Would you? Solo parent with toddler trip...

Do it. Seriously, just do it. I have taken all of my children to Disneyland for solo trips and it's so nice to give them 1:1 time. I actually managed to take all 3 of my children when my oldest was only 7 alone because my husband got the flu the day we arrived for our trip. Even that was worth it and it was chaos. The only downside is that you'll have to skip things your 4 year old is too short for or too scared for. If you're okay with that, make the trip. It's so worth it.

I have, and liked it. But he was (and is) tall which opened many more rides to us, AND we had annual passes, so I wasn’t dealing with two day tickets.

Just a quick update! We did it. Toddler and I had a great time, we had 5 day hoppers and we turned those into annual passes by the end of the trip. Definitely a VERY different pace than I am used to, and we met Mickey EVERY DAY at least once and rode TSMM about 100 times, lol!
Toddler walked about 6-8 miles every day. We went into the parks for rope drop every morning and returned to the hotel for a break between 2-3 every day. We lucked out with a great spot for the electrical parade down by Small World about 15 minutes before the parade.

If you want to go, do it! I started taking my granddaughter when she was 2.5 years old. Several of our trips were just the two of us for all or some portion of the stay. My granddaughter got 100% of my attention on these trips and it was completely magical, whether she was big enough for all the rides or not. My very favorite memory is when we were taking a break in the shade behind Dumbo one day, and Peter Pan came running through. He started a game of chase with her, and other children joined in. She kept coming back and hiding behind me, and Peter Pan would run around shouting her name and asking everyone around "Has anyone seen Makenzey?" It was priceless. One time, she was dressed as the Cheshire Cat and the Hatter & Alice took her by the hands and walked her all around. They ended up at the wishing well where the Hatter asked her if she wanted to take a swim! We still take trips together; just her and I, one time we brought her best friend along, and sometimes the entire family comes. But those lazy days when she was so small, and we spent hours in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, or on Tom Sawyer Island, or meeting EVERY princess, or hearing her singing in her tiny voice on Small World... those are the most precious to me. Being alone in the parks with her, with my attention 100% on her, afforded me some memories I'm sure I would have missed if even one other person was along. We travel from northern California, so it's not an inexpensive trip - but so worth it.

I went with my four year old daughter in February and we had a blast. It was amazing having the one-on-one time. That was the trip she only wanted to do three things: BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, and the Tiki Room. And you know what? It was fun!

So glad you had a great time! I was at the parks today alone with my 4 year old (baby stayed home with the grandparents) and we had THE BEST day! Today just reaffirmed to me that I much prefer to go alone with my kid(s) than with anyone else along. It’s so fun to just do whatever we want!

It's all about what you prefer personally. I would absolutely hate going to Disneyland with a toddler. Then again, I dislike having to take care of children and thus why I don't have my own, but that's just me. I would want to go on all the thrill rides and without another person to pass the kid off to, then I don't think Disneyland would be fun for me. This is just my two cents as a person, though, and everyone is different. If you're fine with taking a kid around the park to see the attractions you two can enjoy together then by all means go. It might be fun.

It's all about what you prefer personally. I would absolutely hate going to Disneyland with a toddler. Then again, I dislike having to take care of children and thus why I don't have my own, but that's just me. I would want to go on all the thrill rides and without another person to pass the kid off to, then I don't think Disneyland would be fun for me. This is just my two cents as a person, though, and everyone is different. If you're fine with taking a kid around the park to see the attractions you two can enjoy together then by all means go. It might be fun.
Lol, to be fair I would not want to take *someone else’s toddler* to Disneyland. My own? Yes definitely! Toddlers are tough for sure, but I think it’s always different when it’s your own... you get joy from their joy, which makes up for missing the headliners. For me at least!

Lol, to be fair I would not want to take *someone else’s toddler* to Disneyland. My own? Yes definitely! Toddlers are tough for sure, but I think it’s always different when it’s your own... you get joy from their joy, which makes up for missing the headliners. For me at least!
I agree! You couldn't pay me to take someone else's toddler just about anywhere lol!

That's why I'm saying it's just my personality. I don't want kids, even if it was my own kid. I wouldn't want to take any kid--my own included, because I don't want kids--to a place where I'd have to focus mostly on them. I know how harsh this sounds and I'll get flack for it, but that's why I don't have kids. xD

That's why I'm saying it's just my personality. I don't want kids, even if it was my own kid. I wouldn't want to take any kid--my own included, because I don't want kids--to a place where I'd have to focus mostly on them. I know how harsh this sounds and I'll get flack for it, but that's why I don't have kids. xD
I don’t think it sounds harsh! Parenthood is not for everyone and there is no shame in not enjoying kids or wanting kids. To each their own I say! And Disneyland is for everyone... kids, adults, anyone who loves it!

I don’t think it sounds harsh! Parenthood is not for everyone and there is no shame in not enjoying kids or wanting kids. To each their own I say! And Disneyland is for everyone... kids, adults, anyone who loves it!
Thanks. I try not to share my personal preferences because it pisses a lot of people off. Kids are alright, but to have to take them to any place, even the freakin' park, is like a chore. I've got nieces and nephews (mostly who are older), but 2 who are younger and it's fun for an hour before it turns to a trip to the dentist to pull teeth without anesthetic. Then again, I've been to DL with adults and it can be a pain sometimes. I'm glad to see people enjoying the parks though when they do go, young or old.

Some of my best memories are when I took my 5 year old as a solo parent. He does not care for the parks as much as I do, but he absolutely loved Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club. We spent everyday at that pool and did the rides and shows that he likes. We also saved a bit because we would be able to share meals. I'm not a big eater so we had enough food if we split an adult meal. It was a great time for both of us, I have some amazing memories. I say do it!

So Southwest had a huge fare sale yesterday and I picked up cheap ($44 each way) tickets into SNA. However, my significant other can't go because of a work conference. So that would leave me heading to DL solo with a 4 year old.

Would you think it is worth is considering we would be buying 2 day tickets and the toddler is only 36 inches tall (so lots of rides that he can't yet get on). No opportunity for rider switch or for me to go on the big rides since there won't be another adult to watch him.

I'm so torn since I hear crowds are light and we haven't been since toddler turned 3 (and we had to start paying for him, lol)...

I mean why not? The only issue will be rides that the 4yo couldn't ride.. There are less rides that you can ride since they closed bugs land..but, in the end its up to you!

One of my best trips ever was taking my "then" 3 year old to Disney, just me and him. We did rides in Fantasy land, and did all the Character meet and greets, when they still signed autographs. As long as you are good with not riding all the rides, you will have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter