(X) LC Monterey Cheese Crisps

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
These are GREAT for kids... and BIG kids, too. I didn't use the cayenne because we don't like HOT but if you do, have a ball!

The recipe says to cook for 10 mins, I found that they were about done in my oven in about 5. Check to see if they've browned sufficiently.

* Exported from MasterCook *

MONTEREY CHEESE CRISPS

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Bakery Chips-Crisps
Cheese Znew2001

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb Monterey jack cheese -- 500gr
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Cut cheese into 1/4 inch 6mm slices.

Place slices 3 inches 75mm apart on a non stick baking sheet.

Sprinkle with cayenne and garlic to taste.

Bake at 400°F-200°C for 10 minutes, until golden brown (THESE WILL SPREAD.) Watch closely.

Remove from pan and cool on paper towels. Stores well in airtight container.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 426 Calories; 34g Fat (72.8% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 609mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : The AUSSIE Low Carb Gourmet Tony Blakemore Jan. 2001
e-mail Tony@carb-lite.au.com
web site www.carb-lite.au.com
Over 5,000 Low Carb, LC Diabetic, LC Kosher Recipes

I did white cheddar crips last night. They had a very bitter taste to them. I think it is from my teflon pan. I'm wondering if they will not stick in my well seasoned iron skillet.

Hi,

I tried the receipe with mild cheddar cheese. The strips just melted and ran into each other.:(

Also, I don't have a teflon pan so I sprayed a stainless steel pan with vegetable spray. Could that be part of the problem?

I guess I'll have to go shopping tomorrow and get Monterey jack cheese.:)

ADisneyMom

tried it tonight in my iron frying pan. Mmmmm good.

ADisneyMom ... yes they will run out pretty thin. Just keep cooking until light brown. Mine tonight ran all together but it was still very good. I've actually seen instructions to cover the bottom of a small frying pan with grated cheese, and cook until brown to make a low carb taco shell

Thanks sha_lyn,

That sounds good, I will try that tomorrow.Yum!
:Pinkbounc

ADisneyMom

Hi,

I never used any spray on my pan for the crisps and they always just turn into round circles. Cheddar has ALOT more oil than monterrey so they have a tendency to become messy.

I changed my approach just a little with the recipe since I do like the taste of cheddar.

I used Monterey Jack and mild cheddar SHREDs, sprinkle with the garlic powder, set 6 mounds of that mixture on a baking sheet, bake on 400 for about 5 - 10 mins and they come out perfect!

You might like to try that. I just made 18 a few mins ago!

Robinrs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter