Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a no here. The Covid vaccine is a short term gain without looking at the long term effects on immunology. It's the same reason as a pro vax family we said no to the HPV vaccine. Covid is a virus, viruses are great at mutations and spreading. Our ancestors survived the 1918 Pandemic, youngest survived the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic, and we'll survive this one too. We will continue our own personal precautions. Would love to get the antibody test.
I think I remember reading in a different thread your kids had only been out a few times this whole time and you yourself not much at all and you were doing your part by staying home. While I respect the decision to not get a vaccine I wondered about your other part of your comment. Wouldn't be doing your part also be getting the vaccine? The medical professionals are all saying this in not so many words.

Will your kids stay shut in the home rarely getting out for potentially several years? I say that long because of getting the vaccine to everyone and things to ease up. And I don't want you to think I'm picking on you I just remembered your comment from a different thread and it made me think of this one.

I need more information before I can make an informed choice. As of now I am not going to jump to get it. I will continue to take precautions and I am okay with that. I expect others to continue to take precautions as long as necessary for the vacation rate to be truly effective.

I have changed my mind. My answer now is "Yes! As soon as my group (1b) comes up." Even two months ago, I was reticent, thinking I would rather wait for more data about safety, etc. But then, this autumn surge took off, and I know which is more dangerous for me--Covid is.

Yep, sign me up. Let me know where and when and I’ll be there with bells on. I’m more afraid of ending up in the ICU alone than I am of long term side affects. I’ve tolerated all other vaccines well and I see no reason to think this will be any different. As mentioned earlier in the thread it’s not so much that it was rushed but things that usually get in the way were removed making it easier to get out faster. Myself and my kids would be last in line but I think my DH *might* be tier 3? He’s essential but not public facing. I wouldn’t be surprised if his job required it.

Yes, I would and everyone in my family would as well. This was the first year DH EVER had a flu shot and it was HE that mentioned to me first that when the vaccine becomes available he wants us all to get it. I admit, I was impressed since I thought he might give me a hard time for suggesting it, go figure!
I cannot convince my DH that the flu vaccine does not give you the flu. He lets me take the wheel when it comes to what the kids get though. I have brought up the vaccine and while he hasn’t committed he does seem open to it. I think he knows it’s the only way to get back to a somewhat normal life. My oldest DD is my only question mark. We haven’t really talked about it but if it means getting back to live music and Disney I’m sure she’ll get in line.

I am in the "Do what makes you feel comfortable" camp. If YOU want to wear a mask, do it. If you don't, then don't. If you want the vaccine, get it. If you don't, then don't. I personally limit my interactions for extended periods of time. I have my group of family and friends I visit with. I wear mask if I have to, but I don't wear it if I don't have to. I wash my hands. If my allergy sniffles come in, I stay home just in case. I don't expect people to stop their lives. Do I think covid is real? I do. I know a few people who have had it. Do I think it requires forced vaccinations and complete shut downs? No. I honestly feel it is something we are stuck with. I don't take the flu shot, but I am hyper vigilant during cold and flu season. This is just something that makes me wash my hands a little more and eat a bit healthier.
First, thanks for being willing to answer.

Second, fair enough. I think if people are willing to take their own precautions after a vaccine is widely available, that’s their right. As long as they don’t expect others to continue to do it.

Another question, if you don’t mind - if places start requiring it, would you just forgo those places? Or might there some place that would encourage you to do it earlier than your original timeline? Traveling for example. Again, no judgement, just trying to understand where others are coming from.

I need more information before I can make an informed choice. As of now I am not going to jump to get it. I will continue to take precautions and I am okay with that. I expect others to continue to take precautions as long as necessary for the vacation rate to be truly effective.
What is your definition of the rate being truly effective?

Is it fair to expect others to get the vaccine and continue take precautions until your comfortable?

Not attacking, more playing devil’s advocate. But I have to admit I find it a bit hypocritical to say you expect others to take precautions until the vaccine rate is truly effective, while also being one who isn’t going to help get there. But maybe I’m just misunderstanding what you mean by truly effective.

Absolutely as soon as I can and my work is already looking into seeing if they can get us all bumped up to get it as early as possible.

Vaccines are safe. Period.

Not immediately. I will eventually, but frankly, something developed this quickly makes me nervous. I can already see the ads 10 years from now:
"Did you and your loved ones get the early covid vaccine? Are you affected by these symptoms and medical issues over the years? Call lawyers are us now"! :rotfl2:

I will place a bet that this will be one of those commercials. Remember, all those drugs on the commercials were approved by the FDA too.

First, thanks for being willing to answer.

Second, fair enough. I think if people are willing to take their own precautions after a vaccine is widely available, that’s their right. As long as they don’t expect others to continue to do it.

Another question, if you don’t mind - if places start requiring it, would you just forgo those places? Or might there some place that would encourage you to do it earlier than your original timeline? Traveling for example. Again, no judgement, just trying to understand where others are coming from.
It depends. Trust me this has been our thought. I honestly feel forcing vaccinations will end in a lot of backlash. I think it was ticketmaster tried tying the covid vaccine to purchasing tickets. They got a lot of backlash and had to walk it back. I assume that this would probably happen to a lot of places if they tried to force vaccines. International travel will be something that can require the vaccines. If they do, I have to decide how badly I want to visit. In 5 years I feel we will have a better handle on this virus and on how any effects the vaccine may cause.

I am 1a and expect that my employer will require and provide it. As it is we have to get a flu vaccine or wear a mask at work all day during the flu season (not new, this requirement has been in place for several years).

Yes, especially if the controversial idea of 'COVID immunisation passports' gets implemented at the private sector level. As much as it'll be optional, the issue is that a precedent for such passporting in the absence of regulations requiring vaccination is already being set, with Qantas announcing that they'll require passengers to have proof of vaccination. If that's going to be the way forward, then I might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter