Will MLB have to abandoned the shortened season?

Our MLB stadium said no tailgating this year which TBH I hadn't considered even doing that, despite tailgating being big here, because you aren't allowed inside the stadium as no fans are allowed in the stands with the pandemic going on. If you try to tailgate you're supposed to be asked to leave the premises.

I’m quoting you, but this isn’t directed at you.

It IS possible to have full contact sports be successful. Yes, it’s early, but the NHL has no active cases inside the bubble. Everyone seems to forget all about it, probably because it’s in Canada 🙄
I doubt being in Canada has anything to do with it. Sports in general is just a concern all over. There's concern over youth sports same as professional or semi-professional teams. I'd say one of the only edges youth sports may have is if they are not a traveling team and just play in one's home area against other teams. Still concerns over outbreaks but less concern over spread or getting it from some city elsewhere.

We have a professional hockey team that is an affiliate of the NHL's Calgary Flames and AHL's Stockton Heat here in my area. It's not NHL but in the ECHL category. They are going full steam ahead but it doesn't mean they aren't going to have some of the same obstacles in keeping players, staff and others as safe as can be. It's not that hockey is different sport than football or baseball. Much of the inherent risk will fall on all the same measures being taken for other sports..just hoping that all are followed.

It IS possible to have full contact sports be successful. Yes, it’s early, but the NHL has no active cases inside the bubble. Everyone seems to forget all about it, probably because it’s in Canada 🙄
I don't think it has anything to do with Canada. Football, baseball & basketball are just more popular in the US.

41 min agoMajor League Baseball commissioner warns of Covid-19 shutdown
From CNN's David Close
Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred
Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred Alex Trautwig/MLB Photos/Getty Images/FILE

ESPN is reporting that Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred warned players union head Tony Clark on a Friday call that if the league and players don’t do a better job following Covid-19 protocols and better manage the virus, Manfred could shut down the shortened season.
On Friday, both the MLB and MLB Players Association announced that 29 players and staff have tested positive for Covid-19 this week.
CNN has reached out to the league for comment but has not heard back. A union spokesperson told CNN no comment.

Wasn't ignoring NHL it is was just more that the NFL is not in a bubble and more similar to the MLB.

I do believe a bubble can work if it is strictly maintained.

The article is from July 13. Since players have been in the two bubble cities, there have been over 800 tests and only two positive results. On the latest test, a few days ago, there were zero.
Yup. With a 14 day quarantine time frame I think it is still worth noting.

Just saw an update..1500 tests are being done daily and since Sunday, no positive cases. It only takes one moron to break the bubble but I’m pretty hopeful that won’t be the case

It’s actually 1500 per city per day.

Yes Hockey and Basketball doing a great job, But if you start up the season, you know you will have challenges, don't be luke warm, be hot or cold, this we might stop, we might not, makes it hard for even great baseball fans to keep watching player and owners screw up everything

Sadly, I think they are going to have to cancel the season. MLB and the MLBPA are morons. They should have had a bubble from the start but were too greedy and selfish and now are going to end up losing all this potential TV revenue.

Once again the NBA is at the forefront although I will concede that it's easier to bubble with only 15 players on a team compared to 26-40 players on a team as in baseball or 53 man roster in the NFL.

So, the Cardinals have 7 players test positive and 6 staff members. They’ve listened the most recent 3-game series and now will postpone a 4-game series. With only a 60-game season, does MLB (or more like, Manfred) plan to possibly have double-headers regularly to keep the season going?

Just shut it down.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29590369/cardinals-tigers-postponed-due-virus-outbreak
Assuming they continue I could see them pushing back the playoffs and having maybe a 2 week window to make up games.

So, the Cardinals have 7 players test positive and 6 staff members. They’ve listened the most recent 3-game series and now will postpone a 4-game series. With only a 60-game season, does MLB (or more like, Manfred) plan to possibly have double-headers regularly to keep the season going?

Just shut it down.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29590369/cardinals-tigers-postponed-due-virus-outbreak
Double headers are the plan as of now. The Rays have a series against the Yankees coming up where the Thurs. game was postponed & a double header scheduled for Sat. This change was to fit in a Yankees/Phillies game, due to one of their games being postponed. It's looking like the schedules are going to be constantly changing this season.

Double headers are the plan as of now. The Rays have a series against the Yankees coming up where the Thurs. game was postponed & a double header scheduled for Sat. This change was to fit in a Yankees/Phillies game, due to one of their games being postponed. It's looking like the schedules are going to be constantly changing this season.
Yeah, and I saw something about the double-headers might be shortened to make them less problematic.

I think a previous poster was right -- we're gonna get to T-Ball pretty soon!

Yeah, and I saw something about the double-headers might be shortened to make them less problematic.

I think a previous poster was right -- we're gonna get to T-Ball pretty soon!

Yup, I read that they're having a lot of issues with pitchers.....arms are giving out because they ramped up quickly to start this joke of a season. More guys opting out left and right. And yes, double headers are 7 innings.....it's legit little league now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter