Wife Just Finishing Chemo,... needs

WDWOKW92

Mouseketeer
My wife has had 4 surgeries (2 minor, 2 major) over the past 8 months. She will be finishing her last chemo treatment this week. First let me say she is doing very well considering everything that has transpired and her prognosis looks very good. :sunny:

We will be converging to the Mouse House September 28 - October 4 at POFQ. We made the ressies online. Should we now call and request a King bed and a room closest to the bus stop? I'm not sure how her energy level will be by then,... should be okay,... but I don't want to take any chances.

What kind of experience do any of you have with WDW granting requests from families with cancer patients? Any help / advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I would recommend calling asap to put in your request - make sure your ressie states your wife is recovering from chemo treatments or something along those lines so they realize it's a medical request.

I would hope that would give you a higher priority in room assignments but of course with Disney, there are no guarantees. That being said, the time of year you are going is not peak season so imo I would think your requests would be granted.

Good luck and have a great trip - my prayers will be with your family that your wife continues on the road to a full recovery. :)

You can make request do to medcial necessity just have to make sure those arrangments are made thru special services and they will be honored.

I would also give serious thought to renting an ECV for her from an off-site company. Click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page; it will take you to the Index and then the 5th item down is the "disABILITIES FAQ" which will give you lots of information.

Not only would I rent an ECV, so that she can use all her energy enjoying her rides, and shows, and breathing in the Magic of Disney, I would calll special services and ask them to make sure your room is for ECV/handicap... those rooms I understand are King size, and if you have an ecv, you wont have to stress about the walk to the busses...

I would also make sure you read the suggestions for positive ECV use here too! Just think how special it will all be!! Make sure you plan some wonderful dining experiences too!!

:grouphug:

eeyore45 said:
Not only would I rent an ECV, so that she can use all her energy enjoying her rides, and shows, and breathing in the Magic of Disney, I would calll special services and ask them to make sure your room is for ECV/handicap... those rooms I understand are King size, and if you have an ecv, you wont have to stress about the walk to the busses...

I would also make sure you read the suggestions for positive ECV use here too! Just think how special it will all be!! Make sure you plan some wonderful dining experiences too!!

:grouphug:
The handicapped rooms themselves are not king sized, some of them have King beds instead of 2 doubles. That is not probably not really necessary unless she needs to use an ecv to get around the room. Some of the handicapped rooms have a roll in shower - nice if you need that amount of access, but some people would rather have a bathtub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter