• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would DCA be worth it by myself?

DisneyGirl

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone--

I'll be in Disneyland for the 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks-- I'm traveling by myself for the race. I've been to Disneyland, and I go to Disneyworld a lot, but I have never been to Disneyland California Adventure. I'm thinking of doing the park by myself after the race on Sunday (I'm flying back on Monday, and I'm not sure I want to walk too much on Saturday). Do you think it is worth it? Do you think the park is conducive to doing by myself (or will I feel awkward on the rides by myself??)? Also, will I be able to get the most out of it in about 3/4 of a day (what I figure I will have after getting back to the hotel, showering, changing, etc.)?

Oh-- and I'll be at the Grand Californian, so I think I will have a special entrance from the hotel??

Can't wait to hear your opinions!!

If you haven't been there definately do it! Some of the rides, like Soarin', won't matter at all if you're alone, plus you can use the single rider line! The Animation Building has lots of stuff to do and see and again, not a problem being there alone, I don't think anyone would even notice.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to go on any of the rides alone, but some people aren't as comfortable with that. I think there's lots to do and see there and you should be able to do most of it in the time you have.

Plus, you're correct, you do have your own entrace from the Grand Californian!

I would say DCA is as conducive to solo visits as any of the Disney parks. You should be able to do most everything there in 3/4 of a day. I would do it if I were you.

The other choice of course is to buy a one-day hopper ticket (extra $20) and hop to DL. Not sure how recently you have been, but things worth doing that are recent and differ from MK are:

Revamped Space Mtn
Revamped POTC
Remember Dreams Come True fireowrks/laser/special effect show

In any case, I would definitely hit DCA for a one-day.

California Screamin' = single rider line, no wait
Grizzly River Rapids = single rider line, no wait
Soarin' is my favorite of all Disney rides and certainly could be done alone
Tower of Terror, there are 21 people in an elevator so not a problem going alone.
Aladdin is an amazing show that we have seen many times and still enjoy!

You definately can have a good time there and being alone (i.e. not having to wait for others or decide what everyone wants to do next) you could see most of the park in 3/4 day.

MrsMork said:
Aladdin is an amazing show that we have seen many times and still enjoy!
Great show, and not to be missed -if they are performing it. Which is not the case in later Sept because they going thru a re-casting process before launching it again in Oct.

And the MrsMork's list I would add Animation Studios at DCA and Monsters Inc. If you have not yet seen Turtle Talk with Crush, you can see it at DCA at the Animation Studios - and it is well worth it.

also make sure to see the Golden Dreams film.....it will feel good to sit and rest, and it is a worthwhile movie. No need to line up until right before showtime usually.

Aladdin! That's worth going into DCA all by itself. I would definitely do DCA on my own! It's a great sized park for a one day tour. A lot of people "ding" DCA, but I really enjoyed my time there! I wouldn't hesitate going back!

Would you be up touring DCA after a 1/2 marathon? I think I'd be exhausted. Of course, if you're like my co-worker, who just completed the Canadian Iron Man a couple weeks ago, a 1/2 marathon would be nothing more than a nice warm up. Go for it, and good luck in the race.

I was also going to suggest that if you wanted a companion for the day...post a thread on the WISH board and see if anyone else is in the same boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter