Will I feel deprived?

abby

Abby's Mom
Went to DL in April and had a great time, stayed at the DLH. My DD is beggin me to plan another trip, money wise it would be more doable, sooner if we stayed off site. Will I have deprived having stayed at DL the first time? If we were to go off site what would you recommend? Am thinking of going in December. Thanks :rotfl: :cool1: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc

Abby,
I think the most important factor in this decision is your DD's age. If your DD is young, staying on site is sooooo much easier for naps/rest periods. If she can do a full day without a nap, than I say strongly consider offsite!!! I have stayed both on & off site many times and there are pros/cons to both.
Offsite you will, of course, save major money. Onsite you will, of course, save time. Depending on when you go in December this time saving will or will not be a major factor.
My DH and I have stayed onsite since our DD was born. This is mainly because she is in a wheelchair so the convenience of onsite is really important to us. Before she was born we often stayed offsite and the hotels are so close it's really not too bad. We really like the Stovall's Best Western or Stovall's Pavilions. They are on the corner of Katella & Disney Way and a very easy walk. (We haven't stayed offsite since DCA went in, so I don't have an opinion on the hotels/motels across Harbor Blvd because it used to be such a pain to cross the street.)
As far as feeling deprived, that depends on your expectations. If you spend the majority of your time in the parks, than is it worth it to spend the extra money for onsite? I really love the resort hotels, but I always come home feeling like I really didn't take advantage of all they offer. We have been 3 times in the last 4 years and I have not been in the pool at the DLH once in that time!! I'd much rather spend the time in DL!!
If you could go back as soon as December by staying offsite, than I would say GO FOR IT!!! :cool1:

I would always prefer to stay onsite than off... mainly because by the time I'm done shopping at Downtown Disney, I'd already be halfway to my room!

But that being said, and economics playing a large factor, there are several nice hotels within the same walking distance the other direction, on Harbor.

We recently stayed at the Candy Cane Inn and found it nice. This weekend we are staying at the HoJo. I'm sure it will be just as good. I LOVE being immersed in the Disney magic, so onsite will always be a plus for me, but if it is the difference between going and not going, then I will choose off-site and having fun!

I'm a little confused by the answer above - how is staying at the DLH on- site? It is not on-site and is further from DL than some of the hotels on Harbor.

There is only one on-site hotel in Anaheim - the Grand Californian, and even then, only for access to DCA.

If having convenient access to a hotel for little ones is a factor, then any of a dozen hotels on Harbor is just as, if not more convenient, than DLH.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson last December on our first (and so far only) visit to DL and loved it - it was 10 minutes walk and a wonderful, yet cheap hotel. Many others here will say the same about the Candy Cane Inn.

I can't see that we missed anything by staying at the HoJo because we spent virtuallyall day in the parks anyway, and then, because we had a Disney View room, could see the Matterhorn and monorail from our balcony and had a clear view of the fireworks.

abby said:
Went to DL in April and had a great time, stayed at the DLH. My DD is beggin me to plan another trip, money wise it would be more doable, sooner if we stayed off site. Will I have deprived having stayed at DL the first time? If we were to go off site what would you recommend? Am thinking of going in December. Thanks :rotfl: :cool1: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc

I'm currently at the Park Place Inn and Mini Suites on Harbor. It's closer to maingate than the DLH. It was also around $100 for a room with 2 queen beds and a queen sleeper sofa.

bubbasmom99 said:
We recently stayed at the Candy Cane Inn and found it nice. This weekend we are staying at the HoJo. I'm sure it will be just as good. I LOVE being immersed in the Disney magic, so onsite will always be a plus for me, but if it is the difference between going and not going, then I will choose off-site and having fun!
I would be interested in your opinion on which is better for 2 adults and a 3-year-old. My son's GF and her DD will be coming down for one night during our trip and they are trying to decide between these two hotels. Please let me know after you get back! :flower:

We stayed at the Park Inn (not Park Place Inn). It was very close. Only a very short walk to the crosswalk, cross the street, and you are at the main entrance. It was basic, but good enough to sleep in, since that is all we did, as we spent all day and evening at the park. We did go there one afternoon to swim and rest, and it only took us 5 minutes to get back to the DLand gates. There is a McDonalds next door, and a few other restaurants very close. I would definately stay on Harbor Blvd again, it is so close, and much cheaper.

We have stayed at a number of places near DL, including one time at the GC. We loved the GC :love: , but the reality is that it is just not in our budget as a regular thing. Our favorite place is the Candy Cane--the rooms are clean and fairly quiet and there is a great breakfast (great for those places that offer free breakfast, that is). It's not a long walk--we did it last year many times with 9, 10, and 11 year olds and a four year old, although late at night we waited for the shuttle. :moped:

The rooms have small refrigerators so we can bring our own food and picnic at the park for lunch (saves $$$). We often go back in the afternoon for a nap, especially in the summer when the park is hot and crowded.

BTW--Hi Bubbasmom from Elk Grove! We've "talked" before on EGO. Hope your upcoming Disney trip is fabulous! (What am I saying, how could it be anything but? :earboy2: ) See you at the Castello park day!

but I'd strongly recommend HoJo's. I have 2 kids...ages 4 and 9...and they loved it! There's a baby pool, a kid pool, a quiet adult pool, and a hot-tub. There's also an arcade (but why you'd need that I have no idea!).

The staff there was extremely kid friendly.

The walk is nothing...and there's always the ART if you don't care to walk.

To be honest, quality of stay-wise, it was pretty darned close to the All Stars resorts. The only thing they were missing was the tv showing movies while parents check in. Then again, check-in there took about half the time of check-in at ASM, so I'm not sure that's a loss!

My answer would be, if you are the type who spend a big chunk of the day at your hotel, you might "miss" the Disney hotel experience. My kids and I were at the parks every morning, waiting for the gates to open or rope to drop. We stayed every night to within a half hour of the official closing time. By the time we got to the hotel, they had time for a quick swim, a shower, and they were in bed fast asleep!

If you're like us, you won't be missing anything!

A word about HoJo's. We stayed there two summers ago. No complaints about the hotel. It was great. But we walked to DL in the morning, walked back for lunch, swim and nap, walked back to DL in the afternoon, and then back to HoJo's at night. I did not think the extra distance would matter. It did. This summer we are going to try the Best Western across the street to reduce walking (about 5 minutes each way).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter