YAY! I got the reservation I wanted at VGC at the 7 month window!

funatdisney

DIS Veteran
The goal: book a one bedroom at the VGC for Oct 15 (Monday) to Oct 17 (Wednesday) using my SSR points.

I own points at VGC but I wanted to use my SSR points for this booking. For insurance, I booked these dates using my VGC points and planned on canceling the reservation if I got the reservation with the SSR points.

I did some reading here and got some great tips. Most of the threads I read focused on WDW DVC resorts. I thought VGC might be harder to book since it has a much smaller room inventory than other DVC resorts, although Oct is tough for both coasts. So I decided to check room availability on March 3rd for Oct 3. Oct 3 was booked but so was the 4th. Oct 5 was still available. That meant I would have to wait til the 5th to check for availability. So when checking on March 5th, Oct 5th and 6th were booked and the 7th was available. So I checked on March 7 for availability for Oct 7. Again, two days booked, the third day was available. This kept on happening for the next week.

I am aware of booking so many number of days ahead from the first day of booking (not sure how many days though). But this pattern was consistent. Two days booked; the third day available. I began to realize, I might have book Oct 14 to Oct 17 for me to get the 15th to the 17th. Lucky for me I had enough SSR points to do this.

Sure enough, when I checked on March 12th, Oct 12 and 13 were booked. The 14th was available. So I got up at 4:30 am on this morning (to be sure I was AWAKE at 5 am) and was able to book a one bedroom at the VGC for Oct 14 to Oct 17. By the time I was done with my reservation (5:02 am), a one bedroom on Oct 15th was unavailable! Within 7 minutes, the 14th became unavailable. I may or may not drop the 14th. I worked hard for that date! Anyway, someone’s WL will come through if I do.

This was a very important strategy I plan to use quite a bit since the next few years we are planning on vacationing at VGC. Got to use my SSR points somehow!

I’m hoping to use my PVB points at VGC next June and might need to read this when I’m not drowsy on cold meds. Currently I’m not following

But yay for VGC!

I’m hoping to use my PVB points at VGC next June and might need to read this when I’m not drowsy on cold meds. Currently I’m not following

But yay for VGC!

I got you. It was a very hard thing to explain. I am operating on adjusting to the time change last Sunday (where I lost an hour sleep) AND having to get up at 4:30 am. All I can suggest is try it yourself. Check the availability on the website as if you wanted an Oct booking for the next few days. That is when you are not on cold meds and have a clearer head ;)

we had great luck in october for a one bedroom at VGC. we wanted a studio but they were full. The 1 bedroom ended up being one of our favorite DVC rooms out of all resorts.

Congratulations! I waitlisted for a studio for October 14 to 19 yesterday morning. 2 of the 5 nights were soldout. I was considering a 1 bedroom but since I will be staying by myself, spending 195 points didn't make sense (studio is 100). Booked a cash room at Paradise Pier, where my friend and her son are staying.

Last edited:

But yay for VGC!

It’s sort of the same premise as walking a reservation, although not quite as intense as that.

Basically, OP wanted a reservation on 10/15-10/17. Problem is VGC books very quickly. However, OP was able to book 10/14-10/17, with the intention (at least initially) of modifying the reservation to 10/15-10/17 some time down the road.

It’s sort of the same premise as walking a reservation, although not quite as intense as that.

Basically, OP wanted a reservation on 10/15-10/17. Problem is VGC books very quickly. However, OP was able to book 10/14-10/17, with the intention (at least initially) of modifying the reservation to 10/15-10/17 some time down the road.

Yay! Someone understands! Thanks for clarifying for me, Disney Dad ADL.

I guess my point is this: just assuming you can wake up early and get the days you planned at the 7 month window may be quite a different experience at VGC than other DVC properties. Oct is in very high demand with some school districts taking a week off for a fall break in Oct (both within California and the neighboring states) and the Mickey's Halloween Party event scheduled during Oct. With low inventory at VGC, it can be quite difficult it get the dates and room you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts