Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

Can we please have spring now?! :rotfl2:I'm sure we could all go for some of those citrus treats right around now! Sounds like a good continuation of your afternoon!
Yes Please!!!! to both, spring coming and some citrus swirls...

Joining in and all caught up!
:welcome:

Cute plushies for the girls! (I feel like I always need to comment on their cute choices )
Well, you guys both have similar taste is plush! ;)

I've only visited the Poly once and it was at night and during construction. I really want to go back and enjoy it more one trip!
Def worth a visit, even just to get a dole whip an wonder around a little.

Love their purchases. Ellie got the samba pouch plush thing... looks like our girls have the same taste. First the Thumper with big feet and now this:). This trip was the first time we flew so there were so many things they wanted but I had to put a squash on them. I was so scared things wouldn't fit home.

She is SOOOO going to be trouble as a teen!

Bless her heart! She's got such a great little attitude!

With purchases made, we headed to the monorail. One was pulling in as we were walking up, so we did the light jog to catch it and jumped onto the first open car.... That was NOT air conditioned. Blek! And I have to say it was very dirty!

:sad2: We've had a similar experience on a monorail before and it makes for a lousy trip.

We were headed to Trader Sam's. As we were heading in a woman stopped us and gave the girls and me lei's! She said they gave her too many. We thanked her and headed in!

Nice little dose of pixie dust :)

When Andy ordered it the Waitress said that it was really good. And it was! Seriously, you need to try this if you like the Grapefruit Shoffenhoffer! We found it in EPCOT at the African Outpost later in the week. So, good!

This looks neat! I've never heard of pineapple cider before!

We had a nice relaxing dinner out on the patio there. By now it was about 6:00.I gave the girls the choose of hopping back on the monorail and hit a couple rides at Magic Kingdom or head back to the hotel and do some swimming. They decided on swimming.

I never understand this with kids. Why does swimming always win out!? If it were me, I'd be all over the MK park time. But swimming has such a draw. I loved swimming in hotel pools as a kid, too.

I am already trying to figure out how we can stay here for a couple days. it is so pretty.

It's gorgeous! I recommend doing it around Labor Day if you can tolerate the heat! That's what we did for our honeymoon, and booked with a particular travel agency (which I can't name or promote or link on her due to disboard rules) but they have a "Magical Deal" around that time, and it was less expensive for us than it would have been to rent DVC, and less than our AP discount was, and MUCH less than rack rate! If you google "Magical Deal" and "Disney" and "Labor Day" it should be the first few links that come up. In case that's ever of interest to you all. That's also how we're planning to say at the Grand this summer :lovestruc

Morgan went first. She said she was "testing" it for Gwen to see how far you would go under water.

What a good big sister! She's definitely protective to her little sis :hug:

I love The Polynesian! We stayed there on our first trip so it will always have my heart. With an extra kid in the mix and the way prices are headed now, it’s just out of our budget.

I think Port Orleans might be the next one we try. Are the Alligator Bayou rooms a really long walk from the main areas of those resorts?

Wow, what a great day! It was super helpful to read about your Pirate's Adventure experience - for some reason I was thinking it would take hours. I'd love to do it for a half hour! Trader Sam's looks lovely; great improvising by getting Captain Cook's for the kids! And the tower (scultpture?!) the girls made and you guys laughing about it...what a fun moment!

By now it was about 6:00.I gave the girls the choose of hopping back on the monorail and hit a couple rides at Magic Kingdom or head back to the hotel and do some swimming. They decided on swimming.
HAhaha I totally called this! I'm torn between letting my cousin (she's 8) swim to her heart's content and having a relaxing evening like you all had...instead of going back to Magic Kingdom!

I snapped this one from walking up the bridge that looks like part of the serpent. I couldn't actually see what I was shooting, as the sides were too high, but I just held my hands over my head and hopped for the best. It came out really cute!
It did! It's too bad it was chilly, but having that pretty pool area to yourself at night looks so cool! Woohoo! Your photos are making POFQ look quite charming at night!

When I looked up from making the fast pass, this is what I see...
I just can't even. SO. ADORABLE.

Reading about everyone's snow days is so fun! Places all deal with it so differently. Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada they won't call a snow day...ever!!!! It'll be mayhem out, 15 inches of snow overnight, roads not cleared yet, hundreds of accidents around the city...no snow day. The schools stay open because they say they need to be the safe place where kids can go. The only time in the last 15 years schools were closed was when a quarter of the city flooded and the mayor called for a "state of emergency" and basically ordered the schools to shut their doors. I'm a teacher, so I really wish we had a snow day or two once in a while!

Luckily, you'll be heading to California soon! Hope the weather is awesome for you guys!

If you are new to my trip reports, somewhere along the way, we developed a "policy" that the girls could pick one thing a day.
This is SUCH a smart parenting move for Disney!! It's way too easy to get sucked into buying something here, there, and everywhere. I love that you're teaching them limits, as well as making thoughtful choices.

I love her :)

Good choice with the Cutie instead! On our Dec/Jan trip, Jimmy had asked us to bring home a Tigger for him. It drove me crazy that I couldn't find a regular looking Tigger in the entire world!! We ended up having to get him the "Cutie" Tigger. Good thing Jimmy loved him anyway!

We were headed to Trader Sam's. As we were heading in a woman stopped us and gave the girls and me lei's! She said they gave her too many. We thanked her and headed in!
That was so nice!!! We wanted to try Trader Sam's on our trip, but it didn't work out for us because it was always full with a long wait. Next time for sure!!! (If it had been nicer weather, we definitely would've taken advantage of the outside seating option, too, even though it's not as exciting as being in the bar!)

At any rate, we had our first cheers to vacation!
Too cute! Love Morgan in this pic!

The barrel bridge is my favorite part of the island. Not sure why but...

I don’t think I’ve ever been to this island! It looks like it would be a lot of fun to play on.

BTMR Family Selfie
Gwen and I were in the row ahead and I tried to grab a Family Selfie!

Love the family selfie! Gwen looks so much like you!

BTMR_Staredown_03
And then it's like my last glance at the guy!

This is too funny. The guy in the back is also trying to figure out the camera. I would be confused if I thought a random person was taking our picture!

I suggested giving it a try. And explained what it was. Morgan was up for it but Gwen was starting to lose steam and didn't want to. But we went in anyway, she was out voted. :confused3

I’m worried about the days when my girls get a vote in what we do lol!

The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes, I think. I am so glad we tried it! We will def do another one on another trip. Thanks @kastoney!

I’ve never heard of this before! Is it like a treasure hunt with clues? My girls might be too young but it looks like a lot of fun!

Gwen Try #2

So, we stopped and let her try... Nope.

I love how determined she is!

The Clam Shell with the Gators was really cute and the girls liked swimming under the water.

That pool looks awesome!

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!

We have 5 days before we leave for Disneyland!!!! I am getting so excited!!! It hit me this morning that I need to pack today! I have ALOT to do today. We are having a pre-easter with Andy's parents and my mom tomorrow. So, we need to clean the house (as it is a disaster from the girls being home for 2 days with snow), I need to go grocery shopping, Pack, and run some last minute errands for the trip! I am exhausted just writing all of that!

Our plan to tell the girls, is to wait till Wednesday evening. Morgan has her school play on Wednesday, so, I am going to set up there Easter Baskets on the dinning room table before we leave, so when they come back, they will find them. I am trying to fill them with travel themed stuff. I got some super cute neck pillows that turn into animals and new headphones for the plane. Oh, and i ordered the kids travel guide to Disneyland. So they can read up on the plane!

I also decided that in Disneyland, Mickey leaves the girls things and only on the first night! Tink is too busy in Disney World to do both! I ordered pjs for all 3 of us from Disney Store last week, along with a new shirt for both of the girls. I still have some pins from the batch I ordered off of amazon awhile back, so I will put a couple of those out and I ordered a disneyland autograph book for the trip. I just need to make a little note from Mickey saying welcome and some how word it that this is all the gifts...

Oh, that seems like such an awesome day! I really want to try Trader Sams now!
Have you been to Trader Sam's in Disneyland?

Love their purchases. Ellie got the samba pouch plush thing... looks like our girls have the same taste. First the Thumper with big feet and now this:). This trip was the first time we flew so there were so many things they wanted but I had to put a squash on them. I was so scared things wouldn't fit home.
I hate to admit it, but we ended up with almost a suitcase full of plush this trip. I wasn't paying enough attention to each days purchases. But we got it all home!

:sad2: We've had a similar experience on a monorail before and it makes for a lousy trip.
They need to do something about the Monorail. They just need to rollout new cars.

This looks neat! I've never heard of pineapple cider before!
It was so good! Sweet and refreshing. Very much like a sweet cider. Def recommend if you aren't a huge beer drinker.

I never understand this with kids. Why does swimming always win out!? If it were me, I'd be all over the MK park time. But swimming has such a draw. I loved swimming in hotel pools as a kid, too.
It's true, but at least at Disney the pools are WAY cooler than most hotel pools. It was probably a good call on our first day. Morgan needed to be asleep on time since she had been sick. It was def a relaxing way to end the day. And I feel as adults, we forget to stop and relax a bit! At least I know I do. I def wanted to hop back over for another ride. But that would have turned into 2 or 3 more...

I totally am planning in the back of my mind to possibly hop back over to Disneyland at night next week. The park is open 8an till midnight every day we will be there. And I can't image we will make it that late all 3 nights. So, I am hoping that I can go in for a little bit by myself. We will see if that happens.

It's gorgeous! I recommend doing it around Labor Day if you can tolerate the heat!
They probably have that type of deal because Labor Day is not a good weekend if you live in the states and have kids. Half of the kids are already back in school. Here in Jersey, school typically starts the week after Labor Day. We are always the Thurdsay after. So, not the best weekend to travel. :( Plus Andy has sworn off September after our last trip. He HATES being hot. :(

Following along! I totally want those stuffys, I won't lie!
:welcome: It's why I have kids, to live through them! We tried to find the dole whip plush and was going to get it regardless, but they didn't have any when we were there. :(

I love The Polynesian! We stayed there on our first trip so it will always have my heart. With an extra kid in the mix and the way prices are headed now, it’s just out of our budget.

I think Port Orleans might be the next one we try. Are the Alligator Bayou rooms a really long walk from the main areas of those resorts?
We stayed at the Poly on our first trip as well! It was before they started construction and Gwen was under 3. So, it was MUCH cheaper than now! I think we are talking about staying next time at the POFQ again, do the parks for 3 or 4 days, then move to the Poly for 1 or 2 nights and just chill at the resort. No parks those days. Really get our moneys worth. And then move back to a cheaper hotel. We will see.

Port Orleans was really great! We were the farthest building away but really we weren't far at all. The girls were just tired that first night. I believe Alligator Bayou is at Port Orleans Riverside. Which is technically a different resort. We didn't make it over to Riverside, but my understand it is much bigger but just as nice. But they have rooms with the trundle pull down beds, so if you have 3 kids, would be perfect for you!

HAhaha I totally called this! I'm torn between letting my cousin (she's 8) swim to her heart's content and having a relaxing evening like you all had...instead of going back to Magic Kingdom!
I def recommend at least going back to the hotel one or two nights and doing some night swimming. It feels so good to hop in the pool after a long day in the parks. And with an 8 year old, you will want to balance out your days a bit. My biggest advise, don't over do it in the beginning, it's a marathon with kids and the parks!

Woohoo! Your photos are making POFQ look quite charming at night!
It really was! I didn't get a lot of photos of the different buildings at night but it was very quiet and beautiful. Probably the opposite of Mardi Gras at the real New Orleans! Ha.

I just can't even. SO. ADORABLE.
Thanks. She is a little show stopper. People comment on her hair all the time. And she is certainly a sassy little thing!

Luckily, you'll be heading to California soon!
I Can't Wait!!!

This is SUCH a smart parenting move for Disney!! It's way too easy to get sucked into buying something here, there, and everywhere. I love that you're teaching them limits, as well as making thoughtful choices.
They still get ALOT of items! But they def take the purchases seriously. Most of the time, instead of saying no when they ask if they can get something, it is Yes, but is that what they want for the one thing. And there are alot of times that they put the item down and wait. And now, they never ask for anything after they have made there purchase for the day. We have gone enough too that they know certain places where they like to get things, like Japan in EPCOT, and that Animal Kingdom does have different things...

I have started too, with there birthday money, if they get 20 bucks and they want to use it, they NEED to stay within that 20 bucks. Especially when it is something super stupid toy...

I love her :)
She is a cutie! Thanks. I feel like moms of boys just LOVE her.... My girlfriend has 2 boys and loves both girls, but she has a sweet spot for Gwen and her girly-ness.

We wanted to try Trader Sam's on our trip, but it didn't work out for us because it was always full with a long wait. Next time for sure!!!
It is really small inside. I knew it was small but I couldn't believe HOW small! I am hoping we can spend a night or 2 at the Poly next time, and am already plotting to be there 15 minutes early so we can at least get 1 drink inside. (for the trip that we haven't even decided when it will be mind you...)

Too cute! Love Morgan in this pic!
That is Morgan's I am hungry, where is the food in this picture look.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to this island! It looks like it would be a lot of fun to play on.
You should Def take the girls over there! I think it's great for little kids, as you can really let them run around on there own and not worry about loosing them in the crowds.

Love the family selfie! Gwen looks so much like you!
Yup, she is pretty much a mini me.

I’m worried about the days when my girls get a vote in what we do lol!
You have to be smart on when to give them the option and when not to. Especially because sometimes with lines, you just can't do what they want. I haven't been on Tower of Terror yet, because the girls refuse to go on it. ;(

I’ve never heard of this before! Is it like a treasure hunt with clues? My girls might be too young but it looks like a lot of fun!
It's basically a treasure hunt with no treasure! They map has symbols on it, so, they don't really need to know how to read. And once you do the first one, they tell you what symbol to go to next so, your girls def could do it. It is more of whether they would find it fun searching for clues. My girls LOVE that kind of stuff, so it was right up there alley. It is short so, if they aren't really into it, it's not a huge time suck. And really you could stop in the middle. Nothing is going to happen if you give up.

I love how determined she is!
pound for pound, she is seriously determined and stubborn!

That pool looks awesome!
It really was a great pool. We have stayed at 2 moderates now, and have loved both pools.

And I feel as adults, we forget to stop and relax a bit! At least I know I do. I def wanted to hop back over for another ride. But that would have turned into 2 or 3 more...

How true!

I totally am planning in the back of my mind to possibly hop back over to Disneyland at night next week. The park is open 8an till midnight every day we will be there. And I can't image we will make it that late all 3 nights. So, I am hoping that I can go in for a little bit by myself. We will see if that happens.

I hope you get the chance for a little solo time! Even as someone who typically just travels with one other adult (hubby!), I found a huge difference in what I was able to get done and how I could tour by myself. I love sharing Disney with someone else, but it's kind of fun to get a little solo time occasionally. :)

They probably have that type of deal because Labor Day is not a good weekend if you live in the states and have kids. Half of the kids are already back in school. Here in Jersey, school typically starts the week after Labor Day. We are always the Thurdsay after. So, not the best weekend to travel. :( Plus Andy has sworn off September after our last trip. He HATES being hot. :(

Yeah, I know a lot of the schools go back mid-August. The Florida schools for sure. We had family down there growing up, and we were always jealous when they finished school for the summer before us, but it felt good not to be going back when they did! We go back the week after Labor Day here, too. But the deal with that TA starts somewhere around Aug. 15, and goes till just a bit after Labor Day, so it worked out great for us. I totally feel Andy though. I do NOT tolerate the heat well. I would much rather be too cold than even a little bit too hot. We definitely had to plan for some breaks and resort time pretty much every day in August. ::yes::

I am beginning to devour trip reports to help plan for our trip, and I absolutely love reading yours. Your kids are the same age as mine so it's fun to see how you guys go about things. The Tinkerbell gifts, the lock screen with your daily plans and the meal breakdown is all genius! Looking forward to hearing more! ❤❤❤

am already plotting to be there 15 minutes early so we can at least get 1 drink inside. (for the trip that we haven't even decided when it will be mind you...)
Aren't we all planning for that next trip....always!! :) That's got to be my plan, too, just get there early!! Whenever I thought we'd be able to squeeze it in, it didn't work out. Next time for sure!

They made me take a picture of there "creation"
This is impressive! Good job, girls! :thumbsup2

I am already trying to figure out how we can stay here for a couple days. it is so pretty.
When you have it figured out, let me know because I want to figure it out too! :laughing: Staying at the Poly someday is definitely on my list :thumbsup2

I went over to the quick service and ordered Beignets
You can't not get these, right?!

It was a great first day!
It sure was! :goodvibes

We have 5 days before we leave for Disneyland!!!! I am getting so excited!!!
WOOHOO!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you all!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Our plan to tell the girls, is to wait till Wednesday evening.
I will be thinking about you all on Wednesday night - can't wait to hear the details about how the reveal goes ::yes:: And I hope you plan to do a DL TR!

The Pirate Adventure sounds like it was a nice, new thing to do in Adventureland. I remember reading that if you complete 3 of the tasks you get a Pirates Fastpass, but I'm not sure if that's still applicable!

Good to know the Dole Whip is still better than the Citrus Swirl.

Trader Sam's for an easy going dinner sounds like a great idea. My family is staying at the Poly for 1 night next month and that info about being able to order from Capt. Cook's could be really useful.

I snapped this one from walking up the bridge that looks like part of the serpent. I couldn't actually see what I was shooting, as the sides were too high, but I just held my hands over my head and hopped for the best. It came out really cute!

This is a great picture for taking it above your head.

Wow, what a fantastic trip! Always nice to try something a little different. And I love the Tinkerbell gifts at the beginning of your trip! Such a great idea :)

~LindsayC
#dvcrentals

Expensive taste! I think you are the one who is going to be in trouble!

We headed out there, and there was plenty of seating, so we grabbed a table. I was bummed that we couldn't sit inside but this worked out just fine.
We've yet to make it inside either but like you enjoyed the patio.

So, it turned out that the dishwasher was broken and they weren't serving the drinks in the actual glasses but that we could still get the glass to take home. I was surprisingly ok with this. I think I would have been more disappointed if we were inside and that was the case.
Very strange since the cups are a big part of the fun. Odd they couldn't use the dishwasher in one of the other 3 restaurants in the resort!

At any rate, we had our first cheers to vacation!
My kinda family!

These were SO good!!! The Poke was fresh and cut up evenly. The housemade chips were perfect. So, good. I could have eaten it all by myself.
Yum, this looks and sounds delicious. Totally up my alley as it looks like deconstructed tuna nachos from Yak N Yeti!

All of the food was really good and I really appreciated the fact that we were able to get the girls food from the counter service. I am sure we would not have been able to do that inside. Which is why I said it worked out for us.
What a great idea. I think when we did Sam's we just ordered apps to share. Casey would have been much happier with something from Captain Cooks

When Andy ordered it the Waitress said that it was really good. And it was! Seriously, you need to try this if you like the Grapefruit Shoffenhoffer! We found it in EPCOT at the African Outpost later in the week. So, good!
Yum! I'll have to give this a try

Here is the Video, I tried to clip it so you didn't have to watch the painful part before they actually blew the straws out.
Love it!!!! They are very ingenious girls!

Great picture! Looks like you all had a fabulous night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter