go in February - we're a little bummed that a lot of the park is shut down for refurb but are also excited to see the new attractions when they open. We did the Lights, Camera, Action stunt show three years ago and my boys loved it. It was fun/interesting but definitely a one-and-done for us. We've never seen the Indiana Jones show, so we have that on our list for Feb. My younger son's favorite ride is ToT and his second favorite is RnR, so this is easily his favorite park. We're eating at two table service restaurants while there to add to our day, too - Sci Fi for lunch and 50's prime time for dinner. We do have park hoppers, so we have the option of bugging out after lunch and returning for dinner/Star Wars fireworks.

I know it won't be open when we go, but I really want to ride the slinky dog coaster - next trip, I suppose!

I've done the SW dessert party for the past 3 years so will probably just end up doing JBJB. Don't really need another Chewbacca Stein although it is a great show & I really enjoy the dessert party.
You may want to reassess your decision.

You attended the first version of the SW dessert party which started a little over a year and a half ago and took place outdoors at Center Stage. The show at that time was Symphony in the Stars. As you know, the souvenir gift was a Chewbacca stein.

It sounds like you also attended the party after June of 2016 when it moved indoors to the Launch Bay and is centered around Star Wars a Galactic Spectacular. The Chewy stein was originally the souvenir gift but later changed to a TIE fighter pop corn holder. But if you want a bunch of those you'll have to come before the end of the year.

My thing is that they've got the 3 night shows, but not enough to warrant 3 days of park time. They're basically pushing you into Park Hoppers

I actually see it differently. I would never buy hoppers unless I would use them throughout the trip. I would skip a park if there just was not enough to keep my family occupies enough to justify using a day's pass.

I just want to be clear. I am not saying Im not going to DHS or that it's a 1/2 DAY park, I just feel like that not only do they have 2 big construction projucts under way, they are now closing additional rides and NOW the nightime show we were planning to see is also going to be closed the week we are going. There is no postponing this trip at this point. We will go. We will still have a great time. I just hate to already be disappointed months before we even go. They know most vacation guests make ADRs 180 days in advance, I wish they would announce these changes as early when they can. If this announcment had been made earlier we would have booked our hard to get ADRs and arranged our park days differently so we could go on the only Starwars day of our trip. As it is, it conflicts with our Ohana night.

There are things they could do that would cost them nothing: like open the park from say 11-10 instead of 9-8 and spread out the shows so people could do 2 in 1 night if they wanted. It wouldn't cost anything to do Starwars every other night instead of off 1/2 the month and on 1/2 the month. It's not about expecting big additions during renovations, it's about making guests not feel like they don't matter bc this is when they chose or were able to come to the park.

You know, I understand. I really do. I just do not see that your ide is logistically possible. First, the "extras" may not appeal to everyone, so they are without value.

I really need to ask why you are disappointed already? It is impossible to manage to do everything, and I certainly would not place a dinner ADR before a show that my family wanted to see. I would get rid of 'Ohana, and spend the time in the park so you could enjoy what it has to offer, and make your dinner ADR near DHS. Some of our best meals have occurred because we needed to make changes in the "old standby plans" were used to.

When there has been construction that I felt would detract form our trip we just skipped that park or area. I do not care for congestion so I did not schedule DS during construction and we also skipped DAK. I had no buyers remorse.

I understand where you're coming from. DHS is in such a state of transition right now, it's hard to get excited about the current offerings.

Agreed. If my daughter didn't love DHS, I would skip it on our next trip.

My thing is that they've got the 3 night shows, but not enough to warrant 3 days of park time. They're basically pushing you into Park Hoppers

It seems like it, doesn't it? If hoppers were cheaper, I would consider them. But for us, they would be an extra @$300+. We don't have that much extra to spend.

We park hop just about every day. Hit DHS early, do what there is to do, hop to Epcot or elsewhere. Then one evening at DHS to catch a show if we want to.

Not sure what more Disney is supposed to do with DHS in this time of flux. More shows to draw more people into the park that is under construction with fewer rides to spread them out once there than it had a couple of years ago? Not sure that would make sense.

Worth doing in DHS to us... still plenty for now:
  • RnR
  • ToT
  • TSMM
  • Star Tours
  • SW fireworks
  • F! (maybe)
  • Launch Bay M&Gs
  • Brown Derby / Sci-Fi / 50s Prime Time

Last edited:
I don't think they are trying at all with Studios. And the park is NOT worth visiting IMHO until they do. Sure in a few years it will be great, but in the meantime at $100 a day, forget it!

Maybe if you can only offer half a park, you could charge less????

Maybe add it as a bonus park that you don't need a parkhopper ticket for? I know that we are definitely not using one of our 5 days for it.

Honestly, I think the best thing they could offer is rare character meet and greets. At the special ticket parties, both holiday and DVC that I have attended, the ride lines are sometimes short, but the meet and greet lines are LONG. And I mean HOURS long. And they DO already have hundreds of rare character costumes to choose from. And If they did this, they would need to add LOTS of them, and I would suggest offering FP+ for some of them.

The thing with HS is that it's never really looked like much on the map but the attractions take so you can fill a day there. I think people that call HS a half day park have been many times and are skipping the longer shows.

FWIW, my family would skip Ohana to see the SW show.

I actually see it differently. I would never buy hoppers unless I would use them throughout the trip. I would skip a park if there just was not enough to keep my family occupies enough to justify using a day's pass.

I agree (for when I didn't have AP trips) BUT we travel often ... OP says it's her once in a lifetime trip ... so to me that means you absolutely get the hopper because you will want to maximize hours each day. And if you have the dining plan, hopping is a great perk to access more restaurants.

I really need to ask why you are disappointed already? It is impossible to manage to do everything, and I certainly would not place a dinner ADR before a show that my family wanted to see. I would get rid of 'Ohana, and spend the time in the park so you could enjoy what it has to offer, and make your dinner ADR near DHS. Some of our best meals have occurred because we needed to make changes in the "old standby plans" were used to.

When there has been construction that I felt would detract form our trip we just skipped that park or area. I do not care for congestion so I did not schedule DS during construction and we also skipped DAK. I had no buyers remorse.

THIS^
Dining is dining is dining ........... same as just about everywhere you go. The food is average, most the decor is slightly above average and there is no way I'd give up things special to Disney to go eat some food. Yes there are a few special spots or a character meal or two .... but if it were my once in a lifetime trip no way I'd waste hours & hours of it focused on eating, I can do that anywhere. I can't do the attractions and shows and take in the imagineering everywhere.

We're going to WDW next December, and my plan is to visit HS one day and one evening.
We're not thrill-ride fans, so ToT and RnR are out of the question. We'll be there during the time when all shows are available, so the idea is to go one day and ride the few things we like, and see all shows but SWaGS - we've already booked a Fantasmic lunch package for Dec 15 and both shows overlap that day. Then, come back one evening for the SW dessert party (I'm waiting for it to show up after Dec 17!!)

I can understand the OP's feelings. It helps that we have hoppers, but honestly we don't enjoy HS that much, one day is more than enough. Without PH, I don't think I'd be delighted that all three evening shows can't be seen the same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter