• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yeast Rolls !

bethie

DIS Veteran
Hi guys!

I am looking for a recipe that would make a yeast roll smilar to what we used to get in school. Remember those-mmmmmmmmmmmmm? I would trade everything off my tray for one. LOL
I would love to be able to duplicate them. Anybody have a recipe??

Thanks!

Beth

Well, I didn't go to your school, but these are very basic, very yummy yeast rolls. You can shape them any way you want, of course, but DH and I like the flavor and texture best when you do them like I've written in the recipe.

Traditional Role Dough
From Betty Crocker's Cookbook

3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening, butter, or margarine, softened
1 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
1/2 cup very warm (120-130) water
1/2 cup very warm milk
1 egg
Margarine or butter, softened

Mix 2 cups flour, and everything up to yeast in medium bowl. Add water, milk, and egg. Beat on low 1 minute, scraping frequently. Beet on medium 1 minute, scraping frequently. Stir in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn onto floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in grease bowl and turn over. Cover and let rise 1 hour.

Punch down. Divide in half. Divide each half into 24 balls, place together in greased 9" round pan. Brush with margarine. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes or until double.

Heat oven to 400. Bake 12 to 18 min or until golden brown.

Hey thanks!

I kinda figured that most schools, public ones anyway, had similar cooking styles and recipes. I swear our rolls would melt in your mouth. I have recently been going overboard on baking and really want to give these a try. Thanks so much ! Have a great day.

I am not sure if this what most schools served but in this area we always called them:

Angel Biscuits

1pkg dry yeast
2 T. warm water
5 cups all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T. sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add buttermilk, mixing well.
Add yeast mixture; mix until dough forms a ball.
Turn on floured surface and knead dough a minute or two.
Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll to 1/2 inch thickness; cut with a biscuit cutter.
Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake a 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Biscuits need no time to rise, but are fluffier if allowed to rise in pan for 10 minutes or more before baking.

This recipe came from a friend of the family whose mother worked in the lunchroom for years. I don't make it often, but now that you brought it up I bet I will make them this weekend.

For some reason I have always been afraid to make yeast recipes. Think it comes from my mother -- she loves to cook and bake -- but won't make bread.

I should try it shouldn't I?

I haven't had my bread machine out for some time but I am planning on making cranberry yeast rolls for Thanksgiving. I am still trying to decide on the recipe. I keep looking at them and comparing them to see which one might be the best to use. I had better hurry and make that decision. Not much time left.

chessie

Actually working with yeast is very simple. I find baking bread theraputic. :)

Beth, I used to skip over any recipe that called for yeast, but I actually tried making the rolls I posted above as my first try, and I've been hooked ever since. Sometimes I use the bread machine or Kitchen Aid to mix the dough, but it's so wonderful to smell the baking bread in the kitchen, and it's really not hard. It's actually easier to get it right if you kneed it by hand. Just don't be a stickler when measuring the flour. If it feels like you need more or less, do it.

Beth I used to always avoid it too because I just didn't have the experience in it. Now I can't bake enough breads! :) Been making french bread and yummy pizza dough!!!!! It's REALLY easy beth!!! And if you have a kitchenaid mixer......even easier. The two things I've learned from practicing........let the yeast proof longer than the recipes call for and let it rise longer than it calls for and sometimes even an extra time. It helps make it lighter and doesn't have as strong of a yeast flavor. Baking breads has become a new hobby for me! :)

Nikole,

I have just fallen inlove with baking bread. Guess what are going to be my Christmas gifts!
Yes I do have a kitchen aid mixer-it is going to be the family heirloom. ;-) Thanks for the tips by the way. I baked an Armenia bread/rolls for Thanksgiving and they were a hit! I belive it made 8 dozen-I was braiding and baking for two hours.

Have a great day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter