Wondering

justakrazymom

DIS Veteran
Just starting to read up on the DDP.. seems like a pretty good deal..for myself and my Dh and my mom.. but not sure I want to pay that much for my 12 year old..then get the kids version for my then 3 and almost 5 year olds .. that's $180 a day for food..I can just see us leaving wdw with a buttload of credits left.. do I HAVE to buy the plan for everyone in the group?

Yes, you do have to have the plan for everyone. At counter service, if you/ your kids arent huge eaters, you can order one meal to split btw 2 of you (you and mom, and your 2 small kids) this will stretch your CS from one meal a day, to 2. If you are going to TS restaurants that are not family style or buffet , share then too, unless your fam are big eaters (ap, entree & dessert each person, per meal) :teacher:

I just can't see us eating $182 a day worth of food... Having to buy it for everyone may make it not something we do...

You have to buy it for everyone in the room. Are you all staying in one room??? If you have two you could put your mom and say the 12 year old in one room (on the reservation) and the rest on your room reservation. Then you can get the dining plan for just you, hubbie, and little ones. You'll have to share credits...pay oop for some...but it will cost less and you will have fewer credits if that is what you're looking for.

No we will be in 2 rooms.. I think I'll have to really do some research and see what I think we'd spend OOP without the plan.. If I do the plan I don't want to have to think about paying for anything OOP so getting it for everyone would be the way to do that.. I just need to see if we'd actually save money in the long run.

Edited because I didnt like how i wrote it...and to add...don't forget to add in tax and tip when you add up what you would spend without the plan since these are included with the plan. and again because of mistakes

Are you going to be going to character meals? (every person is charged for at those) that was our starting point in figuring things out. At first I looked at 100 per day for our family as sounding so obnoxious as well. But for our family with 2 kids 2 adults the character meals (non breakfast) ran about 200. At a Counter Service we would spend about $25 at a meal time if we were being very careful and sharing 3 meals between the 4 Occasionally we might share 2 but we would rarely get 4 and often just the 3 meals could get more expensive. So for meals a day (comparing to the plan giving you 2 meals a day - 1CS and 1TS) over 7 days = 12 CS plus the 2 character meals it would be aobut 500 with no snacks, no extras, sharing everyting all the time, no one ever having fredom to order what they want except the 2 buffet's so we probably would have wound up well over that - the plan was 700 for the 7 days and by sharing some credits we ate over 8 days as a family at 7 counter services and 8 table services one of those being 2 credits, and I had breakfast alone in the Food Court 4 times. We had little OOP...just extra sodas a couple of times because of sharing. I didnt include sodas/breakfast items/crackers brought with us to have in the room or walking in the park because that is done either way but we used less of this stuff on the plan cause we would just use a snack credit or were always full enough from meals.

It really may not save you any money, may cost a bit more but if you werent planning on 'cooking' in your room but buying in the parks/hotel you will eat so much better for not much more....I totally dont compare to the prices on my receipts because I only order those dishes etc because I'm on the dp. However since we do share a lot ... I will do things like order hubbies appetizer for my main course, and a salad ast the kids appetizer for me. Then give the split the two deserts between the four of us. No one ever wanted really big meals. But those two restaurants I ordered one adult and one kids meal in the ticket was $100 for the meal....I'm just mentioning that to say that it isn't like I could have gotten away with this at the $10 restaurants. It was definitely nice even though I had to plan for the sharing etc but I wasnt sticker shocked everytime we sat down.

Your plan to research is the best. Pull up the menus of where you want to eat and "order." Don't forget to add tax to both CS and TS and tip to TS as they are included.

We found we broke even on TS leaving CS and snacks as "free!"

Yes, do some reseach on what restaurants you might want to eat at. It might be better to pay oop for some restaurants than other. We are going in August for 11 days. I also have a DS 14 who is not a very big eater and we are on the dining plan. What we are doing is Spiting most all or our counters between the three of us, which allows us to use some of the counters for breakfast. We are also splitting some of the table meals as well. What I found the easiest is to make a chart of the days you are there, then figure out which restaurants you want to eat at. Go to all ears and look at the menu's. If the meals look big enough to split, then figure out how many credits you will use for that meal. Then work your way though the rest of the week. Here is an example as to what we are doing. We have reservations at Sci fi Dine for 11:25, we are using on 2 TS and paying oop for a drink. Then the same day we have reservations at Le Cellier and we are usuing 3TS. We will probably not eat breakfast that day and if we do, we will use a snack credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter