Will Ariel sing?

DeeSee

Earning My Ears
If we meet Ariel at MK, would she sing Happy Birthday if asked? Or at a character meal?

“Can you sing happy birthday” is honestly a bit of a forward question to ask. Now, you can mention it’s someone’s birthday and the character might do it unprompted – or simply say happy birthday. But expecting someone to perform on command is not something I’d ever ask for.

You can mention at the character breakfast ot character meet and greet about the birthday.Your birthday person could wear a Happy Birthday button. They may or may not sprinkle some pixie dust, but nothing is guaranteed nor should guests expect characters to perform for them.

Offer her a dingelhopper, maybe, as a pay-for-hire kind of situation?

But consider that just because she LOOKS the part doesn't mean she SOUNDS the part. You could get an Ariel whose voice has already been stolen by Ursula.

this - while Disney does get many capable performers to hire into face character roles, when they are assigned to play a particular character it's generally due to appearance, not whether they can sing like the role in the movie. And there is a risk of the character breaking the magic by NOT sounding like the movie.

But as a side note, I saw Jodi Benson last year on an interview. She looks older obviously and when she talks she doesn't sound much like Ariel. However, she was talking about how kids don't believe she was Ariel, so she would sing a line and dang if she didn't still sound exactly like her younger self. It's mind boggling how well she kept her singing voice.

this - while Disney does get many capable performers to hire into face character roles, when they are assigned to play a particular character it's generally due to appearance, not whether they can sing like the role in the movie. And there is a risk of the character breaking the magic by NOT sounding like the movie.
Are the character's allowed to sing? Knowing that some probably know how to sing and some don't. I know Belle won't speak french even if the performer can speak french fluently, because the next Belle that comes out probably can't. So they try to keep it consistent.

But as a side note, I saw Jodi Benson last year on an interview. She looks older obviously and when she talks she doesn't sound much like Ariel. However, she was talking about how kids don't believe she was Ariel, so she would sing a line and dang if she didn't still sound exactly like her younger self. It's mind boggling how well she kept her singing voice.

I saw her at the Broadway Princess Party in NYC last October, and it was MAGICAL :)

while Disney does get many capable performers to hire into face character roles, when they are assigned to play a particular character it's generally due to appearance, not whether they can sing like the role in the movie. And there is a risk of the character breaking the magic by NOT sounding like the movie.
Right. This is exactly what I was wondering. I wasn’t sure if it’s considered part of the role to be able to sound reasonably like the character as well, or if they’re even permitted to sing. I wouldn’t want to put some poor woman on the spot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!