Will dogs be allowed at a DVC resort??

Most high end hotels allow dogs these days. Never had a problem with cleanliness or otherwise. It makes a ton of sense on a business level and I’m glad to see this change. My only concern with DVC would be the infrequent cleanings. That will become an allergy and odor issue.

We have been AP holders at Dollywood for many years, and we often rent a dog friendly cabin. We bring our dog to Doggywood, an on site kennel when we are in the park.

Yes, we pay extra for the cabin, plus we pay for the kennel, but it’s nice to have our dog with us. I would love to walk Gus around fort Wilderness!

Any contract experts out there know if there's anything stopping them from allowing dogs on DVC properties?
I don't think so - didn't they allow dogs in the DVC resorts during IRMA?

I would think the housekeeping frequency (and time allotted per room for pet occupied rooms) would have to increase if dogs were allowed in the DVC resorts. That would seem to require more staff & I wonder if the daily fees would be enough to cover it. If not, members would pick up the tab for the extra staff.

I worry about the impact of dogs left alone in the rooms while the owners are gone for long periods of time - since only ADA service animals are allowed in the parks, it's very likely that pets and emotional support animals will end up alone in the rooms.

I want to see only service animals as defined by the ADA in the DVC resorts. BTW, that doesn't include emotional support animals. Disney has elected not to differentiate - leading to abuse and that is too bad.

Any contract experts out there know if there's anything stopping them from allowing dogs on DVC properties?
I'd have to review but I think they'd have to change the POS. In this case I'd think they could easily on their end since it would be an "enhancement" to the membership. So the bottom line is I don't see any contractual deterrent. The timeshares that allow pets normally have villas specified so this would likely take certain villas off the market for some and lock those with pets into others.

Hope they don't allow dogs to be left alone in the room and glad I am not a housekeeper.
They are saying dogs can be left for up to 7 hours alone and are expected to remain silent. If you are called, you are supposed to be back in 30 minutes. Good luck enforcing that policy.
* Should have said, you are called to address the noise in 30 minutes - not sure if that means you have to be back in 30 minutes.

We are dog lovers but not on vacation. I can see it now, somebody gets bit by a so-called well behaved dog. Disney gets sued and gets to case dismissed. What's new!!

What about the cat and bird lovers. Are they next?
Let's see what else can Disney allow?

I doubt that DVC will participate and if they did talking about a class action suit is a waste time. What are you going to do, sue Disney to remove dogs from the DVC rooms, how is that going to pay the lawyers?

:earsboy: Bill

I want to see only service animals as defined by the ADA in the DVC resorts. BTW, that doesn't include emotional support animals. Disney has elected not to differentiate - leading to abuse and that is too bad.

It is actually illegal to ask someone what kind of support the animal provides, or what their disability is, under the ADA.

So, your suggestion to not allow emotional support animals is a violation of the ADA, which is why Disney doesn't "differentiate".

It is actually illegal to ask someone what kind of support the animal provides, or what their disability is, under the ADA.

So, your suggestion to not allow emotional support animals is a violation of the ADA, which is why Disney doesn't "differentiate".
That’s not true. You can ask two questions:
1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Now, Disney probably doesn’t want the liability if the CM decides to ask different questions or isn’t properly trained. So training probably just says, “don’t ask.”

Emotional support / comfort animals are not covered by the ADA. They are covered by the Fair Housing laws, which do not apply to hotels.

"Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal". For more, here's a link to a summary of the laws regarding the difference:

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

As far as legitimate ADA service animals go, you can ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform and if the animal is required due to a disability. You cannot ask about the person's disability.

I agree that Disney would rather ignore the issue than try to make sure all its employees are properly trained. There's a lot of misinformation out there on this subject.

I love dogs. My dog is the most spoiled rotten golden retriever on the face of this earth. However, I personally want someone else to care for my dog while I'm vacation. I won't get into support dogs. Just talking regular pets. When I'm away, I don't want to be rushing back to the room to attend my dog. I don't want to be in a neighboring room with a dog barking. And how about those who don't rush back to attend to their dog? And now will they have places for the dog to get their business done? No no no and no again.

Since they ...Disney are doing this trial run for a year!! Allowing one to two dogs to stay in a hotel room...Can they legally start doing this at one of the DVC resorts???
\
There is quite a long thread about this recent ruling on the Resorts Boards.....

Many people who are animal lovers or dog owners are not pleased about this it seems...

Being our family has been to Dis at BWV and SSR 3 x in one year and having 2 adult grand kids with allergies to cats and dogs....I am concerned..

Any thought on the legal aspects of this??

Legally? Disney could allow it. There is nothing in the contract that dictates room occupancies, including animal occupancy.

Practically, given the housekeeping issues, I doubt they would allow it on points reservations. The pilot adds significant nightly cost via a housekeeping fee, and that kind of thing is harder to deal with in DVC given the reduced schedule.

Legally? Disney could allow it. There is nothing in the contract that dictates room occupancies, including animal occupancy.

Practically, given the housekeeping issues, I doubt they would allow it on points reservations. The pilot adds significant nightly cost via a housekeeping fee, and that kind of thing is harder to deal with in DVC given the reduced schedule.

Like, but disagree.... a contract omission could just as easily "allow" cannibals :). That which is not included, is NOT in the CONTRACT. At the time you signed it.

REAL question: NOT IN the contract? Effect on Maintenance fees? Breakage? Allow Dogs, and a case could be made that members are no longer responsible for these items, as the CONTRACT was unilaterally changed. Here comes a class action....

Second effect: Outstanding contract points, unsold. WDW - do you really want to do this? The effect would be that no one could actually TRUST the CONTRACT. POISON DVC Contracts? Bad idea....

Now - as we hit Break Even in 2018? No problem. We can sell 270 BRV Points for $1, and excuse ourselves from a Dog Kennel. And loose NOTHING over discounted Room Rates, previous 6 years. $1? Can anyone say ROFR? :). Imagine the effect if HUNDREDS of DVC members did this.... Likely a very BAD business decision.

Ahead of time, as I will be "branded" - no, not anti dog. Just anti dung in MY DVC - it's NOT in the CONTRACT. Do this in main rental rooms, and track how quickly folks begin to request "no dog rooms".

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

On the other hand, original buyers at BWV and BCV bought into studios that slept 4. The 5th sleeping space was added, and arguably putting a 5th into those spaces regularly increases wear and tear on all soft goods and flooring, which is a dues issue.

So I kind of see it on the same continuum.

Our Chihuahua mix will leave poop prizes to mark his space. Front door, back door, bedroom door, where ever he needs to draw the line for our other dog. If we brought him to WDW, I would be afraid that he would be pooped out. :rolleyes:

:earsboy: Bill

I think Disney will see a lot of push back from this, especially from people who booked these resorts with the knowledge that they were not pet friendly to begin with when booking several months ago and now have to deal with possibly being stuck next to a dog.

Count me as one of the owners who will probably be selling if pets are allowed at my home resort or any other DVC resort. I bought in knowing that DVC wasn't pet friendly and thus didn't have to worry about my allergies.

I have heard a lot of excuses about allowing service dogs and how people with allergies don't complain about those dogs, so why not allow everyone's dogs. Most people who are allergic to dogs tolerate having service animals around since they are needed by their owners to lead a somewhat normal life, but they are few and far between in the general public. It is the build up of dander on surfaces that causes allergic reactions in people, and if you increase the number of dogs you will increase the amount of pet dander at the resorts. Regular cleaning does not remove these allergens, only steam cleaning does.

Needless to say I'm very disappointed with Disney at this moment, especially since we already booked our first stay at BCV for April which is attached to the Yacht Club and will have to contend with dogs in the resort. I guess I'll have to bring an extra inhaler and extra medication.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts