Will the Machu Picchu mudslide affect ABDs?

kristilew

DIS Veteran
Reading the news on the "closure" of Machu Picchu - actually the disruption of rail service from Aquas Calientes to the summit - makes me wonder if there will be any repurcussions for the Peru ABD trips.

The article I read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1248027/Machu-Picchu-closed-tourists-weeks-Peru-assesses-flood-damage.html implies they expect to be up and running again in a few months, but you know how these things go. Especially in such rural areas and in poorer countries.

Looks like there was a possible ABD scheduled for Feb 8 - one of the ones accepting a waitlist but not a certainty. The next one isn't until early June. Do you think they'll go even if MP is still off limits? It's hard to imagine going that far, being so close, and not getting to see it.

Reading the news on the "closure" of Machu Picchu - actually the disruption of rail service from Aquas Calientes to the summit - makes me wonder if there will be any repurcussions for the Peru ABD trips.

The article I read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1248027/Machu-Picchu-closed-tourists-weeks-Peru-assesses-flood-damage.html implies they expect to be up and running again in a few months, but you know how these things go. Especially in such rural areas and in poorer countries.

Looks like there was a possible ABD scheduled for Feb 8 - one of the ones accepting a waitlist but not a certainty. The next one isn't until early June. Do you think they'll go even if MP is still off limits? It's hard to imagine going that far, being so close, and not getting to see it.

I just looked at the itinerary for Peru and I can't see ABD or any other tour company cancelling a trip because one place can't be visited. The trip is 9 days and Machu Picshu is only one day of 9. ABD also has contracts and commitments to various vendors so I doubt they will cancel the Peru adventures there may be some people who won't want to go but as long as they have enough guests my guess is they will subsitute something else.

Good point, but it was the highlight of our trip, and everyone else's on our departure. I'll feel sorry for anyone not getting to do it.

I will also be willing to bet that they will get it fixed as quickly as possible, the amount of tourist money they will lose will almost ensure a quick fix. I would bet they will work within the 2 month time frame, maybe a little longer but it is February even taking until June 1 will give them 4 months to make the repairs.

First of all, this is a terrible loss for tourism for the people of Peru. Obviously, if you can't go to Machu Picchu you would probably put off going to Peru, as it is the "main attraction", so to speak. I can't imagine ABD going ahead with it's Peru Adventure without the day at Machu Picchu...yes it is only 1 day, but it is "the day" that people take the trip for. I'm sure there is a lot of scrambling going on at the moment, trying to figure out how bad and for how long the damage will be. I wish them well, because as you and I have seen firsthand, Kristilew, they so need the tourist dollars in order to survive!

First of all, this is a terrible loss for tourism for the people of Peru. Obviously, if you can't go to Machu Picchu you would probably put off going to Peru, as it is the "main attraction", so to speak. I can't imagine ABD going ahead with it's Peru Adventure without the day at Machu Picchu...yes it is only 1 day, but it is "the day" that people take the trip for. I'm sure there is a lot of scrambling going on at the moment, trying to figure out how bad and for how long the damage will be. I wish them well, because as you and I have seen firsthand, Kristilew, they so need the tourist dollars in order to survive!

Amen.

There is a lot more to Peru than just Macchu Picchu. Plenty of interesting spots to visit near Cusco if Macchu is cut off.

I have a non-ABD trip to Peru scheduled for late March/early April and I have been following the Machu Pichu situation closely. I have a ticket to take the train to MP on April 3.

PeruRail estimates that it will take eight weeks to repair the train tracks that one would use to travel from Cusco to MP. The tentative date for the resumption of service is April 1. In the meantime, in approx. three weeks travelers will be able to visit MP using a longer route. The longer route will not be convenient for day trips from Cusco and is classified as "adventure travel" due to the treacherous mountain roads involved.

FYI--There is some confusion over whether or not the Peruvian government has changed the name of Aguas Caliente to Machu Pichu Pueblo. Some news articles have referred to the town as "formerly named Aguas Caliente."

For more information, see:

http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/destinations/machupicchu/machu-picchu-inca-trail-closure-floods-landslides.html

http://intitravel.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/machu-picchu-update/

Orient Express, a British company that is publicly traded on the stock exchange, owns and operates much of the railway between Cusco and MP. They own the Hiram Bingham luxury train that travels between Cusco and MP as well as the MP Sanctuary Lodge. This is a wealthy company with access to top engineers and other resources. Their involvement bodes well for the repair of the tracks in a timely manner.

There is a lot more to Peru than just Macchu Picchu. Plenty of interesting spots to visit near Cusco if Macchu is cut off.

While this is true, most people will only visit Peru one time in their lives, and not seeing Macchu Picchu would be a deal-breaker for many. The reason we went on the ABD to Peru was first and foremost to see Macchu Picchu...the rest was bonus.

Noticed today that the Feb 8 date for Peru has been removed from the ABD schedule. The next trip is on Jun 7.

I wonder if they rescheduled everyone who was on that trip?

Sayhello

I think that was an adults only trip - which would make sense for Feb. I hope they were able to reschedule everyone. I know if I were booked on that trip I would have been happy to reschedule. If I'm taking what's probably a once in lifetime trip to Peru, I would definitely want to see Machu Picchu.

I think that was an adults only trip - which would make sense for Feb. I hope they were able to reschedule everyone. I know if I were booked on that trip I would have been happy to reschedule. If I'm taking what's probably a once in lifetime trip to Peru, I would definitely want to see Machu Picchu.
I totally agree with that! Peru without Machu Picchu? Not happening!

Sayhello

I just looked at the itinerary for Peru and I can't see ABD or any other tour company cancelling a trip because one place can't be visited. The trip is 9 days and Machu Picshu is only one day of 9. ABD also has contracts and commitments to various vendors so I doubt they will cancel the Peru adventures there may be some people who won't want to go but as long as they have enough guests my guess is they will subsitute something else.
What tourist goes to Peru for reasons other than seeing Machu Picchu?

Of course there are other things to see and do, but skipping Machu Picchu is like saying, "We're going to Orlando, but no theme parks this trip."

I actually came here to check on an ABD Peru trip. Don't care about the rest of the stuff, just want to see Machu Picchu. ::yes::

What tourist goes to Peru for reasons other than seeing Machu Picchu?

Of course there are other things to see and do, but skipping Machu Picchu is like saying, "We're going to Orlando, but no theme parks this trip."

I actually came here to check on an ABD Peru trip. Don't care about the rest of the stuff, just want to see Machu Picchu. ::yes::

I agree and it would definately be a deal breaker for us. This is one of the trips we've had our sights on for awhile and would not go if not for Machu Picchu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter