Wonderful time on the Wonder, October 16-23, 2011!

DisneylandFamilyOf6

Earning My Ears
This is my first time writing a trip report (or posting on this forum, however I did find the information on this board to be very helpful while planning our cruise), so I guess I'll start with some background information. My husband and I have four kids- a 13 year old daughter, and 10, 7, and 3 year old sons. This is our third cruise as a family, and our second Disney cruise (however this was our first cruise with all four kids). We went on the Magic in 2003, and the Norwegian Dawn in 2009. We've been to WDW a few times in the past, and frequently go to Disneyland. We're all Disney fans, and had high expectations for this cruise-which were definitely met!

Food
We ate at all of the restaurants (with the exception of Palo) while on this cruise, and thought that the food was great...with a few exceptions.
On our second afternoon, we ate at Pinocchio's Pizzeria. The pizza wasn't very good, so I recommend that you skip it.
I do wish that Disney would switch up their breakfast offerings. We ate at Parrot Cay or Beach Blanket every morning, and I noticed that the same things were offered. I would've loved to see some different egg dishes besides scrambled eggs.
The steak on the ship was great, and the pasta dishes were generally delicious. The chocolate Mickey bars were a big hit with the kids, as was the ice cream offered by Goofy's Galley.

Kids' Programming
Our 13 year old daughter greatly enjoyed the Edge. There were lots of fun things to do, and the other tweens were very nice. The counselors were kind as well. She wished that some of the evening activities (such as the space swap with Vibe) happened earlier rather than at 11pm. The boys loved the Oceaneer Lab and Club. All three of them were able to go to both places. It was especially helpful because the 3 year old did not want to be left alone at the Club. I also liked that the 13 year old was allowed into the Lab and Club to hang out with her brothers.

Rooms
Our rooms were great. Initially, one room was a Verandah, and the other was an inside stateroom across the hall. At the port, we were able to upgrade to Verandahs that were next to each other. We were right by the elevator and stairs, which was very convenient and not at all noisy.

Service
The service was one of the highlights of the cruise. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and very engaged with our children, especially the 3 year old. Our server and assistant server were wonderful.

One thing that I noticed was that Pirate Night was very late. Our 3 year old was not able to attend the show because it was after his bedtime.

All in all, the cruise was an amazing vacation for all of us. Our daughter is already begging us to go on another!

Hello! I am cruising to Mexico on Sunday (5 days away!!!) I have been wondering what the weather is like during the At-Sea days - was it cold? Were you able to use the pool areas? I checked the weather in Mexico already and it looks good but just curios how it will be on the water :)

Could you tell us about your cabin upgrade please. I had read on the boards that unlike PC in LA upgrades on the MR cruise are not discounted. Was your only option to pay rack rate?

Thanks

The weather was very warm/humid for all the days we were in Mexico. The first few at sea days were warm-definitely nice enough for the pool. The last at sea day was cool-really way too cold for the pool. The hot tubs were filled with kids! And they had the blankets out on the chaise lounges for "hanging out".

In terms of our upgrade, it was about $400 to bump up to the outside Verandah cabin-not sure what the rack rate was.

$400?? YEAH!!! Thats good news for our cruise, Val!!! :cool1:

Maybe or maybe not. I calculate that if her inside statement was the least expense, 11C the rack rate was $839 and the least expensive verandah, $1349, the difference would be $510. However, if she went from the most expensive inside, 10C, $1129 to a 7A verandah, the rate difference is only $220. So it really depends what category inside and what category verandah she had and upgraded to. Guess we would need to know that to determine if they discounted the upgrade at all but regardless, it wasn't the 50% we hear about in PC.

Who did you talk to about the upgrade? Did you talk to the people who check you in, or did you discuss it someone once you boarded?

you check in first and then ask/check at the furthest station at the counter and if none are available a sign is posted, if any are them ask the CM about them

Thanks for the updated information on the MR cruise. We leave in 22 days. I am sad to hear that Christian is not the CD. Oh well. How were the sea conditions? Any rough seas? Our last MR cruise we hit a patch of rough seas on our first sea day and last.

Jimmy was finishing his contract as CD. Christian was on the ship that week and is now the CD as Jimmy has time off to spend with his family. The last cruise I took Christian was the CD, they are both pretty comparable.

Oops! My daughter told me it was Jimmy, but I thought it was Jamie. My mistake!

As for sea conditions, it was smooth sailing the whole time!

Good to hear that the sea conditions were FABULOUS! Thanks for the CD 411! I am happy to hear that Christian will be my CD! He is great fun.

Any picture you'd like to share?...I have less that 2 weeks and need to pass the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter