YC/BC Counter Service with Food Allergies

clanmcculloch

DIS Veteran
I just got an opportunity to upgrade my family to the Yacht Club for the second half of our December vacation. :banana: I'm nervous though because I know they don't have a food court. Every other resort we've stayed at has a food court and makes CS meals at the time they're ordered. Because of this I know that they can all accomodate food allergies. Well, as far as I know, BC/YC only have CS locations that are pretty much all premade meals and mostly sandwiches. WDW doesn't carry any bread that my daughter can eat (they have GFCF, but not also YFEF) so she can't eat sandwiches even if we special order them. Does anybody have any experience at BC/YC with food allergies?

Obviously if I book I'll contact Brenda and get the full scoop on what I need to do, but I'm hoping somebody here has stayed there and has some experience.

While I'm asking, since YC is so close to the Boardwalk and Swolphin, any experiences at their CS locations?

Normally we buy a dining plan but with this particular YC deal I can't because of the details of the deal so we'll be doing CS meals and packed breakfasts in the room to save a bit of time and money (other than maybe a Candlelight Processional lunch so we can avoid the worst of the lines for our Aspie DD).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

One thing to remember is that if you have PH tickets that it is not that far to go to Epcot (10-15 minutes) and use someplace like sunshine which has a wide variety and food special needs capabilities

bookwormde

One thing to remember is that if you have PH tickets that it is not that far to go to Epcot (10-15 minutes) and use someplace like sunshine which has a wide variety and food special needs capabilities

bookwormde

Thank you for excellent advice. I do figure we'll probably upgrade to hoppers if we end up staying at YC (we won't if we stick only with POFQ) so likely we'll do several meals at Sunshine Seasons. My concern is that my autistic daughter really needs a chunk of time back at the resort every day and in the past we've typically eaten at the resort during that break. Having to go elsewhere for some of that time takes away from the ability to decompress. On days where we'll head back to Epcot anyway, Sunshine Seasons certainly will work well. It's those other days that are difficult and have me concerned.

Does anybody know if Beaches & Cream carries Tofutti ice cream?

I did email Brenda so I'll let everybody know what she has to say. I'm still hoping for some personal experiences because the info for resorts from Brenda in the past has been much thinner than the info about the parks.

Sorry, I do not know the specifics of the ice cream but there are several other parents who have done WDW with the dietary limitations that you speak of so hopefully one of them will chime in.

I am in a different world my ds10 has a typical aspie diet along with the fact that he has chosen to be a vegetarian (who eats almost no vegetables) for moral reasons on top of that. It was one of the deciding factors for joining DVC, so we would have a full kitchen and not have to go out during our mid day decompression time to eat (or a lot of other times) especially with the difficulty of his limited diet. Not much help this trip but something to consider if you are making regular trips to WDW

bookwormde

I just heard from one of the chefs at the Yacht Club to discuss food options for our allergies. I thought everybody might like to hear what I found out.

• Beaches & Cream no longer serves breakfast. They do have Tofutti ice cream in chocolate and vanilla, as do all of the restaurants at BC/YC. The sit down restaurants also have allergy safe sprinkles.
  • They can make breakfast muffins that are safe for our huge list of allergies with advanced notice (let him know well before we travel so he can make sure to have the ingredients).
  • Counter service options are very limited. B&C can make a few grilled items, but highly recommends the Captain’s Grille.
  • Silk is available for purchase at the Marketplace, but most likely just the single serving containers.
  • Captain’s Grille serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. They can make meals to go or even room service delivery. All room service meals are made in the Captain's Grille kitchen. To go meals are at the regular menu prices.
  • CG does have Bob’s Red Mill mixes and a dedicated Mickey waffle iron so allergy free pancakes and waffles are definitely doable.
  • CG can make allergy safe mac & cheese as well as chicken nuggets/fingers. It's good to order ahead and provide a pickup time if wanting them to go but they can do it at time of order (I love the option of pre-ordering).
  • CG does fries in a dedicated gluten free fryer. French fries are safe.

I've definitely got some thinking to do. I need to make up my mind tonight if I'm going to book at Yacht Club since my ADR window opens Friday morning and they'll be different if I end up with a split stay at YC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter