Yacht Club or Wilderness Lodge?

PlutoIsHerFav

Mouseketeer
Deciding on a June 5 night stay, 3 days at the park. We've stayed at YC before and loved it for Stormalong Bay and access to the Boardwalk. However, with two young kids the boat access to MK seems like a great perk. We'll likely do 2 days at MK, 1 at AK. Price is just about the same. Does the boat access or anything about WL make it worth it over YC?

With planning a pool day, we won't miss Stormalong Bay? or the access to amenities on the Boardwalk?

We may do three different parks, but not sure with the two littles (2 & 6) what makes most sense.

Pool at WL is nice. There is a splash pad for the kids. The DVC pool is zero entry. I prefer WL pool with mine (five year old twins) because it's not so spread out. It's easier to keep an eye on them at WL. The boardwalk access is nice, but from WL you have boat access to the monorail resorts, and boat to Fort Wilderness... lots to do!

The other option is AK Kidani Village. We've never stayed there. My fear is I've heard bad things about bus transportation (full bus/long waits) to the other parks. We just want the "easiest" for our young kids needing a midday nap...easy access to food...etc :-)

With little kids, I’d give the slight edge to WL. I think the theme is more appealing to little ones, and it also has a true QS restaurant (plus the easy transport to MK you mentioned). However, I really don’t think you can go wrong. Those are my 2 favorite resorts and I think you’ll be happy either way.

I would do WL since you have never stayed before. We love the boat to MK and the other resorts and the theming. Plus you get the electrical water pageant. WCC is one of our favorite breakfasts.

The boat trip from WL to MK is my least favorite. I swore I'd never use it again. It has always been the WORST service, every time we use it there is always some problem and it takes over an hour to get to MK, by then my blood pressure is boiling and I'm so angry. Last time, there were people on the wrong boat and they took them over to Fort Wilderness because they can't just get off at the dock and change to the internal boat on the right hand side and wait for the next boat. They did this without telling us, so we waiting 30 minutes on this boat and they took us away from our destination for another 30 minutes. They docked at Contemporary as well and then we finally went to MK. If they told us, we could have opted to stay on the dock and wait for the next REAL boat going to MK.

I'd never recommend using the boat service from WL again. If you stay at WL, take the bus instead. That fiasco ate up almost 2 hours of our EMH.

WL, easily. This is actually where we're taking our own kids next. Pool is great, btw.

Last edited:
We love both the Wilderness Lodge and the Beach Club/Yacht Club. But if you aren't planning to go to Epcot or DHS then I would definitely stay at the WL. The resort is nice and compact and the boat to MK is great. The WL has a wonderful splash pad that your kids will love. It is for young children. The new villas pool is a zero entry pool. The main pool has a fun slide. But either resort is a great choice. :)

If you're going to be spending more time at MK, I would go with WL, just for the ease of getting back and forth.

The boat trip from WL to MK is my least favorite. I swore I'd never use it again. It has always been the WORST service, every time we use it there is always some problem and it takes over an hour to get to MK, by then my blood pressure is boiling and I'm so angry. Last time, there were people on the wrong boat and they took them over to Fort Wilderness because they can't just get off at the dock and change to the internal boat on the right hand side and wait for the next boat. They did this without telling us, so we waiting 30 minutes on this boat and they took us away from our destination for another 30 minutes. They docked at Contemporary as well and then we finally went to MK. If they told us, we could have opted to stay on the dock and wait for the next REAL boat going to MK.

I'd never recommend using the boat service from WL again. If you stay at WL, take the bus instead. That fiasco ate up almost 2 hours of our EMH.

That is the complete opposite of my experience. The boat was always quick and relaxing. I even made it back to WL at 9:31 after being in the insanely crowded MK for the last showing of Wisbes last May.

My vote is for WL as well and I like to boat ride to MK. Your little ones will probably look at it like another ride (just easier to get one). If you choose WL remember a meal at Whispering Canyon is a must.

Thank you all! Seems like WL is a favorite!

Quick question - if we stayed at YC and walked to Epcot, could we take the monorail to MK (without admission for the day to Epcot)? My husband really wants to do a third park and not a second day at MK, so we may look at Epcot or HS.

Another option is POR in a Royal room. Our oldest daughter would love this! We'd also save about $500 over the course of 5 nights, which is great. My fear, though, is how spread out it is and all the walking in the HEAT!

Quick question - if we stayed at YC and walked to Epcot, could we take the monorail to MK (without admission for the day to Epcot)? My husband really wants to do a third park and not a second day at MK, so we may look at Epcot or HS.

Another option is POR in a Royal room. Our oldest daughter would love this! We'd also save about $500 over the course of 5 nights, which is great. My fear, though, is how spread out it is and all the walking in the HEAT!

Without a park hopper, you'd have to take transportation to the Epcot front gate and take the monorail from there (after paying for parking). Port Orleans is often the only moderate which garners as much acclaim as many deluxe resorts. It would also be an excellent option, IMO.

You couldn't take the monorail from the YC without a ticket for Epcot. But you could take the monorail to Epcot without using two park tickets if you stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. There is a resort boat that travels between the Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness and the Contemporary. Just take the boat to the Contemporary and then the monorail to the TTC, then the Epcot monorail. It takes more time to do it that way then to take the park bus, but it is a way to go on the monorail to Epcot. :)

The POR Royal rooms are near the East bus depot which is very convenient. They are also close to a bridge that takes you near to the lobby.

I totally agree with your husband. 5 nights/6 days and only 2 parks? No way I would do that. I think you are overthinking it and worrying too much. I would definitely add another Park day

Thanks again everyone! We’ve decided on WL! Seems to be a popular choice - excited to stay somewhere new!

With kids 2 & 6, we’ll do MK & AK for sure. Would you all recommend Epcot or HS as the third resort, or a second day at MK? We did do MK in November- never have done the other resorts with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter