Why Middle Class Can't Afford Disney

WDW has always been an expensive vacation. It's more expensive now, for sure. I gasp when I see the ticket prices now and how much they have gone up since we started going. And don't get started on the "Disney Adult" I do think there is an age where kids start eating as much as adults, but it's generally not age 10.

It's also more expensive depending on where you live. If you live within easy driving distance that makes a big difference over a 1,000m+ trip where you are more likely to want to/have to fly.

Vacations are the ultimate luxury. When you're having a tough time paying your bills or you get hit with a big car or house repair expense, what's the first thing that goes...vacation.

One thing that I do think is great about Orlando is that there are a ton of accommodation options to fit different budgets. Same for food. This is not true in a lot of destinations.

I get so frustrated with these articles about how Disney trips are too expensive for anyone to afford. Where in the world they come up with their numbers baffles me. Maybe if you go during the highest priced parts of the year with no discounts, but sheesh, $6360 for 4 nights? There's no way I would pay that... So I don't. You can go during cheaper times of the year, use discounts and promos, stay at cheaper hotels, not buy all the extras and still have a great trip for much cheaper. Our trip for 12 nights at the end of August totals $4740 (plus $600 airfare). We did receive a complimentary upgrade from CBR to a 2BR Villa at SSR, but even for a mod for 12 nights (which is technically what we are paying for), that's far cheaper than the $6360 the article quotes for 8 fewer nights. The $4740 includes the regular DDP (free), Memory Maker, 5 day PH+ tickets, MNSSHP, and the FEA Dessert Party for 2 adults, 1 kid, and a toddler.

Whew! $6,360 for 4 nights? We are paying much less than that for 3 MONTHS at Fort Wilderness:) We had our tickets already, but still...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!