YAWN........eclipse

We are in South Florida, didn't really get dark, but there was a color change almost a gray tone.
My grandson was fascinated by it, made it 1000% worth it. He was chatting non-stop. Thankfully my husband had glasses at work and ran them home last minute.

We got about 89%, (Victoria BC) and the sun felt less intense than it should for a clear sunny day. We had one pair that we were gifted from a friend that ordered them online. We checked to make sure they were good ones. I wish I had thought about it when we were in Portland in July. They had the glasses everywhere for a couple of dollars each. Anyways DD8 enjoyed using them and was kind enough to share with her cousins so the kids took turns sharing the glasses and watching for a few minutes and seeing the moon path across the sun.

OK when I saw YAWN, I thought "YEAH!! someone else who could really careless" Didn't even look up, just another day. Now if a meteor was hitting the earth I would care.

100% totality where I was for about 40 seconds. Not my original plan to see it in Blue Ridge GA, but happy I saw it there anyway. The air significantly cooled and it was like a sudden sunset, then gradual sunrise. Birds were twittering like it was morning again. Before the partial phase began, it was very hot, sunny and bright, and then it got darker and cooler, then during totality it was like dusk and the street lights automatically turned on. It really was a neat experience.

But I think one of the best parts was seeing how excited everybody in that town was and hearing them set off a few fireworks after the totality had passed.

Drove four hours to Casper to watch the total event. I hate long distance driving but this was worth every minute of it.

I saw a partial about five years back and the two types are completely different in terms of spetacularness. Do not use a partial as a base for how good a total can be. For the total package far exceeds it.

This wasn't the first time I was promised something awesome and it ended up lasting less than two minutes. ;)

About 80% around here. Someone at work brought in a welder's mask and we passed it around. It was OK, but not really any big deal. No noticeable difference in the amount of light.

I suppose one needs to be in the 99%+ range for an awesome experience.

95% zone here.
It got gray for awhile, almost like some rain was coming.
Honestly, it was a huge letdown in my part of the world.

I just picked up my kid from the first day of school. Every kid got eclipse glasses. They were the generic ones from American Paper Optics with a flag and eagle motif and "ECLIPSE AMERICA - AUGUST 21, 2017" on the temples. They looked silver on the outer side. $1.98 was printed on the inside.

There just were too many clouds to make out the sun in our area during the actual eclipse, but it was more a hazy overcast when I got there. The one my kid got lets in more light than the one I got made by Rainbow Symphony.

I suppose one needs to be in the 99%+ range for an awesome experience.

Anything less than 100% is not much more than a passing cloud. Nowhere close at all.

Bonnie Tyler was on a cruise ship party and I felt bad for her. First, she seemed to be half in the bag. She just kept waving her arms singing "turn around, turn around" and nobody was paying attention to her.

We wer at a bit over 90% here and it looked like nothing was happening. Seriously. Sunny, bright and tons of shadows. The light ws a little "off". Looked almost as if it was a hazy. Total meh.

We went out every 15 minutes to watch the moon go in front of the sun. I still think it was cool.....and we were only at 63%.
Very bright here, but at the most coverage, very much darker. Could really tell the difference
I've seen several eclipses....never a total. I do remember making a viewer when in elementary school

Without 100% coverage there's no visible corona and no "diamond ring" effect.

maxresdefault.jpg

Even 99% would have been a completely different experience than 100%.
My daughter says we were at 99.9% and it was pretty spectacular. She came home after school quite excited about the whole experience. I know I thought it was pretty darn cool. I'm really glad she got to experience it at school with a large group of friends.

100% totality here in coastal South Carolina. We watched on the beach with friends. The diamond ring effect was breathtaking, and then to see what looked like sunrise on the horizon over the ocean while all around it was dark -- no words. When we took our glasses off during totality, everyone was just overwhelmed. It was quite spectacular!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter