Will MLB have to abandoned the shortened season?

The Marlins are looking at their options for calling up additional players, lol.

I personally would love to see them bring up Eddie Alvarez, mentioned at the end of the story below. Eddie is not only a baseball player, he's also an Olympic medalist (Silver) speed skater. He's been in pro baseball for years, but never up to the Bigs, and this is probably his best chance.
https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/marlins-considering-roster-moves
Eddie is figure-skating queen Ashley Wagner's former boyfriend and they both used to skate at our rink with Eddie's family when they were together. Ashley would bundle up in a big overcoat trying to be all incognito, but the high-level figure skaters would ID her instantly, and you'd get this -- Ashley is the blond in the middle, DD far right.

And, of course, the 1-on-1's:

Yea, the Marlins lack of following protocols is going to mess up MLB bad - and blow the Phillies season out of the water.

Well need a spreadsheet to keep track of postponed games.

MLB said double header make-ups will be only 7 innings, not 9. Expecting many to come.

Well need a spreadsheet to keep track of postponed games.

MLB said double header make-ups will be only 7 innings, not 9. Expecting many to come.

Now it is getting silly. Starting runners on second, shortening games, it is fundamentally changing the game. I'd prefer they just skip the season. @low-key asked about devaluing the champions of this season and it fundamental rule changes as opposed to the shortened season that will devalue the winner.

Now it is getting silly. Starting runners on second, shortening games, it is fundamentally changing the game. I'd prefer they just skip the season. @low-key asked about devaluing the champions of this season and it fundamental rule changes as opposed to the shortened season that will devalue the winner.
Yeah, I'm waiting for postponed games to be decided by a coin toss!

Yes, there's the hope to keep the players healthy and the hope of all teams playing a similar shortened schedule. But the overall integrity of the game is being bashed right now trying to force a season. It's not baseball when teams are seeing close to double-digit games postponed, and other teams will be putting ads online for players to come and try out for their roster because they have the whole team on COVID leave. It was a pretty poor plan to begin with, put in place so they could grab some TV money and pay the MLB players some of their salary. But since the competitive balance of the game is so skewed by this (and there will be more problems coming, you can count on it), it's time to cut losses and plan for 2021. This "season" isn't helping anyone who needs it anyway - the ball park vendors and help staff and security people and parking attendants are outside looking in anyway.

They might as well give up. They aren't in a true bubble like the NBA and as long as they're traveling, etc. it's just going to spread. IT blows my mind that the NFL thinks they can pull off a season. I mean, in baseball at least they players aren't lying all over each other and in each other's faces very much. Football has way too much contact to pull it off, unless they were to go into a true bubble like the NBA or MSL. But the minute you start traveling and exposing players to various hotels, planes, busses, restaurants, etc., it's over.

Well I’m still hopeful. My reds had one player test positive. Two others felt sick but were negative and are back playing. I’ve seen masks worn in the dugout and the third baseman wears one as far as I can tell. To me at least people are trying to have done fun and something to watch is better than nothing. Players had the option to not play and some exercised that option.

What's next? Batting off a Tee?

They might as well give up. They aren't in a true bubble like the NBA and as long as they're traveling, etc. it's just going to spread. IT blows my mind that the NFL thinks they can pull off a season. I mean, in baseball at least they players aren't lying all over each other and in each other's faces very much. Football has way too much contact to pull it off, unless they were to go into a true bubble like the NBA or MSL. But the minute you start traveling and exposing players to various hotels, planes, busses, restaurants, etc., it's over.
As I mentioned previously, I don't think traveling is the problem. They have their own planes & chartered buses. They're not sharing transportation with anyone. Their food is brought to them, because they're not allowed to leave the hotel, except on the team bus to the stadium. I'm sure those buses are cleaned well, before they step foot on them.

They pretty much guaranteed failure, when they agreed to allow the players to stay in their own homes for home games. There's no way they're all going straight to the stadium & straight back home. Even if they were, they'd also have to make sure their families didn't leave the house. If the commissioner & owners hadn't given into the MLBPA & insisted on the same rules for home games that they have for away games, they had a much better chance of finishing the season.

As far as mask compliance goes, there are still players that aren't wearing one & managers that have them underneath their chin in the dugouts. Fortunately, most are wearing them. IMO, they need to start heavily fining any player or manager caught in the dugout without a properly worn mask.

Last edited:
As I mentioned previously, I don't think traveling is the problem. They have their own planes & chartered buses. They're not sharing transportation with anyone. Their food is brought to them, because they're not allowed to leave the hotel, except on the team bus to the stadium. I'm sure those buses are cleaned well, before they step foot on them.

They pretty much guaranteed failure, when they agreed to allow the players to stay in their own homes for home games. There's no way they're all going straight to the stadium & straight back home. Even if they were, they'd also have to make sure their families didn't leave the house. If the commissioner & owners hadn't given into the MLBPA & insisted on the same rules for home games that they have for away games, they had a much better chance of finishing the season.

As far as mask compliance goes, there are still players that aren't wearing one & managers that have them underneath their chin in the dugouts. Fortunately, most are wearing them. IMO, they need to start heavily fining any player or manager caught in the dugout without a properly worn mask.

I agree, once they agreed to allow players to stay in their homes during home series, they blew their chances. But, I do think that the travel is likely not helping either. Even with chartered planes and buses, they're likely not getting the same pilots/crews for every flight, bus trip. It just increases the chances that the players will get sick the more people you bring into the mix. And longer flights outside of a "bubble" aren't likely helping either. Also, different stadiums, locker rooms in various states around the country, some with higher viral spread, is contributing to the problem.

They're not going to finish the season. And the NFL will have an even tougher time. Their rosters are far bigger than any other sport. Twice that of the MLB and over three times the size of the NBA. More players....more problems.

If baseball can’t pull it off there is not a chance that football can.

I’m quoting you, but this isn’t directed at you.

It IS possible to have full contact sports be successful. Yes, it’s early, but the NHL has no active cases inside the bubble. Everyone seems to forget all about it, probably because it’s in Canada 🙄

I’m quoting you, but this isn’t directed at you.

It IS possible to have full contact sports be successful. Yes, it’s early, but the NHL has no active cases inside the bubble. Everyone seems to forget all about it, probably because it’s in Canada 🙄

Yes, that's true. I don't know what rules the NHL is following, but the NFL is going to have a tough time containing their players outside of a super tight bubble. Lots of big personalities....that kind of thing. They would need an NBA-level bubble, and I'm not quite sure how they'd do that.

I agree, once they agreed to allow players to stay in their homes during home series, they blew their chances. But, I do think that the travel is likely not helping either. Even with chartered planes and buses, they're likely not getting the same pilots/crews for every flight, bus trip. It just increases the chances that the players will get sick the more people you bring into the mix. And longer flights outside of a "bubble" aren't likely helping either. Also, different stadiums, locker rooms in various states around the country, some with higher viral spread, is contributing to the problem.

They're not going to finish the season. And the NFL will have an even tougher time. Their rosters are far bigger than any other sport. Twice that of the MLB and over three times the size of the NBA. More players....more problems.

I'm sure the pilots & bus drivers are tested, before they have access to the players & coaches. The locker room issue could be solved by a deep cleaning after each game or double header. I agree that they could do a few things better on the road, but they're in an impossible situation for home games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter