Why?

fboy9287

DIS Veteran
Why do people compare Dr. Doom and Tower of Terror? They are totally different rides, both have there different agendas. Tower of Terror is a main attraction that is intended to attract crowds. Dr. Doom is wanted to draw crowds away from larger attractions. As far as rides Dr. Doom doesn’t need more of a storyline. Tower of Terror is more of the theme that makes the ride. Dr. Doom adds something good to the skyline of IOA and doesn’t need to be compared with a totally different ride at MGM.

I don't know why people do this. I suppose it might be because those are the only two "tower" rides in the state and the people don't know any other. I compare it to the Power Tower myself. BTW, Power Tower is much better.:D

It's an age old phenomenon that I've yet to understand...and I don't just mean about Doom, but about EVERYTHING each park/resort has to offer! If someone who enjoys Universal more goes to a Disney board and says anything remotely negative about an attraction at Disney, they're jumped on, and vice versa. If someone goes to Universal, it seems all they're doing is going along with some kind of checklist to see how it compares to Disney. They're totally different parks, with totally different attractions to offer...which is why you don't really need to choose! You may find yourself more "faithful" to one entity or another, but lets face it, they both have their strengths and weaknesses! Doom is definitely NOT Tower of Terror...if they wanted it to BE like Tower of Terror, they would have taken it inside and made it like that, instead, they choose to do something a little different...something more like your average six flags has...it's not a headliner, as fboy pointed out, and it wasn't intended to BE one! Oddly enough, I LOVE TOT, it's my favorite Disney attraction, but I've only been on Doom 3 times, I just don't like it...but I've never compared them. Unfortunately, some people are stuck with the notion that they MUST compare. TOT is the closest thing to compare, I guess. People definitely need to go to the parks and take them at face value, instead of comparing...but if we're going to compare, I need to comment that IOA has taken and put in one park, more fun/thrills than all of Disney's parks combined. It's meant to be different, Disney has, and always will, cater to the families with young children, throwing in a thrill now and again Walt wanted a place where families could enjoy all of the attractions together, that was the IDEA...Universal decided to do something a little different with IOA, and has managed to get the attention of families with a little older children, who are looking for more thrill, and something different. That's why I have trouble when people get upset (here) when others say the Magic Kingdom is more suited to small children...it IS..no doubt about it. IOA has stuff for little ones to do, but MK is always going to be targetting families with young ones.
Ok...well, I know this drifted a bit...but these things bother me too, the need to compare...the need for some to believe that THEIR park is better in ALL ways to the other...It drives me nuts when someone expresses an opinion (usually it's a negative one) and everyone gets all bent out of shape because that person didn't LIKE their favorite ride. We all have different likes/dislikes/needs...it's what makes the world go round!
(someone recently compared Halloween Horror nights to Mickey's not so Scary Halloween Party...this was a prime example of comparing apples to oranges!:rolleyes: )
Thanks for reading...I apologize again for going on like I did...I must have to check my dosage as MIB999999 would say!:D

Karen

yeah, right MsDis. its kind of like comparing husbands to spiderman, or wives to the Crazy MIB chick. :o

And as we know, MIB....they (husbands and wives) would be in a LOT of trouble if we did THAT! :D :D :D

Karen

Spiderman during the day at IOA, was VERY good, for the record!:D

TOT and RnR Coaster are really the only reason why I hold onto a Disney AP. Even with these two stunning rides, I am tempted not to renew next year. Anyway, TOT is perhaps one of Disney's best rides. It shows that Disney is capable of some great rides. Instead, we get Journey Into Your Imagination. Ick! :)

I'm probably the reverse. I keep on comparing Universal to Disney. I do T2 vs. Honey I Shrunk the Audience (or to any Disney 3-D movie), Kali River Rapids vs. Popeye, RnR Coaster vs. Hulk, Spiderman vs. um, nothing like that at Disney. :) Universal usually comes out on top.

Can only be found overseas.
If you look at anything describing or showing Disneyland Paris or Tokyo you will see how truly great the Imagineers still are. It seems that the budgets are less tight over there and the final product is at least a close semblence of their drawing board dreams. The Head Cheese at the domestic version of Disney only gives us waterdowned versions of what the Imagineers dream up.
I don't know why they feel like they should cheat us out of the incredible attractions that are capable of building. As the saying goes "If you build it, they will come". Look at California Adventure what a flop. They took prime real estate and knocked-off a Six Flags on-site. On paper it looked like a Universal Orlando Clone. With Downtown Disney set between two Disney theme parks it would seem destined for success, but again Budget Axes cut down this great idea.
I think that if you polled most regulars on this Universal Board you find that a major reason that they are so into Universal/IOA is that they see more in the final product/attraction that is directly related to the dream that created the idea for that attraction than they do from the Disney counterparts.
Upon first visit, nothing compares to that magical first journey to Magic Kingdom. It's the subsequent visits that a frequent guest begins to notice the weakening of the mouse's facade. Maybe IOA is still too new to compare in this manner, but if you recall, prior to IOA's opening, Universal Studios was rated tops of all Orlando Theme Parks and how old is it now? And still it grows better with the addition of MIB and the developement of the entire resort property.
I long for the lost innocence I once regarded towards WDW and now can only hope to visit Disney Properties across the globe to truly experience today's version of what most closely resembles the Original Dream that Walt once wanted to share with the world.
HAVE FUN

Originally posted by rocketman23
I don't know why people do this. I suppose it might be because those are the only two "tower" rides in the state and the people don't know any other. .:D

Well, I kind of do. I usually say they both toss your stomach up in the air then down & inside out! But are themed & designed very differently. Does it really matter that people compare them to each other?

Great point Tony M

I hear that Disney Tokyo, DisneySea (Journey to the Center of the Earth), and Disneyland PAris (and Indiana Jones Roller Coaster that isn't at all like the Indy Ride in CA)

All have rides that are outstanding. I hear European Theme PArks have some kiler rides in general so they have to compete.

Here in the U.S. If every member of the family (incluing 2 year old Timmy and 102 year old Gran'ma) can't all go on the same ride, people are outraged.

One good example of watering down a ride was (from rumor) Star Tours - I hear that the first folks to ride the original were really shook up (nausea, wobbly)... while that is not the ideal extreme, the current ride isn't too "thrilling"

Don't get me wrong... I like Disney stuff, but I am glad IOA pushed the envelope a little

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter