With Galaxy's Edge coming... what will happen to Star Tours?

So assuming Star Tours and RnRc will eventually get rethemed someday, I wonder which one would ever be first. If it's Star Tours then that means Aerosmith could be retired by the time it gets a retheme. Oh well, I'm alright with that with them being my favorite band and all.

To be clear, Guardians and the lesser known properties (unfortunately that includes my girl Carol) are up for grabs in Disney World. Just not the ones represented at Universal.

Which is why the Avengers Monorail always had to be on a track that didn't run through a park... but could still exist. Also, is why the Guardians are allowed to come to Walt Disney World.

They could honestly (down the line) create attractions just featuring the properties they're allowed to represent - assuming the other movies are as successful. (Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant Man, and Guardians are all up for grabs!)

It's pretty clear that Guardians is safe, but Captain Marvel and Black Panther would fall in the grey area since they are both tied to the Avengers and Black Panther was also tied to the Fantasic Four. This is what makes the Universal contract so tricky, pretty much every Marvel character can be connected to pretty much any other characters in some way.

It would be great it they transformed the outside facade into a star tours "port", then you exit right into Galaxy's Edge. Maybe the final destination to each ride would be the port in GE... I haven't seen the most up to date projected mapping, but it seems like the side/backside of Star Tours lines up with the rest of the new land?

It would be great it they transformed the outside facade into a star tours "port", then you exit right into Galaxy's Edge. Maybe the final destination to each ride would be the port in GE... I haven't seen the most up to date projected mapping, but it seems like the side/backside of Star Tours lines up with the rest of the new land?

No, you've got the Muppets in between.

I really, really think you all should start to get really, really comfortable with the idea that Star tours will change at some point after SW:GE has opened. They will not extend SW:GE in that direction, and they won't want a separate attraction of SW elsewhere. I think the ride gets kept, as they need it to suck up folks and burn time...but it will get re-themed.

It's pretty clear that Guardians is safe, but Captain Marvel and Black Panther would fall in the grey area since they are both tied to the Avengers and Black Panther was also tied to the Fantasic Four. This is what makes the Universal contract so tricky, pretty much every Marvel character can be connected to pretty much any other characters in some way.
Right, but they're not characters marketed currently. While they have ties to both teams, they're both stand alone marketing right now.

The marketing doesn't matter.
It does considering most Marvel characters have spent at least some time on the avengers.

If you want to get technical about it like this, then we shouldn't have Guadians either since some of them were once avengers. And Captain Marvel wasn't just an Avenger, but also a Guardian of the Galaxy.

Marketing does matter. There's so much team sharing within Marvel that really we shouldn't be allowed to have any characters at WDW if it matters whether or not they were Avengers or Xmen.

It does considering most Marvel characters have spent at least some time on the avengers.

If you want to get technical about it like this, then we shouldn't have Guadians either since some of them were once avengers. And Captain Marvel wasn't just an Avenger, but also a Guardian of the Galaxy.

Marketing does matter. There's so much team sharing within Marvel that really we shouldn't be allowed to have any characters at WDW if it matters whether or not they were Avengers or Xmen.
There is a contract specifically stating what Disney and universal can use in their parks. That contract has nothing to do with how the characters are marketed today.

There is a contract specifically stating what Disney and universal can use in their parks. That contract has nothing to do with how the characters are marketed today.
I'm aware of the contract. The contract covers characters already in existence there. Not new ones. Captain marvel, ant-man, and guardians will be fine based on that.

Why do you think Disney suddenly cares about these lesser characters up until now.

I'm aware of the contract. The contract covers characters already in existence there. Not new ones. Captain marvel, ant-man, and guardians will be fine based on that.

Why do you think Disney suddenly cares about these lesser characters up until now.

Captain Marvel and Ant-Man go back to the 60's so they pre-date the Universal Contract. The contract gives Universal exclusive rights to any character that part of the any "family" of characters that Universal is using (Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man and Fantastic 4). There was a document along with the contract that spelled out the families, but it is not public. With a few exceptions it's really hard for us to make definitive statements as to what Universal has the rights to and not.

Ant-Man is definitely part if the Avenger family; he was an original member in the comic book series.

latest

Universal controls all characters within the X-Men; Spider-Man; Fantastic Four; Hulk; Avengers; and Daredevil families as they were origiinal divided up for film rights. That includes all villains and associated characters, including super-heros that originated or are closely related.

That was what I was hoping. Take a StarTours ride to the Edge of the Galaxy and exit the ride into it.

That was what I was hoping. Take a StarTours ride to the Edge of the Galaxy and exit the ride into it.

Just looked at the latest aerials. I can now see there is no way to connect StarTours to Galaxy's Edge. They are much further apart than I realized.

Looking at the aerials I was thinking if you took a left turn coming off of Star Tours (instead of taking a right turn to the gift shop), and built a themed route/enclosed tunnel around the back of Mama Melrose's you would be walking right into Batuu...

It will be sad when Star Tours does eventually go but when we see what we are getting with Galaxy’s Edge, it’s a worth while trade off.

I know they will probably repurpose Star Tours but I’d prefer they update the stunt show and bull zone Star Tours and put In an Indy ride.

Where Disney have started putting Marvel into Epcot, I’d prefer they stick to putting marvel there

Everyone in my family loves Star Tours. My husband went to Disney for the first time back in 2016, and we rode it multiple times in a row since there were no lines. It's become the joke in our family that he and my oldest son wish we could put that ride in our basement. For me, having grown up going to Disney almost ever year, Star Tours is a ride of nostalgia, and it's only improved with time. I understand it will eventually be gone, but it will be a sad day when it does.

So as shared before, there was a plan to potentially tie in Star Tours later on, but that has been walked away from, per multiple insiders.

Don't forget, there is still some chatter of a DHS boat ride using Shanghai Pirates system for and Indy ride, and per a few the DHS version is leading the fight over AK getting it. I don't know where this ride will be put, but if it happens, not sure what happens to the current stunt show.

Also, having Star tours revamped to a new IP allows for more crowd activity outside of SWs...so that may be a good thing as well

I remain surprised that muppets survived the SWGE axe to that area of the park. It's not as big an IP as it was 20 or more years ago and seperates an attraction that belongs to a new area. They could have easily torn down or repurposed the muppets and added all that land for SWGE, and then had 4 or 5 attractions vs 2 in SWGE. The SW IP is exponentially larger than muppets. Guess they figured losing yet another attraction during this time would make it even harder to justify full price admission.
Seems clear though that it's days are numbered. Perhaps a motion simulation version of the Indy ride from DLR since it's near the Indy show and they are rebooting (killing) the Indy franchise.

I’ll miss star tours. However I wonder what ip would be best for retheming. One thing that make star tours cool was the randomness which worked with Star Wars because of different planets. Not sure what other ip easily lends itself to that kind of randomnesss. Kingdom hearts the ride?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!