Would love your advice on a NYC, Boston East Coast trip please

viaggiamo

Mouseketeer
Hi

We are a family of 4, (children aged 9 and 7) who are going back to the USA next April for 4-5 weeks.

DH and I have been 8 times but the children "only" twice to the West Coast.

This trip we will fly to NYC and stay there for 10 days or so as DH will fly from here to Augusta to attend the Masters. (golf)

Then he will fly back and we would like to visit Boston and take the kids to DC.

Would it be too cold to venture further north into Maine, CT and Rhode Island? Has anyone been? I would love your experiences please.

We also would like to drive south, through the Carolinas to Savannah and Charleston. If you have any tips or ideas on these areas I would love that too please.

I am not sure if we can do both North and South as we like to travel slower and experience places, letting them soak in a bit rather than bustling around ticking things off. Especially with the kids, although they are seasoned travellers and love it too!

Thanks x

I'm actually heading to Boston/Newport RI later this week for work. Boston is very close to my favorite city in the US and I'm expecting it'll still be a little cool, especially in the evenings. Should be a nice time to travel though. I'll try to remember to drop back into this thread next week while I'm there and give you a "weather update". :)

One of the places we love is Myrtle beach SC. It is a beach side area. It is a bit tacky and touristy but that's part of the fun off it. They have a large number of miniature golf courses and hotels with great pools. We also enjoy Charleston SC and going on a horse and carriage ride through the historic district.

I did a driving trip November 2014 from Boston to Newport, Philadelphia, Washington. It was a great trip! It was quite cool in places, but as long as I was rugged up I could still tour around. The drive from Newport to Philadelphia was quite a slog, but if you break it up by visiting New York, you should be fine. I can't comment on the southern locations you're looking at, I'm still trying to get there myself!

If you've already started researching Boston, you'll know how expensive the accommodation can be. They have a bed and breakfast association that is a lot more affordable, and with better facilities if you're staying for an extended period. I stayed off Braddock St, and the tree lined streets were stunning and I was only a block from a subway station. I wouldn't bother getting your hire car until you're ready to leave Boston, it's a walking city.

Newport is another great location. You'll definitely need a car here if you're planning on touring the houses, or see some of the beaches. You might be able to get a good deal on accommodation here if your visit coincides with the off season.

I really didn't give DC enough time. There's so much to see and much of it is quite spread out. If you go to Capitol Hill, try and talk to the police stationed here and you might be lucky enough to get a quick tour up to where the president is sworn in. There's a great view over the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter