If you focus on what you left behind, you will never be able to see what lies ahead

Half Day!

The alarm went off at 2:30am, I shut it off and went back to bed. I was so tired that morning. Luckily Mike woke up and kicked me out of bed. It was still cold out so I just threw the warmest outfit together that I could find. It actually ended up being the same thing I wore for the marathon last year.

hobo.jpg

I like to refer to it as hobo chic.

I grabbed my throw away blanket, left the room and headed to the main building to jump on the monorail. I got there a couple minutes past 3:30 and they were just doing the safety checks. Then they let the runners on and we were off to the TTC. As I was getting off to switch trains I saw someone that looked familiar. It was @rteetz!

I made my way to the other platform and the cast members kept yelling at the runners that the monorail was late and we needed to hurry. I jumped on the Epcot bound monorail and we were off. A couple minutes from the Epcot station they stopped us and said they were doing safety check at the station. I was confused, why were we just rushed on the monorail if the safety checks weren't done yet?

Anyways, less than 10 minutes later I was off the monorail and heading for the start. This morning the Dis meet up was in a different spot but unlike last year I managed to find it. My plan for the half was to run it slow, about long run pace, so I wasn't trying to get to my massive corral too early. I hung out with @mrsg00fy until 5ish and then we made the long hike to our corrals. Unfortunately, we were not in the same corral for this race so we had to say goodbye. I found my way to "G" and tried to huddle in the middle to stay warm. This morning the standing around really got to me. I had a horrible stitch in my side that I kept trying to stretch but it was not leaving for anything.

At 6:12 I was finally off and running. It was so cold I kept my blanket for almost a mile before chucking it to the side. The course was so crowded and dark but I was able to get to my long run pace. What was the best part of the beginning of the race? Looking over and seeing the elites heading towards Epcot to finish while I was just starting LOL.

Thankfully the side stitch cleared up pretty quickly when I started running. Before I knew it we were on the off ramp and headed for MK. I was expecting Pirates around mile 2 but instead there was the Mickey hot air balloon. It was really pretty all lit up in the dark. Then I approached the MK toll booth and sent a text to Mike real quick letting him know where I was. Who ever said the toll booth is tricky because you think your at MK but your still so far is right! I was like wow I'm here already! and then 3 miles later I was finally in MK :(

After the toll booth I walked the next water stop and the course wound its way through the TTC parking lots. I saw the first character stop, Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater. I've seen them before so I kept going. Then right before we turned to head into TTC I passed Jack and Sally. Not my cup of tea so I kept on. I loved running through the TTC the energy was high and the band on the back side made me want to dance.

After the TTC is a whole different story. The course is so crowded and I felt like so many people were walking. I ran a lot of that stretch in the grass. Then came the downhill under the water. That just made things worse. Luckily it didn't last long. Before long we were running through the MK bus loop and into the Magic Kingdom!! I loved that they changed the course and we got to run in through the tapsiles and right up main street. It was getting daylight out at that point and I couldn't see the castle lights anymore. But I vowed to myself that one day I would be running towards that castle in the dark!!

Sadly Main Street was over in a blink of an eye. I wound my way through Magic Kingdom trying to take in as much as I could. I saw Sebastian the crab by Ariel's grotto. Why didn't I stop?! Then right before the castle I saw Cinderella's mice. Seriously why didn't I stop?! I need an intervention. Someone to tell me it is ok to stop.

I ran through the castle and into

Liberty Square
castle run.jpg
See here I am running through the castle (in the back to the left)

Then it was into
Frontierland and out to the backstage. Magic Kingdom was over just like that. Now the backstage area had a Princess character stop but the line was really long so I kept moving. Cone Alley here I come! Last year during the marathon I don't remember it being too bad but this year was a horrible. Lot of people walking 3 or more across and construction on the grass side that made passing on the grass even trickier. I tried to not let it bother me and not use up too much energy weaving. About this time I remembered that last year they had Mary poppin's Penguins out and I told myself if I saw them I was definitely stopping this year. Sure enough those penguins were out

penguins.jpg
Yay for finally stopping!!

The course crowded finally got better after the penguins. I passed mile 8 and thought only 5 miles to go! It was about then that I started to feel this weird spot on the side of foot. I was wearing fairly new shoes that I had never been more than 7 miles in before so I started to get nervous. If I got a blister how in the world would I deal with that the next day when I was running a marathon! I texted Mike and told him to meet me at the finish with my Uggs. I wanted out of those shoes ASAP.

By this time I am nearing mile 10. Almost to the overpass and back to Epcot. I looked over and did a double take. Is that man in tube socks? Like the only thing on his feet are tube socks? He sure is!! This is also when I ended up near the 3 hour pace group. I could not shake them to save my life. The guy just kept screaming walkers on the right. I wasn't sure if he meant his group or those around him they were passing. I just tried to stay on the opposite side of the road because he was making a lot of runners mad.

I finally ditched them right before mile 12 at the sharp curve. Then it was just around the Epcot parking lot, past Tinkerbell and her friends, into Epcot make a U turn and head for the finish!! I crossed the finish line with a time of 3:01:16. An average of 13:33/ mile not bad when the goal was 13:30.

I got my medal, snacks, pictures etc and quickly found Mike to get out of those shoes. Sure enough I had a blister the size of a nickel of the side of my foot. I put my uggs on and it felt like heaven! We made our way back to the monorail and when we sat down who was sitting in the car with us?

sock man.jpg
SOCK MAN!!

At this point there was no bottom to his socks. I said hey you passed me around mile 10 and he laughed. I then asked him what it was like to run in just socks. He told me that shoes hurt is knees and sock were much better. If you say so!

At the TTC we transferred to the resort monorail and I saw @rteetz again. It was getting close to our reservation at Kona so we decided to jump off at the Poly instead of going back to the room. When we checked in at Kona they said they were a little behind so we quickly found the nearest bar. Which happened to be the Tambu Lounge

drinkpoly.jpg

We had time for one drink before they texted me our table at Kona was ready. I had the Tonga Toast and it was delicious but we felt a little rushed.

Tonga.jpg

Then it was time to head back to the Contemporary for a nap!

Last edited:
Yay for finally stopping!!
heck yes!! Love this picture :)

Is that man in tube socks? Like only tube socks? He sure is!!
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Sure enough I had a blister the size of a nickel of the side of my foot. I put my uggs on and it felt like heaven! We made our way back to the monorail and when we sat down who was sitting in the car with us?
So...I mean why didn't you just take OFF your shoes? this dude seriously could have been your spirit guide or something. :rotfl::crazy2: Also, funny story, when you texted me that picture on the monorail, I was of course cracking up, but when you talked about his shoes hurting his knees, I thought you meant that @rteetz said HIS shoes were hurting his knees! HA! Not the shoeless (and sockless) dude. It all makes sense now ;) haha

You have the worst luck with people disregarding socks and shoes on public transportation

You have the worst luck with people disregarding socks and shoes on public transportation
Right, WTH?? :crazy2:

Coming out of lurkdom to say...it's okay to stop!
Thank you! I will think of you for every picture at Princess because I am planning #allthepictures
It is so hard to retrain myself after being told so many times your going to get swept but I've shaved so much time off I am good now!

I couldn't believe that sock guy when I saw him. I don't understand how he can do that but whatever.
I know! All I could think was why even deal with the socks, your pretty much running barefoot after so many miles.

Love the boho chic and castle pic!
Thanks! That was my only Castle pic since I ran down the wrong side during the full and there were no Photopass people.

Um.. whatever this Tonga Toast thing is, I need it.
You really do! I'm not a big french toast person but it was amazing!

Definitely thought you meant a naked man wearing only tube socks. LOLOLOLOL
:rotfl: And now I am having flashbacks of this one time in Vegas!!!

Definitely thought you meant a naked man wearing only tube socks. LOLOLOLOL
I totally thought this too, hahaha!

Glad you finally stopped, great picture. Side stitches are the worst, I've read more about people getting them this weekend then before ever hearing, I got an awful one during the marathon and I never do, so I'm blaming the cold and not enough air due to it being cold. Just socks, wow, that sounds painful! Great half!!!!
Ooooh nice medal rack!

Thank you! I will think of you for every picture at Princess because I am planning #allthepictures
Excuse me while I wipe away a tear...I am so proud. :sad:
It is so hard to retrain myself after being told so many times your going to get swept but I've shaved so much time off I am good now!
That's gotta be an awesome feeling! :banana:

After the half

While I was resting after breakfast I noticed that my legs were starting to ache and I was starting to stress about the marathon the next day. The plan for the rest of the day was relaxing in the room which I did. Around dinner time I got a text from @Waiting2goback and we planned a quick meet up. Mike and I stopped by his room and then the four of us (including waiting2goback's GF) walked to the QS at our hotel. We talked for a good while about how their travels were and what our plan was for the race the next day. Mike and I ended up changing our minds about eating at the CR and instead thought it would be fun to check out Trader Sam's over at the Poly. Since Waiting2goback and his GF were going to MK we all got on the monorail. We said our goodbyes when the monorail go to the Poly and Mike and I headed to the bar.

Trader Sam's had a little bit of a wait so we put our name on the list and went to the QS in the Poly for dinner. I had a noodle bowl at Capt. Cook's and it was pretty good. As soon was we were done I got the text that they had room for us at Trader Sam's so went and grabbed seats.

TS.jpg
We have had drinks at the Trader Sam's at DL and @wehrengrizz and I tried to have drink at this one in October but it was so crowded we didn't stick around. It was fun but I liked DL's better.

We were just going to get one drink and then call it a night.
I had Mike take this picture of me to send to @wehrengrizz who was playing along at home

IMG_1908.jpg

When he was done he said don't you know those people behind you and sure enough it was @croach and @Keels. @croach is even in my picture. So I went to say hi and one drink might have turned into three.

After that we headed back to the room and I laid out all my clothes for the marathon. I tried to relax but my legs were aching so bad that I just couldn't sleep. Luckily I had packed my heating pad so put in under my calves and it helped me finally fall asleep around midnight.

I'm going to quickly interrupt my TR for what came in today's mail

View attachment 297712

So excited for my new medal rack!! I got it from Allied Medal Displays. Can't wait for Mike to hang it up tonight so I can display all of my Dopey medals properly.​
I got mine today too! Only problem is it came bent... like really bad. They are thankfully sending me a new one for free.

Loving your recaps!!! I'm a "shoulda stopped" kinda gal too. But excited to see your princess pic-fest!

I like your hydration strategy as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter