WWYD? Aulani reservation with points - Jan 2021

rchristiansen

DIS Veteran
We have a trip booked with DVC points Jan 5-11 and have purchased airfare. With the current Hawaii travel restrictions, I’m concerned of having this trip canceled. We already had to cancel 2 WDW trips this year. :(

At what point would you change your trip from Aulani and switch to a WDW vacation instead?
We could use our airfare credit without a change penalty. And currently there is dvc availability In January. We are flexible on dates.

I agree; I’d cancel now. We’re going to Ko Olina for our two weeks next year (we own every other odd year at the Marriott; once locked off and I did 4 weeks), but putting it off until October. I would be very, very unsure about January. We feel like fall might be a decent time to use our weeks.

32 days out so that your points can be returned to your account. This too far out to make this decision. But you have to do what's right for you before any cut-off dates.

Was just in this situation! We were scheduled to go to Aulani end of October. We had to make the call to cancel a couple weeks ago. Sadly, it was our second cancelled trip this year. Since we have so many points that we couldn't use this year we were able to make some lemonade and book a 2 bedroom to take my brother in law and his family for their first WDW trip over spring break next year!

I’d switch to WDW. It’ll make you feel so much better vs waiting and not knowing.

We have a trip booked with DVC points Jan 5-11 and have purchased airfare. With the current Hawaii travel restrictions, I’m concerned of having this trip canceled. We already had to cancel 2 WDW trips this year. :(

At what point would you change your trip from Aulani and switch to a WDW vacation instead?
We could use our airfare credit without a change penalty. And currently there is dvc availability In January. We are flexible on dates.
I would switch now. I doubt it will be open by January. Even if it is open, it will likely be prohibitively difficult to travel to and within Hawaii.

Personally, I would wait as long as possible until you'd incur a penalty or until you need to know for your own schedules.

Is it a possibility to re-schedule your Aulani trip to Spring or Summer instead? No telling when things will re-open there, but probably a better chance later on. As much as I love both Aulani and WDW, they are two very different types of vacations. Even WDW wouldn't make up missing Aulani for me!

So we are booked for the 5 - 12th of February and are monitoring the reopening. We do not have flights yet. I have checked WDW & not much for openings. Then with everything opening & increasing capacities in Florida, it scares us. So we are thinking to continue to watch & cancel on time to bank points if necessary. The timeline for banking is January 31. So that is what we are doing currently unless WDW is still doing well with covid & an opening pops up in our timeline closer to our date & Aulani not opening. It also depends on covid cases. It may blow wide open again this winter. It is already increasing. 😟. Really looking forward to an Aulani vacation, we just bought more points & decided Aulani for our 2 ND home resort.

So we are booked for the 5 - 12th of February and are monitoring the reopening. We do not have flights yet. I have checked WDW & not much for openings. Then with everything opening & increasing capacities in Florida, it scares us. So we are thinking to continue to watch & cancel on time to bank points if necessary. The timeline for banking is January 31. So that is what we are doing currently unless WDW is still doing well with covid & an opening pops up in our timeline closer to our date & Aulani not opening. It also depends on covid cases. It may blow wide open again this winter. It is already increasing. 😟. Really looking forward to an Aulani vacation, we just bought more points & decided Aulani for our 2 ND home resort.

that’s a good plan, but man a lot of stress between now and January 31st watching metrics :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!