• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness Lodge w/ and ECV?

cupcake

Mouseketeer
I recall seeing that some posters had problems with accessibility at the WL due to water levels. My search of older posts confirmed this, but the posts on this topic are not very recent.

Any information about taking an EVC on the boat from the WL to the MK would be very appreciated. I am accompanying my dh next week on a business trip (business for him, fun for me!). You all know me -- a big worrier!

:wave: Cupcake

:wave2: Hi cupcake,
I just got back from the lodge in Nov. I was unable to use the boat because there was about a 3" step up and there was no room to manuver a powerchair once you were on it. The boats were pretty little and had small aisles.

That being said, the WL was accessible in every way except for the boats. I found it very easy to hop a bus to the TTC and ride the monorail or the large boat to MK.

I'm sure a regular w/c wouldn't have much of a problem with the step up, but a 300lb powerchair or a ECV would. Don't worry, your trip will still be great! Kim::yes:: ::yes::

I think it was not last year that we stayed ther, but the year before. We had no problem with DD's manual wheelchair even though there was a level differnce because we were able to lift her in her chair over the gap. But, if she had her power wheelchair, it would have been a different story. We were told we would have to use the buses if we could not get on the boat, but we would have taken the buses everywhere except MK anyway.
The water level situation changes (based on how much rain they have had, of course), so I don't think you will know untiel you get there.

I will report back when I return! Since I will be with my dh, I figure in a worst case scenario, I will leap up like a gazelle (hahahaha) and then he can disassemble the ECV enough to get it on. He's gotten very fast at it!

Thanks again!!

We used the boat quite a bit from Ft. Wilderness with ECVs in December. If the water level is fairly close, the boat captains will keep an eye out and make sure depending on the "load" of the boat to allow ECV riders to load at a point when the boat is level.

One time they even asked those on board to all stand at the other side of the boat to even it up so that we could board!!

What I am saying is that even though they say you may not be able to board with an ECV, the boat crew will do everything in their power to make it happen!!

I personally hate using the buses with an ECV, so one morning we actually got to MGM without using the buses!! It took us longer but it was a pleasant morning.

(FYI - We took the boat to MK, took the monorail to TTC, took another monorail to EPCOT, then rode through Epcot, then took the boardwalk path from Internation Gateway to MGM)

Carol

Originally posted by clkelley
We used the boat quite a bit from Ft. Wilderness with ECVs in December. If the water level is fairly close, the boat captains will keep an eye out and make sure depending on the "load" of the boat to allow ECV riders to load at a point when the boat is level.

One time they even asked those on board to all stand at the other side of the boat to even it up so that we could board!!

What I am saying is that even though they say you may not be able to board with an ECV, the boat crew will do everything in their power to make it happen!!

I personally hate using the buses with an ECV, so one morning we actually got to MGM without using the buses!! It took us longer but it was a pleasant morning.

(FYI - We took the boat to MK, took the monorail to TTC, took another monorail to EPCOT, then rode through Epcot, then took the boardwalk path from Internation Gateway to MGM)

Carol
I've seen the boat captains do the same thing (not for us, since we didn't need it, but fro ecv drivers). If they can make it work, they will.

And about your trip to MGM via Epcot, you just took the scenic route!

What's the path from the Int'l Gateway to MGM?!?!?!? I haven't had any issues with the boat to MGM from the Epcot resorts but since I am by myself and using an ECV, I may as well just go directly.

What's the path from the Int'l Gateway to MGM?!?!?!? I haven't had any issues with the boat to MGM from the Epcot resorts but since I am by myself and using an ECV, I may as well just go directly.

The path is the one that goes along the water canal to the different resorts, past YC/BC, past the Swan and Dolphin (but on the opposite side of the canal from them). It's not short, but a nice path. It was about a 10-15 minute walk for DH and I when we stayed at BC in July.

Also, the boats at Epcot and the Epcot resorts are not going to be a problem for wheelchairs or ecvs. A CM explained to me that since those are small bodies of water, they can control the height of the water by letting more or less water into the canals (DD is the same way). Bay Lake (the lake by MK) is too big for them to change the water level, so they are dependent on weather conditions for the water level there. I heard that the dock for the boat that goes between MK and TTC was recently changed to make it useable in more water conditions, but the docks at the MK resorts are still dependent on the water level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter