Why would I go to Wide World of Sports?

BostonEd

I'd rather be skiing.
I was looking at the water parks and more ticket options, and noticed you could go to WWOS using one of your options.

At first I was excited: I thought my son and I could shoot some hoops on the b-ball court. But it looks like that's not what it is about. It seems like it's all about pre-arranged sporting events. So why would I go there? Even if there was something I wanted to see (doubtful), wouldn't I need tickets anyway?

Some (most?) of the events at ESPN WWoS need a special ticket (I know MLB spring training used to, maybe some tournaments, etc.). Others that use the "standard" admission can be done with a "plus" option from the Water Parks & Sports add-on. But as to why you might go... probably only if you have a kid participating. Otherwise it looks like an extra choice but really isn't anything of value.

In the past, WWoS seemed to be a much busier place with youth tournaments, college events, and even professional baseball with Atlanta Braves spring training up until about 2 years ago. You could enter the grounds to look around and even watch some things - although you also needed a ticket to get into some events! Today, at this point, I'm not sure the admission is of much value to the average person, unless you know someone participating in an event/tournament there.

Years ago there was an NFL Experience activity to do.

Now it is ONLY events and AFAIK they are ALL ticketed these days.

Why Disney continues to offer WWOS as an option is a great mystery.

In the past, WWoS seemed to be a much busier place with youth tournaments, college events
This is not true, there as busy as they have ever been however the big difference is what "WEDWDW" said there used to be things people could do now it's really just an invite only type of venue. Absolutely no reason to go there unless your invited to a specific event.

The Tampa Bay rays were there last year while there facility was repaired because of the hurricane. No scheduled spring training teams this year that I'm aware of.

No, the Braves have moved on to a new, expensive new complex on the Gulf Coast now. We saw a couple youth baseball tournaments there and several Braves games over the years. Haven't been there in years, so maybe it's just my lack of interest in what they have going on that makes it seem less busy!

This is not true, there as busy as they have ever been however the big difference is what "WEDWDW" said there used to be things people could do now it's really just an invite only type of venue. Absolutely no reason to go there unless your invited to a specific event.

The Tampa Bay rays were there last year while there facility was repaired because of the hurricane. No scheduled spring training teams this year that I'm aware of.
Absolutely with every kind of Sport you can think of taking place.

I wouldn't think there are but a handful of days the whole year without an Event taking place with most days having multiple Events.

The latest addition a few years ago was an 8,500 seat venue constructed JUST for Cheer and Dance Events.

Absolutely with every kind of Sport you can think of taking place.

I wouldn't think there are but a handful of days the whole year without an Event taking place with most days having multiple Events.

The latest addition a few years ago was an 8,500 seat venue constructed JUST for Cheer and Dance Events.
Do you need an entry ticket into WWoS to get to those events, and/or a ticket to the event itself?

On my way out in mid April last year there were a bunch of cheerleading teams coming in, apparently for a competition, guessing they were holding it at WWoS. The previous week it had been used for a runDisney event expo (why I was there), RD uses it for four weeks each year. So it definitely still get used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter