Wondering why the metric system has never been converted to by the US

If I remember correctly regarding speed. In Canada speed signs were posted in metric. In the usa they posted both ways. In Canada you learned fast or got a speeding ticket. I was sailing down the highway 100 speedometer wasn't marked in metric. Crazy I know, when you're young. My cousin was with me and knew metric. He said multiply by .6 and drop the right hand digit. Thank god the Mounties were busy somewhere else.

Off topic. We crossed over to us at Detroit. Back then American currency was more than Canadian. The toll taker had two bags of coins. The toll was 25 cents Canadian (I think). Every time someone gave him American he would replace it with Canadian. Easy money for him.

If you multiply by .6, you would not want to drop the right hand digit.

I don’t see the parallel with language. That is very much tied to culture — makes sense for people to retain, protect and pass on. Not so with a system of measurement.

People reflexively resist change yet it’s around us every day — and we end up dealing with it. There’s no intelligent reason to resist a change that is in fact an improvement. Only excuses.
Units of measure are used to convey an idea, or concept, relating to dimensional, weight/mass, and volumetric bases, to another person exactly like a language.
Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology By Connie L Dotson, explains why the concepts of dimensional measurement are indeed a language.
This is a preview; https://books.google.com/books?id=t...e dimensional measurements a language&f=false
If you scroll down to Chapter 1-1 you will find the information which explains why measurements are the language of science.
I suppose the bottom line is that the U.S. will continue to use it's current system as long as we deem it appropriate.

Units of measure are used to convey an idea, or concept, relating to dimensional, weight/mass, and volumetric bases, to another person exactly like a language.
Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology By Connie L Dotson, explains why the concepts of dimensional measurement are indeed a language.
This is a preview; https://books.google.com/books?id=t9-5CAAAQBAJ&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=are+dimensional+measurements+a+language&source=bl&ots=q4IW0RvDUO&sig=du8x1oLlcRYh-rVQtARkynt0cBU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE7sezr-LbAhUB64MKHYJUD7EQ6AEI2gEwGQ#v=onepage&q=are dimensional measurements a language&f=false
If you scroll down to Chapter 1-1 you will find the information which explains why measurements are the language of science.
I suppose the bottom line is that the U.S. will continue to use it's current system as long as we deem it appropriate.
Feels like you’re just trying to disagree with my language/culture point — which is a really straightforward one.

I can’t muster the energy to debate something this straightforward today. :)

It's easy to convert though. Too many people make it way too hard on themselves. You don't need to know for most recipes that a pound is .453592 Kg. All you need to know is it's just short of a half a kilo. Grandma's beef Stroganoff isn't so dependent on precise measurements that it is going to be affected. Similarly, all you really need to know is a cup is a tad over 2 1/3 deciliters or 236 ml

And for things that do require more precision, well those that use the metric system know how to bake a cake or bread too. And they have recipes. It's not like we have to reinvent fire.

Where the conversion hassle comes in is industry.
You already lost me-lol! I read a few more comments and I have a headache. Yes, math gives me a headache because I suck at it. I wish it didn't but it does

Seems that the countries that converted to the metric system, and the countries that did not are going just fine. Kind of sounds like it really isn't important as long as you measure twice and cut once

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter