Woman kicked out of a Starbucks, was complaining that other customers were speaking Korean

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I live reasonably close to the city where this occurred. Definitely been there many times, although I'm not sure about this particular store (I'm not a Starbucks fan). An international student from Korea was speaking to a Korean-American tutor in her native language when they got accosted by a woman complaining about it. She didn't leave until the cops showed up.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article189768224.html

Just when I get a little smug and think that this kind of crap doesn’t happen near me, and I’m proved wrong! This is two towns over from me, in the same suburban area (east of Oakland).
What is wrong with people like this?! I just can’t wrap my head around this type of attitude. I’m impressed when I hear non-English being spoken. I figure that they’re smarter than me - I don’t speak another language! They probably speak English, as well as whatever language they’re speaking.

There are various sources that say that although she seems like someone's grandma that she may be somewhat unstable. Obviously the staff is making it clear that she's harassed other customers before.

And the really odd thing is that it doesn't look like she's bought anything. I'd at least try to pretend that I'm drinking out of an empty cup, and I've actually seen that before from someone who was tossed from a fast food restaurant.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Tri-lingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bi-lingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language? American.

Last summer we took a river cruise through Germany and the cruise director spoke 7 languages. She's learning two more.

Uggh...people are just so cringeworthy these days. I think there's been an unleashing/acceptance of obnoxious behavior these days. It was always there but people had the good sense to stifle it.

I'm not sure why this bothers people. I guess we have a certain slice of the culture that just wants things to be 100% like them. They'd hate where I live. I routinely go to local establishments where the food is great, the people are great, but they only speak English to take my order. I don't care.

I’m with the poster who said it’s none of my business what language other people are speaking to each other. I can’t understand why anyone would care. It’s just ridiculous.

Just to look at the lady though, tells you there's not something quite right with her.

At our nursing home, one of the "rules" is that the staff is to speak English in front of English speaking residents because some residents have informed us that they feel like the staff is speaking about them when they don't speak English in front of them. In other words, it makes them feel left out and uncomfortable. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

Last edited:
What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Tri-lingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bi-lingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language? American.

Last summer we took a river cruise through Germany and the cruise director spoke 7 languages. She's learning two more.

Meh, if every state had their own language, Americans would speak more languages. If you’re a tour guide in a part of the World where you might experience a dozen different languages in a 500 mile drive, of course you’re going to know more than one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter