Update 05/24/22 Wondering why in the name of Mickey Disney!

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Hello All,
I don’t know if it’s the fact that the last 2 weeks my family should have been in Hawaii and we have been reminiscing on trips past or the fact that our weather has changed to be a bit fall like but I thought I’d do a pre-trip planning report. Some of you might remember me from my Fantasy report https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...ed-10-17-19-straight-on-till-morning.3767908/

This trip on the Wonder to Alaska August 2021 will be DH, myself, and twin daughters who *gasp* will turn 9 on this trip. I booked it silver opening day which was February 27, 2020 using a placeholder and lucky us we were the last group that also received the OBC as well. Hard to believe I booked this on my own (no TA this time) before everything got all COVIDY. I also added on prepaid gratuities at time of booking and I might add on the DCL protection or go through a third party for trip insurance. We’ve discussed it at length and we will cruise only if masks do not need to be worn 24/7. We are totally all about wearing them to run into the grocery, to work, and school but paying just over 9k for a cruise to our dream destination I can’t justify it. Who knows maybe 6 months from now I will feel differently and will really need a vacation!

We will be in 6048 a 5B deluxe ocean view stateroom with verandah. When I called to book I originally wanted room 6056 and the DCL agent said we would be better off moving down the hall and she suggested the stateroom and I said ok. Fingers crossed it is quiet and a nice location.
For flying out we are from upstate NY and have a couple airports we could choose from that will bring us to Chicago and the Chicago to Vancouver. Most likely we will go United. I’ve read other places how expensive it is to fly here but it is no more than it would cost for us to fly to Orlando. Our plan is to fly in Friday before embarkation. We should land around 12:30pm local time giving us some time to get settled in our hotel, maybe a little exploring, and an early dinner.

A few weeks ago I was exploring Vancouver hotels and settled on the Fairmont Pacific Rim. I got an amazing deal for the 3 nights at 1,007 USD. I joined their loyalty program and got a percentage off. This rate can be cancelled at any time up to 48 hours before check-in and is for a city view 2 queen beds. I went with the Pacific Rim for a couple of reasons 2 queen sized beds, heated outdoor pool looks very nice, smaller hotel than the Pan Pacific, and they also have complimentary bike and car services. Plus at the time the Pan Pacific was more money and it was confusing to book you had to be careful as not all options can be cancelled. I’m going to keep checking prices but I’m 90% sure we are going to stick with what I booked.
While in Vancouver on our to-do list is the following.
  • Aquarium
  • Horse Drawn Carriage Ride through Stanley Park
  • Grouse Mountain
  • Fly Over Canada
We would also love recommendations for nice and yummy restaurants while here. Especially for the Sunday night before embarkation as that is the girls birthday someplace fun for 2 9 year old girls would be nice!
That’s all for now I will add to the post on what I find for excursions in our ports of call which are Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

Photo Fantasy from tender to Grand Cayman

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with being hopeful and positive about cruising in 2021! The Alaskan cruise is amazing, we've done it twice (2017&2019) and I'd do it a third time if we could :thumbsup2 It also helps that we live in Vancouver so there is no airfare for us.
Speaking of airfare, Air Canada has a direct non-stop flight between Vancouver and Newark (Air Canada code shares with United). We took that flight when we flew to NYC to sail on the Magic in Oct 2019.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being hopeful and positive about cruising in 2021! The Alaskan cruise is amazing, we've done it twice (2017&2019) and I'd do it a third time if we could :thumbsup2 It also helps that we live in Vancouver so there is no airfare for us.
Speaking of airfare, Air Canada has a direct non-stop flight between Vancouver and Newark (Air Canada code shares with United). We took that flight when we flew to NYC to sail on the Magic in Oct 2019.
We love the Newark airport it’s about 2.5-3 hour drive from our house. Plus we have to pay for parking which is pricy there. However, if including parking cost, good flight times, and cheap flights it might be worth it. I’m really excited to tour Vancouver it looks like an awesome city!

Well here we are just about 9 months shy of when we are supposed to sail. I’m starting to have a little faith that we will indeed be going. After discussing it with DH we have made a list of things that we are ok with if they are changed such as we are good with masks, no buffets, and no shows. We really do want the characters and kids club so we will wait and see what Disney does there.

As for planning the last view months I’ve watched an excellent vlog on the Alaska Wonder! Not sure if I can mention their youtube channel here or not. I’ve also looked into excursions we are silver and while I’d love to book independent excursions I’m focusing on Disney ones just in case we have to stay in that bubble they speak of.

Skagway plan right now is to do the Musher’s Camp & Sled Dog Experience SW24. If we are allowed to I’ve been researching local hikes from town. The National Parks Service hiking trail in Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park has a great list of short hikes that you can do in an hour or two from town. DH is a huge Klondike gold rush fan so one of them is the cemetery so that is on our list. However, if we can’t walk on our own we are going to shoot for another half day excursion since the dog sled is only 3 hours so 1 in the am lunch on board and then 1 pm excursion. Perhaps the Jewell Gardens SW68 or the adventure park zip lines SW01. I wish they had a short train ride available because I don’t think we could do more than 2 hours on train.

Juneau I’m torn… We really want to do the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure JU56 but would like time to visit the visitor center and hike a couple of the trails here. This excursion is only 3.5 hours long and I wonder if instead of getting on the van to ride back to port we could stay at the park and walk the trails in hopes of seeing a bear and take a cab back. If we can do this excursion this way that’s what we will do but if we have to remain in a bubble with cruise-based excursions most likely we will go with Mendenhall Glacier Adventure Hike JU32 because seeing bears is on our top to do list! Fingers crossed we can go off on our own and do the canoe, walk around the park a bit with a cab back to port, and perhaps even a stop at Tracys!

Ketchikan oh the struggle is real here lots to do. Ideally, I’d like a 3 hour excursion first thing upon docking followed by a long leisurely stroll down Creek Street to the salmon ladder. The contenders are Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman’s tour KE28, Rainforest Family Adventure KE54, or Wildlife Safari and Beach Bonfire KE56. If you have been on any of these would love to hear what you think.

Within the next 2 months I’m hoping Disney releases their plans and I can then seriously look into flights. Looking into excursions the last 2 months has brought me to a happy place:earsboy: and now I will be focusing on the holidays a bit. Would love to hear about your experiences even if it is not on these port adventures.

Here we are a year later... We have decided that we will not be going on our August 2021 Alaska cruise :sad:
But good news. This summer we are going to do a road trip and stop at several points in MA and Maine ultimately spending several days in Bar Harbor to enjoy Acadia. Even better news 2022 will be the year of the cruise I have moved my placeholder and OBC to a 5n Magic cruise in April which will be amazing since we really want to cruise on the Magic HUGE Rapunzel fans here and we like everyone else are wondering when Summer 2022 will be announced. We will be booking Alaska preferably one of the last 2 weeks in August. I'm a little worried that competition will be fierce and prices will be steep. We are only silver so fingers crossed we get the cabin we want.

After being one of the lucky ones only on hold for about 3 hours and 20mins I got through to a lovely agent. He was able to move my 2021 booking to the same week in 2022 however our original room 6048 so we are moving onto the starboard side to 6548. Interesting this room was not showing on the computer on my end but was on the agents. I think we will really like this location. I also retained my placeholder 10% and OBC of 200$ from 2019. I'm hoping I can move our hotel reservations to next year at the same price 🤞 Now I'm wondering what Alaska will look like in 2022 will the same tour operators be available to be honest I just want to cruise and am pretty sure we will also be booking one for spring break 2022 just to go to Castaway. Our girls will be 10 the day we embark for Alaska and I have a feeling will soon age out of this although my husband says no because mommy has not aged out yet... Will update.

Quick update with something cool. We are planning on spending a week and half this summer road tripping through Maine and spending a great deal of time in Acadia. I was looking through the National parks website and came across Junior Ranger passports that you can purchase and get stamped. For 18 bucks you can get the junior ranger and adult ones. which I'm going to go with. we can use these at Cadillac Mountain in Acadia, Skagway, and then at Mendenhall. Plus not to mention all the other places in the US!

Quick update I’ve got all the planning/booking done for Maine this summer. I might do a port review of the activities we do in Bar Harbor as DCL stops there sometimes. Now for Alaska if you remember I booked Fairmont pacific rim pre cruise 3n at an amazing rate. Well next year is posted and it is 350$ usd more! I’m going to call this weekend and see if they can just move it without price increase to the 2022 dates. I’m also now thinking about a vrbo or Airbnb after reading other TR might be nice to spread out and have easy access to laundry. Also yesterday I did a quick search on the Alaska shore excursions website and see some are already booking for 2022! I wonder if it’s to early? not sure what to do! I see people in my cruise group who had bookings for summer 2021 with Chilkot moved them to the 2022 dates. I’m thinking of booking things but only if they are refundable.

Hi there! We are also doing a third times the charm cruise! (Actually fourth as we changed our dates for 2022...) We are scheduled to sail on the June 13th sailing next year. How are you holding up with your planning?

Hi there! We are also doing a third times the charm cruise! (Actually fourth as we changed our dates for 2022...) We are scheduled to sail on the June 13th sailing next year. How are you holding up with your planning?
Holding up! We are on the august 22. I can’t believe another year is passing and we are not doing a Disney trip. I’ve found a great company for Skagway called packer expeditions that we are going to use. I’m anxiously awaiting the release of the hotel rates for Vancouver. Looks like it might be tomorrow I’m also looking into possible Airbnb but really want to stick with the west end neighborhood and does not look like there are many of them. How about you? At least we have our Acadia trip to look forward to in about 9 days!

Holding up! We are on the august 22. I can’t believe another year is passing and we are not doing a Disney trip. I’ve found a great company for Skagway called packer expeditions that we are going to use. I’m anxiously awaiting the release of the hotel rates for Vancouver. Looks like it might be tomorrow I’m also looking into possible Airbnb but really want to stick with the west end neighborhood and does not look like there are many of them. How about you? At least we have our Acadia trip to look forward to in about 9 days!

It's so weird to just constantly have it pushed back. I had done a lot of planning, then let it lag, but we just switched from 8/8 to 6/13 and that reinvigorated me to make some plans. (Yes, I'm one of those people with a spreadsheet!) We booked the Pan Pacific pre-cruise and they are open for booking through at least September, but hopefully, Pacific Rim or anywhere else you'd like to stay would open up soon too.

Your Acadia trip sounds amazing! We're in central PA and I want to get up to Boston and points north some time. I have the hardest time narrowing down vacation choices because I want to take all the vacations, but I guess we have to work to pay for them! LOL!

Quick update as I'm thinking of Alaska a great deal this week as this was supposed to be the week we sailed. I called Pacific Rim 3 weeks ago and tried to move my reservation to 2022. However, this could not be done I had to cancel my 2021 and reserve for 2022. The price increase for the same room is now 532 USD more for the same room category!!! I booked but will look for cheaper rates and AIRBNB. I did find one I really like but it is nonrefundable and I'm not willing to book anything that I can't get my money back. Also we just got back from Acadia which was AMAZING and a great replacement for Alaska this year! We made a pilgrimage to L.L.Bean and we got some awesome gear for next year plus replacements for my 18 year old hiking boots was nice to be able to try them on.

That's a big price difference. I'm still hoping maybe we'll see some deals on hotels, but again, with the lack of tourism this past year, I'm not holding my breath. I'm also not willing to book anything non-refundable. I'm also afraid to buy any gear in fear that my kids will outgrow it. I bought some custom outfits for them before the who Covid thing and I am pretty heartbroken that they'll likely never wear them. Acadia looks beautiful! Glad you guys enjoyed your trip!

We are on the Aug 22/22 cruise as well. We have not book a hotel yet for the Saturday and Sunday before the cruise but I have been watching pricing closely I am leaning towards the Pan Pacific but we have some Fairmont GC's to use up so might go that way. Waiting to book flights as pricing is really high right now and it would be a 12 hour drive through the mountains to get to Vancouver so keeping the option open.

We are on the Aug 22/22 cruise as well. We have not book a hotel yet for the Saturday and Sunday before the cruise but I have been watching pricing closely I am leaning towards the Pan Pacific but we have some Fairmont GC's to use up so might go that way. Waiting to book flights as pricing is really high right now and it would be a 12 hour drive through the mountains to get to Vancouver so keeping the option open.
flights right now are 3times what I had originally planned on . It’s crazy and I’m waiting as well. We are coming from the east coast so unfortunately we can’t drive. I’m slightly optimistic at this point we will be on the ship but have not booked any outside excursions like I would normally because of our girls. Time will tell

Hello it's been a while since my last update. Upon looking at my countdown this morning it says 200 days! Will that be enough time for the world to get it's act together? I feel like I should have flights and excursions booked by now but have nothing..... Truth be told if the current regulations are in place we will not be doing Alaska and transferring our booking to the 5n dream in August out of Miami. We have a lot of reasons for thinking this right now. Vacation is supposed to be fun and the added stress of testing, do I really want to spend 3 nights in Vancouver ahead of the cruise and risk getting sick, a ton of money for a reduced Disney Alaska experience, having to move from our verandah stateroom to deck 2, and possibly not getting excursions we want. The question now is how long do I hold out for to see what the changes will be? I want to be able to transfer my PH and OBC to the dream and get the stateroom I want and main dining. I was thinking May that way I can see what the first Alaska cruises are like but then I worry about not being able to get onto the Dream. Remember when vacation planning was easy!

I worry about the testing too. I think I've figured out we'll need tested four times, at least, to do this cruise to Alaska. But my kids are so stoked for Alaska. I'm also nervous about the Canadian border requirements impacting excursions, particularly in Skagway. We had planned to do a tour with Chilkoot and they are only taking names on a waitlist basis due to the Canadian border restrictions. I think all of our "backup" choices there involve the White Pass railway so not sure what will happen there...

I worry about the testing too. I think I've figured out we'll need tested four times, at least, to do this cruise to Alaska. But my kids are so stoked for Alaska. I'm also nervous about the Canadian border requirements impacting excursions, particularly in Skagway. We had planned to do a tour with Chilkoot and they are only taking names on a waitlist basis due to the Canadian border restrictions. I think all of our "backup" choices there involve the White Pass railway so not sure what will happen there...
I know it’s so hard to plan! For us coming from upstate NY flights have also become an issue. When I started looking over 2 years ago united premium was 600$ now it’s 1200$ for just base economy crazy! Also the nice flight times are no longer being offered so instead of disembarking and doing a 1pm flight that would have us landing at 11:30 pm NY time we would have to do a red eye leaving at 7pm yuck to that! We’re lucky our girls just want to go on vacation anywhere! They have lists a mile long of places they would like to see. I wish I had been that cool at 9 lol! I feel like in the next 90 days a lot more will be made clear. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

I figured I would do a little update as I have been seriously planning and booking things. Based on this morning updates I’m really wondering how I’m going to make the travel days work as I am going to be flipping out over the testing 1 day prior. Still have not pulled the trigger on airfare yet and the testing is part of the reason I had originally planned to come in 3 nights prior. Well now I’m thinking fly in the night before there is a flight that gets us in at 9pm that way I could test at home 1 day prior if Disney lets us do it on our own. Personally, I would rather do this just because embarkation is the girls 10 birthday and nothing says boohoo worse than getting turned away at port after traveling across the country to different country! Also, I really need the US to drop the test too! Lol Maybe by August you will no longer need to test what are the odds. I also need to get trip insurance and have no idea where to begin with that. I would like something that covers our air, cruise, and excursions. Ok now on to the fun stuff
Skagway: We are not the type to sit on a train for over 2 hours and or drive on our own all day exploring. I wish there was a shorter train ride but alas. One of the biggest issues I have with Disney is our girls turn 10 on embarkation day so are considered an adult for excursions. I booked Skagway Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Adventure through Alaska Shore excursions (Description below). The price is 133 for each adult and 109 for each child. With taxes it came to 508.20. I had to pay in full but I can get a full refund up to 30days prior and then it is a sliding scale of money back. Also, if the ship does not dock full refund. Disney would have cost 183.00 X4 = 732.00 I booked the 2pm tour vs the 10am. I felt like we could get a great deal done from 8-1pm on our own versus getting back at 2pm from the morning one and only have 3 hours before dinner.
Description of excursion.
  • Meet your friendly guides at the dock and head out of Skagway. Your guides will give you a narrated account of its rich Gold Rush history and present-day community. Then, you can relax during the 9-mile (approximately 40 minutes) seaside drive to the northern most point of the Lynn Canal, the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and our Musher's Camp.
  • Switch into our thrilling 4x4 Unimog vehicles and be driven up 1.5 miles of off-road fun. At the top, you will meet the dogs and climb onto a wheeled sled custom made for running during the snow-less summer months. The husky team will whisk you along a one-mile, wooded trail through some of the Southeast Alaska's beautiful temperate rainforest.
  • Meet a fun dog musher and learn about the hard work, dedication and energy involved in this wonderful and rewarding sport.
  • Before you leave, don't forget to snuggle with our adorable husky puppies and enjoy some free time to visit with the dogs or stop by the snack bar to purchase a beverage. You can inspect the racing gear and equipment and, of course, remember to snap some photos memorializing this truly unique Alaskan adventure, before travelling back to the pier.
Juneau: This was an easy port to plan as we want to whale watch and see Mendenhall. After doing a lot of research I booked Rum Runner Charters for a 2.5-hour PRIVATE whale watching tour the cost is 672.50. I had to pay half as a deposit that is fully refundable until 30 days out then 7-29 you get only half back then nothing. They will then provide transportation from the cruise ship port to their boat (7am pickup!) and then to the glacier and we can take a cab or bus back paying 1 way out of pocket. The excursion I was looking at through Disney would have 916.00 so I see this as a saving still. No matter what Juneau can be an expensive port!

Ketchikan: I knew I wanted to do rainforest here and have time to peruse creek street. I booked through Wild Wolf Tours a 3-hour rainforest tour from 11:45-2:45. Cost was 99 per adult and 69 for children total was 336.00 I had to prepay the full amount through PayPal. This is fully refundable until 30 days out. This will allow us 2.5hours after to explore creek street and the salmon ladder. Description from Wild Wolf Tours website.

CO TOUR Rainforest Walk / Hike and visit a Totem Park in Ketchikan, Alaska.
Our 3 hour tour includes about 45 minutes to 1 hour rainforest walk on Lunch Creek Trail (approximately 1.5 miles roundtrip). This well maintained gravel trail follows a beautiful cascading creek. There are some stairs and uphill / downhill portions of the nature trail. We stop at an amazing waterfall viewing area, which is a great photo op. Our Ketchikan tour offers an off the beaten path experience in the lush rainforest where you can explore the amazing beauty of Alaska. Venture along scenic Lunch Creek with giant Sitka Spruce, Western Hemlock and Cedar Trees towering above you. In season there are Blueberries, Salmonberries, and Huckleberries. See Devils Club and Skunk Cabbage while learning how these abundant resources were vital to the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Natives.
This is a wonderful opportunity to take in the fresh Alaska air out in Ketchikan’s majestic Rainforest. Many have described this area as magical with all the moss and lichens blanketing the forest floor. Our Local guide will share knowledge of flora and fauna on the trail.
After our nature hike enjoy a light snack of tasty smoked salmon dip with crackers and bottled water.
We then journey to a totem park where you can step inside a clan house and view the Alaska Native Totem Poles with the Pacific Ocean setting the perfect back drop. Your local Ketchikan guide will share stories behind the totem poles and the native culture with you.
There are wonderful photo opportunities throughout the tour. Our local guide will share Ketchikan’s history and knowledge of the area. Escape the crowds of downtown and large bus tours and enjoy a small size tour with more personal attention. We take a maximum of 11 guests.

Ask about our Scavenger Hunt for the kids or try to Geocaching, it’s like a treasure hunt using a GPS.
Our tour includes transportation to and from the cruise ship dock. We offer a quality personal tour and work to ensure you enjoy your time in Ketchikan.

I’m following along! My family went to Boston|Maine last summer too. We live in AZ so we flew there, rode the subway, bus, ferry in Boston, then took the train to Portland where we rented a car. Acadia was amazing. We joked that we flew all the way across the country to save $30 on admission since my son was in 4th grade. I still cant get over how beautiful it is. I seriously was on Zillow looking at houses that we’d never actually move to 🤣. I was so fascinated by how many houses in Maine (and from the train) had the cute little porches with American flags. And no fences! Here in AZ every house has (painted and plastered) cinderblock fences.

I found your report after reading about your western. We are sailing on the Dream in October- rescheduled 3 times from July 2020! We did Alaska when my kids were 1 and 2, they are 10/11 now. It was amazing but they were way too little! I’d love a redo no2 that they’re older. Dog mushing sounds so fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!