Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

Andy and I both went to Syracuse University, so Dh is sitting on the couch watching the NCAA tournament game as I type. We bleed orange! Go SU! @ArielSRL is all about Georgia, so she knows!
Good luck tonight! We both went to Virginia Tech and back in the day we were in the Big East with Syracuse. We went up there for a football game once and I remember it being just about the coldest place on earth.

We are largely a football family but made an exception to watch our Hokies last night. We of course lost though, so back to football.

So, I snapped a few pics of my favorite characters in the parade as we cut through.

Casey's favorite too. I wish they had them in the parks that you could meet them.

26604057908_741573f5d6_z.jpg
I can't get over how big they have both gotten. They totally look like grownups in this picture.

This one is a Video of Gwen Driving. I will admit, it isn't super exciting, but you can see Gwen's concentration while she is driving. You can also hear the "announcer" in the back round. IT made me think how cool would it be if a) you could actually hear what the guy is saying and b) if they could sinc it up with your magic bands and have it saying things like Gwen is coming around the bend, Morgan is in the lead... that kind of stuff. I need to be an imagineer!
You totally need to be an imagineer. That is a brilliant idea!

First Mickey Soft Pretzel
I think the "real" food helped her mood. (Does a soft pretzel count as real food?)
Flour, salt, fake cheese. What part isn't real food?

Oh poor thing. I can only fathom our hangry girls together. Look out world!

Demoted to kid barrack
So, she was demoted to the baby one... She is actually happy to try both out. I actually told her to look sad for the photo. Pretty good, huh?
She definitely looks sad. Are you sure you fed her ; )

Worth it, and I hope I remember to do this too.
WE got into a good grove with trying to get some good in ride vehicle pics! Once you do one or two, you get the hang of it!

To my surprise she refused, and we ended up taking a picture of her half hugging, half leaning against a garbage can on Main Street and glaring at me. Ah, memories! :rotfl2:
Sometimes, I find these to be the best photos!! Is that bad?! Ha. Our very first trip to Disney World, Morgan was 5 and Gwen was 2 and 11 months old and we had been in Disney for 6 days already and EPCOT was on our last day and they were a mess! We have a picture of Gwen crying next to a trash can with Andy and Morgan smiling in front of Japan. It's pretty hilarious.

No way! I went to LeMoyne right next door! :thumbsup2
Nice!!!! We were neighbors. Well, kind of. We keep talking about going back up to Syracuse. Just haven't had the time to do so. That's right, you had photos the Finger Lakes in your trip report, didn't you?

My girls never want to do the Speedway. We hit it probably every other to every third trip. It's the smell that gets them I think. Love the girl squad goal picture!!!!
You are LUCKY!!!! It is so smelly! I totally agree and it sounds like you are driving a lawn mower. But sadly, this will not be the last time we ride this ride on this trip!

The strawberry lemonade frosty looks SO good! So much of our trips revolve around food too. I love the Mickey pretzels!
Don't all the good trip revolve around food?

Good luck tonight! We both went to Virginia Tech and back in the day we were in the Big East with Syracuse. We went up there for a football game once and I remember it being just about the coldest place on earth.
Ah yes! The good old days when Syracuse was still in the Big East. I always thought it was a little strange that Virgina Tech was in the big east. Syracuse can be a beautiful but winter there is rough! It has a constant gray sky over it! (It's why we didn't stay there!)

We survived the first game! Andy is ready for the next one already! Syracuse likes to bust peoples brackets but I don't think we will go to far.

Casey's favorite too. I wish they had them in the parks that you could meet them.
One day we will make it happen!

I can't get over how big they have both gotten. They totally look like grownups in this picture.
Morgan particularly has gotten big. Wait till you see the Rapunzel Bathroom picture. Morgan visibly grew from the September trip and the February trip.

She definitely looks sad. Are you sure you fed her ; )
Ha!

Loving this trip report! Perfect amount of details and I can’t wait to see more of your dining cost breakdown. I tried to do this last trip but gave up after the second day of our trip. I have 6 & 8 year old boys and we just got back from Disneyland. So exciting that you are going so soon!

That Tomorrowland Speedway is a people trap :rotfl: I haven't been on it in years since my kids are older and outgrew it, but I remember waiting in what seemed like not a very long line, and it took FOREVER to get on. That was in the days before FP+, and I don't think there was a regular FP for it so we just suffered through :crazy2:

Your girls in the barracks are adorable. I love that whole area of the MK :love:

I'm following along, great report! We did pjs as a surprise for our kids on our second trip, as well as beach towels with their favorite characters and their name embroidered on them. They were 4 and 2 then, and on our trip in June, they will be 17 and 15...time flies by.

That Tomorrowland Speedway is a people trap :rotfl: I haven't been on it in years since my kids are older and outgrew it, but I remember waiting in what seemed like not a very long line, and it took FOREVER to get on. That was in the days before FP+, and I don't think there was a regular FP for it so we just suffered through :crazy2:

Your girls in the barracks are adorable. I love that whole area of the MK :love:

I could not agree more! This is one of very few attractions at Disney that I truly despise.

We take them and make them our phone lock screen, so we don't have to open up the disney app every time I forget if our fast pass is 11:20 or 11:25 or what.

This is a brilliant idea! I'm going to do that with our upcoming trip, because there's nothing worse than waiting for the MDE page to load so you can see your exact FP times! Thanks for the tip!

Glad to see Morgan was doing better that morning. The prospect of riding the Tomorrowland Speedway must have pushed her through the worst of the cold. :rotfl:

One of the hardest parts of touring the parks with kids is their impatience with food. They get hungry, but they don't like waiting in the long lines to get said food. Happy both your girls cooperated and let you put some "real food" in their bellies. :thumbsup2

Sometimes, I find these to be the best photos!! Is that bad?!
Hahaha no, it's not bad - because it's true!

Our very first trip to Disney World, Morgan was 5 and Gwen was 2 and 11 months old and we had been in Disney for 6 days already and EPCOT was on our last day and they were a mess! We have a picture of Gwen crying next to a trash can with Andy and Morgan smiling in front of Japan. It's pretty hilarious.
Yes, yes, that IS hilarious! Classic family vacation moment.

Happy Sunday Everyone!

I hope everyone is warm where they live because it is still cold here and there is a potential 4th Nor'Easterner coming our way. It is still unclear whether we will get snow and how much but just the talk about it exhausting enough!

Day One: Exploring the Wilderness

I left off with us finishing up our snacks. We were headed towards Tom Sawyer Island. We hadn't gone over to explore the island since our first or second trip. So, off we went!
We only had to wait for the next raft to show up. But I will say that it was the most people I had seen heading over to the island!

We boarded Raft Injun Joe. This is about when we started to notice the large amount of CM training! Our raft had 2 CM being trained on how to drive the raft.

The girls ready to explore! Our raft ride was short, of course and soon we were ready to roam.

The girls stopped to read the sign and asked why everything was spelled wrong.

And then of course they inspected the map. We didn't want to get lost! (but really, Morgan was worried about this, she is a worrier)

A better look at the map. We found out that half of the island was sectioned off for refurbishment. Bummer.

We headed out and Gwen wanted to lead the way. But then couldn't decide which way we should go, so Morgan took charge. A Cave was the first stop.

At first Gwen didn't want to go in since it was so dark but we dragged her in, know that the cave was about a inch long... We found the wonders of the cave. The girls mentioned it looked just like the jewels in Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

We headed out of the cave and then found a little playground like area.

The girls explored it a bit. And I grabbed some photos. We milled around here a little longer trying to put some space between us and the rest of the folks that were on our raft that we seemed to be moving at the same pace as.

After the people milled away, we moved on.

Andy felt the need to take a picture of the Alligator Sign. No worries, everyone, we did NOT see any alligators this trip!

This is about when we found our that part of the island was blocked off. Gwen said she had to go to the bathroom (Shocker!). And Andy though he remembered a bathroom out at the fortress so we tried to head that way only to find a big wall right before the bridge. So we backtracked to head back towards the raft launch. I figured there was either one there or we could just catch a raft back.

As we headed we found the barrel bridge!

We had to wait a bit because there was 2 families coming from the wrong direction and one had an older girl who was afraid of the barrels and taking forever! But we finally got our turn!

The barrel bridge is my favorite part of the island. Not sure why but...

We found another cave to explore and Gwen said she could hold it since we thought we might need to head off the island.

And again, they aren't huge caves.

This cave had some glowing rock formations that we cool.

We headed out and i think we walked through the"mill" that they have and found our way to the loading area. There was a bathroom there, so, we went ahead and used that before catching a raft back. Thankfully there weren't too many folks waiting to go back. When we had gotten off there was a TON of people waiting. We got on a raft and made it safely back the "mainland"

It was finally time for our Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Fast Passes! So, we headed there next and it was nice and close!

Andy and Morgan went together this time. I am not sure why, as the girls had been pretty much going together on all of the rides.

Gwen and I were in the row ahead and I tried to grab a Family Selfie!

So, while on the ride, I do try and take in the views here and there, and I happened to notice a Photo Pass Photographer over by the geyser taking photos. Well, when we got off, he gave us a card and said he got our pictures...

Yup! yes he did! He captured me starring him down! Or least it looks that way!

This one, I look like I am thinking, is that really a photo pass photographer....

And then it's like my last glance at the guy!

When I found these I cracked up. Not worth paying $150 to get the real versions....

Our ride was fun as always! Gwen was chomping at the bit to get her "1" thing for the day. So we headed into the Splash Mountain Gift Shop to look around. The girls found a couple things they were interested in but decided to wait till later.

Gwen did try these on and model them for me.

With that, we headed towards Adventureland!

What would we do there? It was something new to us and recommended by @kastoney!

Last edited:
Loving this trip report! Perfect amount of details and I can’t wait to see more of your dining cost breakdown. I tried to do this last trip but gave up after the second day of our trip. I have 6 & 8 year old boys and we just got back from Disneyland. So exciting that you are going so soon!
:welcome: Thanks so much. I am so excitied to have so many folks following along! My husband copywriter by trade, so he is really the writer in the family but I do my best. I did re-read my last post, and I did have a lot of typing/spelling errors. oops! At least we don't get graded on these!

Thanks! I can't wait for Disneyland!
Following along!:thanks:
:welcome:Thanks for following along!!! I am truly so excitied to have so many folks following along!

Sadly, this trip, this was not the last time we rode this, but I will say, we NEVER waited more than 15 minutes to ride, and I feel like 15 minutes is an acceptable amount of time to wait for this ride. No more!

Thanks! It is a great area but an area I think alot of people just walk past.

I'm following along, great report! We did pjs as a surprise for our kids on our second trip, as well as beach towels with their favorite characters and their name embroidered on them. They were 4 and 2 then, and on our trip in June, they will be 17 and 15...time flies by.
:welcome: We have had a lot of trips this year, One in September, this one, and now Disneyland. But I keep saying to my husband that they are growing up fast! Morgan at 9 soon to be 10 is really putting that feeling of them growing up too fast. We are most def trying to soak up what we can!

I could not agree more! This is one of very few attractions at Disney that I truly despise.
I would of said the same before this trip but the joy our girls had riding/driving the cars this trip changed our minds a little. Mind you, I would NEVER just ride it myself as an adult! But the girls truly enjoyed it. They just need to update the thing. And I have to believe that, that is the plan since they aren't replacing it for Tron. They have to updating it... I hope...

This is a brilliant idea! I'm going to do that with our upcoming trip, because there's nothing worse than waiting for the MDE page to load so you can see your exact FP times! Thanks for the tip!
I can't take full credit for it. I actually read it on someone's trip report awhile back. And the older version of the app you could screen shot all 3 fast passes at once. But now they put so much info in, you can only get 2 fast passes in the screen shot at a time. But it REALLY helps with your phone battery. That app drains the battery fast!

Glad to see Morgan was doing better that morning. The prospect of riding the Tomorrowland Speedway must have pushed her through the worst of the cold. :rotfl:
Honestly, just being in Disney really pushed her thought this day. That and we did take it kind of easy. So, I am sure that helped as well.

Yep! I'm right in the Finger Lakes region - good memory! :thumbsup2
If we ever make it up there again, I will let you know! I do have found memories of being up there, even if it does snow ALL the time.

Yes, yes, that IS hilarious! Classic family vacation moment
I have a good one from meeting Darth Vedar that I will try and remember to share when I get to Hollywood Studio day!

Looks like you all had a great afternoon in Frontierland. We haven't been over to Tom Sawyer island in forever, but its always so much fun.

And I think I know what you are going to do next!!! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is a map involved :-)

It is still unclear whether we will get snow and how much but just the talk about it exhausting enough!
Ugh, I know! I love the Northeast, but...

The girls stopped to read the sign and asked why everything was spelled wrong.
Good for them! Smart girls :thumbsup2

And again, they aren't huge caves.
:laughing: About an inch if I remember correctly? ;)

Gwen and I were in the row ahead and I tried to grab a Family Selfie!
Nice job! This came out great :thumbsup2

And then it's like my last glance at the guy!

When I found these I cracked up.
:rotfl2: These photos are AWESOME!!!

If we ever make it up there again, I will let you know! I do have found memories of being up there, even if it does snow ALL the time.
Yes, please do! How far away are you from this area? We'll have to make that work someday :thumbsup2

And I think I know what you are going to do next!!! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is a map involved :-)
Maybe.... :disrocks:

:laughing: About an inch if I remember correctly? ;)
he he!

Yes, please do! How far away are you from this area? We'll have to make that work someday :thumbsup2
We are in South Jersey near Philadelphia now. So pretty far away but we keep talking about making a trip back up to Syracuse sometime soon. (of course we have been saying that for like 3 or 4 years now) but we will eventually.

I feel like we never spend enough time in Frontierland. Looks like you had a lot of fun!! I haven't set foot on Tom Sawyer Island since my very first trip in 2000. Maybe by the next time I go, the refurb will be done :)

When I found these I cracked up. Not worth paying $150 to get the real versions....
I LOVE these!! :) LOL Definitely not worth buying, but so funny!!

Sassy Gwen
Gwen did try these on and model them for me.
I cannot get enough of her faces!!! She's the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter