Will staying off site be a risk with reduced park admissions ?

kg66

DIS Veteran
We are looking for a late fall trip and are tossed between staying off-site as Disney has said parks will most likely take a while to open at full status. What does everyone think, will Disney allow their guests in park and off site tickets be on a limited basis? I am bringing people who have not been before, and don't want to get there all the way from Canada and we can't get in. I have no problem staying on site, but I want an idea of my options. TIA for any info you can send my way!

No way to know. I will say for our Aug trip we are bookending our stay at a hotel near the airport due to flight times. This seems like a good idea, unless Disney decides to treat pre-screened airline passengers differently than guest who arrive by car. That could mess up our plans to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and catch DME to and from the World. Just "what-if" speculation on our part, no way to know that either.

One way to possibly get some extra protection when staying offsite is to make sure that you have an in-park dining reservation for every day you plan to visit a park. The Disney phased park closures currently prioritize those with in-park reservations; obviously nobody knows what the post-reopening policies would be but it seems like a sensible thing to do.

One way to possibly get some extra protection when staying offsite is to make sure that you have an in-park dining reservation for every day you plan to visit a park. The Disney phased park closures currently prioritize those with in-park reservations; obviously nobody knows what the post-reopening policies would be but it seems like a sensible thing to do.
I've seen a lot of speculation that, assuming capacity will be greatly reduced, perhaps Disney will mirror their phased closure approach like they do during the holidays and other busy times. In addition to those with in-park dining reservations, Disney resort guests are also always allowed in. No one knows anything for sure, but I think if Disney were to tweak their current capacity closure procedures, Disney resort guests would trump those with in-park dining reservation. In other words, I can definitely see some priority being given to Disney resort guests before anyone else, so it will be interesting to see what their operating procedures will look like.

I've seen a lot of speculation that, assuming capacity will be greatly reduced, perhaps Disney will mirror their phased closure approach like they do during the holidays and other busy times. In addition to those with in-park dining reservations, Disney resort guests are also always allowed in. No one knows anything for sure, but I think if Disney were to tweak their current capacity closure procedures, Disney resort guests would trump those with in-park dining reservation. In other words, I can definitely see some priority being given to Disney resort guests before anyone else, so it will be interesting to see what their operating procedures will look like.
That's what we were thinking for this next trip in November too.

I would wait for some more information and clarity from Disney. The wheels seem to be rolling when it comes to the reopening process, and I feel like we will start hearing some more about the phasing here pretty soon.

I agree that a ”Wait and See” approach is best for now. Maybe plan for both scenarios. I would watch closely and be ready to book something when it becomes clear though. This is purely speculation on my part but if they do limit capacity to onsite guests and are only allowing a reduced percentage of guests in, I would assume those onsite reservations will book up very quickly.

This is purely speculation on my part but if they do limit capacity to onsite guests and are only allowing a reduced percentage of guests in, I would assume those onsite reservations will book up very quickly.
Resort reservation availability at WDW is wide open this summer. Even if staying onsite guarantees that you'll get in, I don't think they will be able to fill up the resorts. To do that, Disney needs people coming in from all around the country and overseas, and that just isn't going to happen this summer, to even half the extent that it usually does. Some locals will probably book a night or two around their park visits that they might not have done otherwise, but I don't think most people want to spend that much if their primary goal is just to get into a park.

Resort reservation availability at WDW is wide open this summer. Even if staying onsite guarantees that you'll get in, I don't think they will be able to fill up the resorts. To do that, Disney needs people coming in from all around the country and overseas, and that just isn't going to happen this summer, to even half the extent that it usually does. Some locals will probably book a night or two around their park visits that they might not have done otherwise, but I don't think most people want to spend that much if their primary goal is just to get into a park.
But that changes if they are starting at 20 or 30% capacity. Then it doesn’t matter how many rooms they have, the numbers will be finite. Again , purely speculation but it will be interesting to see what happens.

I expect that WDW will limit admissions by at least 50%. That means that, once they have allowed admissions of the guests in their hotels, AND the people at DVC resorts, AND (probably) the 'Good Neighbor' hotels, AND perhaps all the Annual Passholders, then I just don't think there is going to be any room for admission for people who are staying off property.

You have the benefit of time with a "late fall" arrival. Make that safety room reservation if you can part with the US$200 to hold it. (Hey, the loonie is having a good week, so it won't hurt as much as it did me in April.)
Then stick around here for July-Sept, see how the park reservation system shakes out. None of us know anything, and we can only wait and see.

I've been wondering the same thing. With 40,000 onsite places at WDW, I've been guessing you might have to stay onsite to visit a park (a way for Disney to fill more hotel rooms and cover expenses). The Disney table service restaurants at the parks aren't cheap either. We almost always stay offsite for the great value. I agree that no one knows at this point.

I expect that WDW will limit admissions by at least 50%. That means that, once they have allowed admissions of the guests in their hotels, AND the people at DVC resorts, AND (probably) the 'Good Neighbor' hotels, AND perhaps all the Annual Passholders, then I just don't think there is going to be any room for admission for people who are staying off property.

I highly doubt Good Neighbor hotels will be part of the initial program as there are so many of them.

I do expect the Official hotels (Disney Springs and some Bonnet Creek) plus Four Seasons to be part of the program (and maybe Shades of Green).

All the Good Neighbor hotels are "Disney Approved" but they get no perks from Disney. If you are looking for perks like 60 day FP+ or EMH do not book a Good Neighbor.

I do think there will be AP access to system as it's already "rumored" that there will be parameters on them for reservations just like there is now for FP+.

I've been wondering the same thing. With 40,000 onsite places at WDW, I've been guessing you might have to stay onsite to visit a park (a way for Disney to fill more hotel rooms and cover expenses). The Disney table service restaurants at the parks aren't cheap either. We almost always stay offsite for the great value. I agree that no one knows at this point.

All reports are that Disney is not opening all their hotels, potentially no value or moderates will open at first to work with park reduced capacity. I think they will factor in a percentage of "offsite" reservations in with the onsite reservations for the parks. Offsite guests are just as important to Disney as they bring is a ton of money to the parks, they tend to stay all day and spend.

Of course, everything is subject to change any given day as they work this out.

All reports are that Disney is not opening all their hotels, potentially no value or moderates will open at first to work with park reduced capacity. I think they will factor in a percentage of "offsite" reservations in with the onsite reservations for the parks. Offsite guests are just as important to Disney as they bring is a ton of money to the parks, they tend to stay all day and spend.

Of course, everything is subject to change any given day as they work this out.

I hope this isn't true. We have reservations for 8 people, 2 rooms, at French Quarter for a week, starting July 15th.

Just an FYI:
Disney is not guaranteeing their resort guests automatically have access to the parks.

"Planning to visit a theme park during your stay? Select Walt Disney World theme parks will begin to reopen on July 11. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date is required (a Disney Resort hotel reservation does not guarantee theme park access)"

(I added bold and underline)
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/resorts/

Also worth noting on the link above is that Disney is limiting Disney resort access to those with hotel reservations and/or ADR's. Meaning, no going to a resort to shop, visit a food court or other non-ADR dining, or just to walk around and hang out.

"Please be aware that you'll also need:
  • A confirmed room reservation for your stay. Be sure to link your reservation to your Disney account to receive important information prior to your arrival—visit My Plans to get started
  • A confirmed dining reservation if you’re a day Guest (not staying overnight)"
That is one thing we like to do when offsite, visit resorts for biegnets, walking around, shopping, lounges, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts