Would you? Solo parent with toddler trip...

Becca1007

DIS Veteran
So Southwest had a huge fare sale yesterday and I picked up cheap ($44 each way) tickets into SNA. However, my significant other can't go because of a work conference. So that would leave me heading to DL solo with a 4 year old.

Would you think it is worth is considering we would be buying 2 day tickets and the toddler is only 36 inches tall (so lots of rides that he can't yet get on). No opportunity for rider switch or for me to go on the big rides since there won't be another adult to watch him.

I'm so torn since I hear crowds are light and we haven't been since toddler turned 3 (and we had to start paying for him, lol)...

Well I live locally and I have an annual pass but I’ve been visiting the parks with my 4-year-old son since he was 2 years old. My husband isn’t as Disney crazed as me, so the majority of our visits have been just the two of us, although we often go with friends now. I actually prefer to go alone with him as we can do anything we want to without having to compromise with others’ desires. We basically just wander around doing whatever we feel like! It’s the best! There’s lot to do for the under 40 inchers, so many rides and shows and parades and the FOOD! Some of my most cherished memories are my son and I alone at Disneyland.

Now I have two sons. The little one is 6 months old and he has been visiting the parks with me since he was 4 weeks old. Sometimes the three of us go, sometimes it’s just me and the baby. So much fun either way! And I am making new special cherished memories with my expanded family.

I say go for it! Go at your son’s pace, make plenty of time for rest/naps and have an magical time!

Thanks you guys, my other half was never a disney fan until we had our little guy and now he is a HUGE fan of going to see the fun and excitement that the little guy has. We went A LOT before he turned 3 so we have lots of toddler centric trips under our belt, just never solo.
I think I will measure the little guy in his park shoes and see if we can squeak by to the 38 inch mark that would let him go on Smugglers Run. Then I would feel like there was a super special reason to spend all the cash lol. We are planning a blowout 5th birthday at DL for next year with the whole extended family (VIP tour, staying on property etc etc...) so I'm hesitant to spend the cash on this trip when I know I could put it to great use later when he will be able to do more rides.
But like all of you here... I'm a big disney fan and I miss going!

I did two days by myself with my special needs/medically compromised 2 year old last October. We had a blast! It was so fun taking things at her pace and seeing “the land” through her eyes. We were able to do a few attractions and loved all the character interactions. She also loved taking the train. You can do it!

A friend of mine took her son when he was 11 months and 19 months by herself and without a stroller. And they live in Phoenix. She just held him, held his hand, or used the harness. They had a blast. She thinks that’s how he enjoys theme parks so much now at age 3. (even the ones outside of Disney). I say go for it! You don’t have to do the big rides to have a good time :)

I would do it in a heartbeat! To me my Disney magic has usually been more about the magic as seen through my kids eyes anyway. There are so many things to do, parades, character interactions, etc. in addition to the ride attractions that I think you will still have a very enjoyable time. You do have a petite little one, don't you? So yes, I'd find it hard to walk by my faves, Splash and BTMRR and not be able to ride, but it wouldn't negate all the other fun things we experienced and you may find you notice details you haven't before. Hope you go and have a great time!

Yes! I took my 5-year-old GS to WDW a few years ago. There were some challenges, like waiting in long lines while other kids with more family would run off to "meet Buzz" and ride other rides while dad or grandma held their spot. We waiting about 90 minutes for Toy Story Mania, and that's what we experienced. He really wanted to ride, so he waited. We had at least 25 of these "held my spots" go past us while we stood patiently and waited. And waited. I was more annoyed because we also would have rather gone to meet Buzz and use the restroom but that was not at all possible of course.

Other than that, and it was all on me, not him, I wouldn't have changed anything. We had such a wonderful time and I would do it over and over if I could

I’m a single mom so I always go solo with my son. He’s much older (now 9) but it definitely is such a great one on one bonding time. Your kiddo gets your undivided attention when it’s just the two of you and you do end up seeing all the whimsy from their viewpoint.

I have been taking my 4 year old son solo since he was 3 since wife works weekdays. We do whatever it is he wants. Rode Monsters Inc for the 1st hour one time. Cast members would just let us walk down to boarding area when we got off since there was no line. The joy I get is seeing him smile :)

Thanks everyone... of course the tiny man would not stand up to let me measure him last night, so I'm still unsure if he will make the 38" mark.

I've taken all three of my nieces on my own to Disney World when they were younger, the youngest one was 4 the first time I took her. We always had a blast, but I'm also not a big fan of the roller coasters, so I didn't mind skipping them (except Everest, that's my fave!) It's a lot of fun, we took a ton of Photopass pictures and have so many memories of our trips, it's definitely worth it! Plan for afternoon pool breaks, earlier evenings and just live it up and have a great time!

I personally would not do this. Now, put down the pitch forks and let me explain. I think if my family went regularly I would, as going with a toddler is a lot of fun and 1 on 1 time rocks. I KNOW your trip would be a blast. But if money is an issue at all, I would rather save for longer and go as a family. Thats just me though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter