YAWN........eclipse

There will be a total solar eclipse in 2024, from Texas up through New York and into Canada. Carbondale, IL will be in the path of 100% totality again and I'm hoping to make it there.

Here are some of the best "viewing cities":

• Austin, Texas
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
  • Carbondale, Illinois
  • Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Toledo, Ohio
  • Cleveland, Ohio
  • Akron, Ohio
  • Buffalo, New York
  • Rochester, New York
  • Montpelier, Vermont
  • Montreal, Quebec

We had 87% in our area but the clouds blocked it anyway. It gets darker during a storm...View attachment 263620
We got a little over 80% here, which looked a lot like your pictures. It was a beautiful, clear day and I thought it was awesome! We watched it through #12 welder's glass. :sunny:

Last edited:

We had 98% but we had high thin clouds. It didn't really get dark. I watched it on TV. My 11yo DNiece came home complaining what a waste it was. When she went to Girl Scouts this evening the other girls said the same thing. They were expecting total darkness. A lot of schools went outside to watch it as glasses were donated for all staff and students in the district. Parents had to sign permission slips for kids to watch.

There will be a total solar eclipse in 2024, from Texas up through New York and into Canada. Carbondale, IL will be in the path of 100% totality again and I'm hoping to make it there.

• Austin, Texas
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
  • Carbondale, Illinois
  • Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Toledo, Ohio
  • Cleveland, Ohio
  • Akron, Ohio
  • Buffalo, New York
  • Rochester, New York
  • Montpelier, Vermont
  • Montreal, Quebec

Unfortunately, I'll probably still be stuck living here in Texas in 2024, so I guess that is one teeny positive to look forward to.

• Austin, Texas
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
  • Carbondale, Illinois
  • Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Toledo, Ohio
  • Cleveland, Ohio
  • Akron, Ohio
  • Buffalo, New York
  • Rochester, New York
  • Montpelier, Vermont
  • Montreal, Quebec

Yep.....I had looked it up and it is on DH's 70th birthday......party time!! we will be partial again, but I think they are still fun :sunny:

I live near Syracuse, NY... anyone who's expecting clear skies on April 8th, 2024... let's just say, don't go out of your way to travel to the east/southeast of Lake Ontario. It doesn't reliably stop producing lake-effect clouds until later in the month.

We had about 92% here.

And I have to say, I love math and science.

It was incredible to watch. It was clear, albeit hot. And we had a perfect view right from our front yard.

And in 7 years, we plan to travel to totality. We have family and friends in multiple cities.

There are a million eclipse stories on the internet, but I haven't seen any about the predicted gas shortages, 20 mile long traffic jams, people parking on the interstate, fistfights at Walmart over the last case of bottled water, etc.

Just a few instances of supposed price gouging at hotels. Some place in Tennessee that usually goes for $109 per night jacked the rates up to over $500 for Sunday and Monday nights.

There are a million eclipse stories on the internet, but I haven't seen any about the predicted gas shortages, 20 mile long traffic jams, people parking on the interstate, fistfights at Walmart over the last case of bottled water, etc.

Just a few instances of supposed price gouging at hotels. Some place in Tennessee that usually goes for $109 per night jacked the rates up to over $500 for Sunday and Monday nights.

There were shortages of gas in Oregon, 12 mile long traffic jams days before. And the whole thing about parking on the freeway did happen. This is from the California Highway Patrol Contra Costa Division Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/320PIO/status/899701717868060672

DHxh8TYVoAM2FDn.jpg

Where I was the cloud layer wasn't even patchy like this photo. I didn't even bother. It was just solid clouds closer to San Francisco Bay.

Unfortunately, I'll probably still be stuck living here in Texas in 2024, so I guess that is one teeny positive to look forward to.
You must be my long lost twin! I'm stuck somewhere along the 2017 path. It was wonderful, during the eclipse!

As for traffic, well, first of all, I could have looked from my front yard. I ended up driving 3 miles via back roads (the benefit of being "a local") to watch with extended family. So I have no idea how much traffic, if any, there was on the nearby numbered highway. I picked up my glasses early, when some local shopkeepers seemed surprised and confused as to why I would think anyone might carry them. Wal-mart did have a cardboard display rack full of them, but apparently I was a few hours too late for theirs, as when I got to the garden department checkout (where the glasses had been) the display was in a shopping cart and they were hoping to get more. Sonic was the smart retailer that sold a special concoction with glasses, or glasses separately so one pair came from them. I also picked up the "last two" from the visitors' center (sorry, visitors, but someone else would have gotten them a few weeks before you arrived.) And one of the local libraries had some available for anyone who signed up for the summer reading program. The other library held theirs back until eclipse day. And there were glasses available at most of the more "official" events that drew the crowds.

So, my recommendation for the next one, if you're in the path, is to get your glasses a month in advance, plan a place to be, take the back roads if you need to drive at all, and you can have a lovely, uncrowded day.

Or join in the madness just for fun, leave very early to account for potential traffic jams, and go to one of big gatherings. My DD did just that with some friends. She had a great day, too!

But definitely see it. I had relatives that originally planned to skip it and joined the rest of us watching. All of us enjoyed it immensely, & several of us were ready to do it again today.

I posted this in Rastahomie's "Missouri Eclipse" thread, but I'll post it here too! We LOVED the eclipse & are already planning to make the trip for the next one in 7 years!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Eclipse Report from TENNESSEE!!

We left our house at 4:30 am (!!!) & drove an hour north to a little city in the center of totality. There was NO traffic whatsoever!

We had an EXCELLENT parking spot within walking distance to one of the viewing locations. This particular location was in a park where several vendors were set up. They also had live music & activities for kids & an open splash pad.

[WARNING! Longish, funny story ahead...]

By 7:00 am-ish, the parking lot where we were was full, &, after trying & failing to take naps in our van, we schlepped all our stuff (2 rolling coolers, 1 cooler bag, 1 "supplies" bag, 1 picnic basket, 1 canopy tent, 5 chairs, 1 blanket, & 4 "activity" bags) - and our dog - the 2 blocks down the street to the park.

(Sidenote #1 - We had contemplated leaving our dog at home, but we knew we'd be gone too long.)

Aaaand, at the entrance, a police officer told us we couldn't bring in our dog (even on a leash) unless he was a service dog. And, y'all, I was *thisclose* to telling him I had anxiety & our dog was a therapy dog. LOL! I had checked & double-checked, & no where on the town's Facebook page specific to the Solar Eclipse was anything about whether or not dogs were permitted. The Facebook page listed all the different viewing locations that the town had set up & the various parking areas w/ shuttles running back & forth. Anyway, I was pretty upset because I figured, since our current parking lot was full, all the other parking lots would also be full by that time.

There were 2 different police officers, &, to their credit, they were doing a good job. Their town is very small w/ a population of about 6,000, & they were expecting tens of thousands of people for the eclipse. They had a map, &, at first, they told us we could stay parked where we were & be shuttled in to the dog friendly park. However, when I asked him if our dog could go on the shuttle, they didn't know. Plus, I wasn't sure how we were supposed to get all our STUFF onto a shuttle.

The dog friendly park wasn't really within walking distance of where we were, but one of the officers suggested I go stand in our current parking spot while my husband & the kids (& dog) drove to another parking location to be sure there was a parking spot for us & so we wouldn't lose our one parking spot we already had. His idea was for DH to then park in the new location - if a spot was available - & then call me & I'd walk to the new location. I'm directionally-challenged, but I was all, "oookay" & thinking, surely, in a small town, I'd eventually find wherever DH & the kids (& the dog) ended up.

However, the other officer kinda laughed at his partner's suggestion & then said he'd drive to the other parking location & then come back to where we were to let us know if parking was available. And that's what he did. He made it back to us before we had even had time to walk back to our van & assured us there were of plenty of parking left in a field that was within walking distance to the dog friendly park.

Again, the police officers were very kind & trying as hard as they could to be as helpful as they could, & DH & I both thanked them & told them how much we appreciated their help.

(Sidenote #2 - We were not the only ones w/ dogs trying to get into this park. And, I've since gone back & looked through all the various posts on the city's eclipse-specific Facebook page, & I still don't see anything about which viewing locations are dog-friendly. And there wasn't a a sign at the entrance to the park where people were being let in. DH & I are thinking that this specific park is never dog friendly & that "no dogs" is just one of the park's rules, & the city didn't think to include it w/ their eclipse information. We weren't upset & completely understand different rules, but knowing ahead of time would have been nice...)

[END of LONG STORY]

The field where we ended up was perfectly fine. When we arrived, there was still PLENTY of space, & several of the people that were already there were just setting up their "areas" in the field. And we did the same - we parked next to the woods which gave us shade well into the day. Also, by not having to set up away from our mini-van, we were able to put the back up & have extended "living space". LOL! We were fine & ended up being completely happy in our parking field.

To our left were cars from Pennsylvania & Michigan, & to our right were cars from Florida & Georgia. There was an RV from Minnesota & a pro photographer from Maryland that had a complete base camp set up. We also saw cars from Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, California, Rhode Island, & Ontario.

I loved how everyone from all over came to see the eclipse - it felt like "community". Lots of people who had extra eclipse glasses were offering their extra pairs to everyone, making sure everyone had glasses. All day long, the city had volunteers driving on 3-wheelers & golf carts through each of the different parking & viewing locations. The volunteer would stop at each car & ask if everyone was doing okay, if we needed anything, & if we needed any water. (This little city of 6,000 people was distributing free water to THOUSANDS of visitors.) Main Street was in full Eclipse-Festival mode w/ t-shirts & crafts & snack vendors. Just a really fun small-town atmosphere!

In addition to our breakfast & lunch picnic food, I had brought "eclipse-themed" snacks - Moon Pies, Sun Drops, Sunkists, Milkyways, & Sun Chips! A local bakery made eclipse-themed sugar cookies, so we also had a dozen eclipse cookies which we shared w/ the family from Georgia.

The 2 men next to us from Pennsylvania were friendly & chatty. One of the men was an entomologist & told us all about the different cicada broods. We were wearing Moon Pie Eclipse t-shirts, & they wanted to know where we got our shirts & told us they couldn't get real Moon Pies in PA. So we gave them 2 of our "real" Tennessee Moon Pies.

We had also brought books & games to keep us occupied, & we made a couple of eclipse-themed crafts.

While the day started out reasonable temperature-wise, it soon got very HOT. I think the high was 96 w/ tons of humidity. But, we had perfect viewing weather w/ no clouds to obscure the eclipse.

And the ECLIPSE!! Nothing compared to the eclipse itself! The eclipse was so cool & so awesome!!

And 2 minutes & 34 seconds of totality was amazing!!!! It got cooler, the stars came out, & all the crickets started singing. I'm so glad we made the decision to be in the center of totality because it was beyond worth it!

And, even before totality, the way the light changed... it was like you were looking through a filter!

I did discover that I am NOT a good eclipse photographer, &, in my amazement & just sheer joy in the moment, I forgot to look for the shadow snakes.

But I did see the diamond ring, & it was spectacular & beautiful & just beyond anything you can comprehend until you see it.

Hearing all the "oohs" & "aahs", the delighted laughter, & even applause echo from all around the field was so neat, & I'm very glad we were there. There were even some fireworks afterward.

I'm so grateful that our family (along w/ our dog) was able to experience the eclipse together!!

Oh, &, while we experienced no traffic or congestion driving to the eclipse, the way home from the eclipse was completely different. Our hour drive took us 3 hours... traffic was horrible coming back! LOL!

But, again, those 2 & 1/2 minutes were incredible!!

Last edited:
In the middle of the path of totality with clear skies. The most amazing sight I have ever seen!

A scientist explained that at 99% totality it is still 10,000 times brighter than night time. Many not in the path of totality were disappointed that it did not get dark.

We had 95% here and it rained just for the duration of the eclipse but even cloudy it did get darker; like twilight. My boss drove 2 hours down the road to be in totality. It took him 5.5 hours to get home!

• Austin, Texas
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
  • Carbondale, Illinois
  • Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Toledo, Ohio
  • Cleveland, Ohio
  • Akron, Ohio
  • Buffalo, New York
  • Rochester, New York
  • Montpelier, Vermont
  • Montreal, Quebec
Assuming we still live in OH at that time, I will feel #blessed to not spend 16 hours in a car EVER again. Worth it, but still crazy. Next time I would definitely plan better-it was so tough to commit to such a weather contigent event though. Who knows what the environment will even be in seven years. I wanted to hear the wildlife....& now I'm thinking about people & getting depressed.

Were you in Sweetwater? DH and I drove from Buffalo, NY to Sweetwater Tennessee (10 hours) to see the total eclipse. As others have said, it's 100% or nothing. While all the way up to 99.9% was cool, 100% was spectacular, awe-inspiring, a celestial experience. We will travel for the 2024 one even though Buffalo is in the path of totality. Cloud cover in April will ruin it.

These pics were taken two minutes apart.
photo.php
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155618275469304&set=pcb.10155618275844304&type=3&theater
photo.php

I posted this in Rastahomie's "Missouri Eclipse" thread, but I'll post it here too! We LOVED the eclipse & are already planning to make the trip for the next one in 7 years!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Eclipse Report from TENNESSEE!!

We left our house at 4:30 am (!!!) & drove an hour north to a little city in the center of totality. There was NO traffic whatsoever!

We had an EXCELLENT parking spot within walking distance to one of the viewing locations. This particular location was in a park where several vendors were set up. They also had live music & activities for kids & an open splash pad.

[WARNING! Longish, funny story ahead...]

By 7:00 am-ish, the parking lot where we were was full, &, after trying & failing to take naps in our van, we schlepped all our stuff (2 rolling coolers, 1 cooler bag, 1 "supplies" bag, 1 picnic basket, 1 canopy tent, 5 chairs, 1 blanket, & 4 "activity" bags) - and our dog - the 2 blocks down the street to the park.

(Sidenote #1 - We had contemplated leaving our dog at home, but we knew we'd be gone too long.)

Aaaand, at the entrance, a police officer told us we couldn't bring in our dog (even on a leash) unless he was a service dog. And, y'all, I was *thisclose* to telling him I had anxiety & our dog was a therapy dog. LOL! I had checked & double-checked, & no where on the town's Facebook page specific to the Solar Eclipse was anything about whether or not dogs were permitted. The Facebook page listed all the different viewing locations that the town had set up & the various parking areas w/ shuttles running back & forth. Anyway, I was pretty upset because I figured, since our current parking lot was full, all the other parking lots would also be full by that time.

There were 2 different police officers, &, to their credit, they were doing a good job. Their town is very small w/ a population of about 6,000, & they were expecting tens of thousands of people for the eclipse. They had a map, &, at first, they told us we could stay parked where we were & be shuttled in to the dog friendly park. However, when I asked him if our dog could go on the shuttle, they didn't know. Plus, I wasn't sure how we were supposed to get all our STUFF onto a shuttle.

The dog friendly park wasn't really within walking distance of where we were, but one of the officers suggested I go stand in our current parking spot while my husband & the kids (& dog) drove to another parking location to be sure there was a parking spot for us & so we wouldn't lose our one parking spot we already had. His idea was for DH to then park in the new location - if a spot was available - & then call me & I'd walk to the new location. I'm directionally-challenged, but I was all, "oookay" & thinking, surely, in a small town, I'd eventually find wherever DH & the kids (& the dog) ended up.

However, the other officer kinda laughed at his partner's suggestion & then said he'd drive to the other parking location & then come back to where we were to let us know if parking was available. And that's what he did. He made it back to us before we had even had time to walk back to our van & assured us there were of plenty of parking left in a field that was within walking distance to the dog friendly park.

Again, the police officers were very kind & trying as hard as they could to be as helpful as they could, & DH & I both thanked them & told them how much we appreciated their help.

(Sidenote #2 - We were not the only ones w/ dogs trying to get into this park. And, I've since gone back & looked through all the various posts on the city's eclipse-specific Facebook page, & I still don't see anything about which viewing locations are dog-friendly. And there wasn't a a sign at the entrance to the park where people were being let in. DH & I are thinking that this specific park is never dog friendly & that "no dogs" is just one of the park's rules, & the city didn't think to include it w/ their eclipse information. We weren't upset & completely understand different rules, but knowing ahead of time would have been nice...)

[END of LONG STORY]

The field where we ended up was perfectly fine. When we arrived, there was still PLENTY of space, & several of the people that were already there were just setting up their "areas" in the field. And we did the same - we parked next to the woods which gave us shade well into the day. Also, by not having to set up away from our mini-van, we were able to put the back up & have extended "living space". LOL! We were fine & ended up being completely happy in our parking field.

To our left were cars from Pennsylvania & Michigan, & to our right were cars from Florida & Georgia. There was an RV from Minnesota & a pro photographer from Maryland that had a complete base camp set up. We also saw cars from Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, California, Rhode Island, & Ontario.

I loved how everyone from all over came to see the eclipse - it felt like "community". Lots of people who had extra eclipse glasses were offering their extra pairs to everyone, making sure everyone had glasses. All day long, the city had volunteers driving on 3-wheelers & golf carts through each of the different parking & viewing locations. The volunteer would stop at each car & ask if everyone was doing okay, if we needed anything, & if we needed any water. (This little city of 6,000 people was distributing free water to THOUSANDS of visitors.) Main Street was in full Eclipse-Festival mode w/ t-shirts & crafts & snack vendors. Just a really fun small-town atmosphere!

In addition to our breakfast & lunch picnic food, I had brought "eclipse-themed" snacks - Moon Pies, Sun Drops, Sunkists, Milkyways, & Sun Chips! A local bakery made eclipse-themed sugar cookies, so we also had a dozen eclipse cookies which we shared w/ the family from Georgia.

The 2 men next to us from Pennsylvania were friendly & chatty. One of the men was an entomologist & told us all about the different cicada broods. We were wearing Moon Pie Eclipse t-shirts, & they wanted to know where we got our shirts & told us they couldn't get real Moon Pies in PA. So we gave them 2 of our "real" Tennessee Moon Pies.

We had also brought books & games to keep us occupied, & we made a couple of eclipse-themed crafts.

While the day started out reasonable temperature-wise, it soon got very HOT. I think the high was 96 w/ tons of humidity. But, we had perfect viewing weather w/ no clouds to obscure the eclipse.

And the ECLIPSE!! Nothing compared to the eclipse itself! The eclipse was so cool & so awesome!!

And 2 minutes & 34 seconds of totality was amazing!!!! It got cooler, the stars came out, & all the crickets started singing. I'm so glad we made the decision to be in the center of totality because it was beyond worth it!

And, even before totality, the way the light changed... it was like you were looking through a filter!

I did discover that I am NOT a good eclipse photographer, &, in my amazement & just sheer joy in the moment, I forgot to look for the shadow snakes.

But I did see the diamond ring, & it was spectacular & beautiful & just beyond anything you can comprehend until you see it.

Hearing all the "oohs" & "aahs", the delighted laughter, & even applause echo from all around the field was so neat, & I'm very glad we were there. There were even some fireworks afterward.

I'm so grateful that our family (along w/ our dog) was able to experience the eclipse together!!

Oh, &, while we experienced no traffic or congestion driving to the eclipse, the way home from the eclipse was completely different. Our hour drive took us 3 hours... traffic was horrible coming back! LOL!

But, again, those 2 & 1/2 minutes were incredible!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter