You'll Never Guess what I found on a DCL cast lanyard! (A Pin trading trip report)

eye R.N.

<font color=660000>Many TF's like pins ;-)</font><
The Merchandise PTP!!!! This is hands down the best CM trade I've ever made.

The other highlight of the cruise was being handed a Diseny Imagineering Baseball cap and pin by Barry Braverman the Senior Vice President and Executive Producer of WD Imagineering.

There were some low lights this trip though

While at AK Lodge I was stupid enough to give a pin to a CM with a promise of her picking up the Figment name tag for me since I would be on the cruise by then, so far not a word.

The second disturbing incident was with a CM on DCL who refused a lanyard trade from my 12 yr. old son because he didn't have anything "cool enough" to trade for a 25th anniversary Mickey that was on the CM lanyard. Yes, we went to Guest Services on that one and they did some great guest recovery for my son. I have since found a 25th pin and gifted it to him.

A safe and happy trip to all going to the Big Event. I'll be thinking of you.

Denise

I recall a cast member rudely rejecting my pin too, when I attempted my first trade ever. I did not think about going to Guest Services, though. It was one of those flex pins and the pin trading thing was just getting started.

I am glad you made a nice trade! I will pack up my traders for my trip at the end of the month, hoping to get lucky too!

Wanda

I THOUGHT THAT CMS HAD TO TRADE WHAT WAS ON THEIR LANYARD FOR ANYTHING YOU HAD - JUST AS LONG AS IT WAS NOT A PIN THEY ALREADY HAD ON THE LANYARD. I NEVER CAME ACROSS ANY RUDE CM'S WHILE MY DAUGHTER WAS TRADING THANK GOODNESS - IT MAY DETER HER FROM WANTING TO TRADE. I WILL REMEMBER THE GUEST SERVICE DESK THOUGH IF IT DOES HAPPEN.

I suspect the Cruise CM's may not get the same training as the Park CM's. I did "educate" a cruise CM when he tried to pull the same stunt on me. It's not like it's their personal pins which would have been a different matter entirely.

Denise

some of the cruise CMs do wear lanyards with their personal pins on them! We encountered several of these on the DizPins cruise in May. It's a very odd feeling after trading with the park CMs to run into a CM wearing a personal lanyard while on stage. I'm not sure why DCL allows this, but maybe the rules are different for cruise CMs!

I also wanted to mention my run-in with a pin cart CM at the Wilderness Lodge. She had a lanyard on and was waiting on another guest while I took a look at her lanyard. She opened a drawer in the cart and there were several more lanyards in there. When she finished with the other guest, I asked to see the drawer lanyards. She refused!!! She said they were not for guests!! I went and hunted down a suit and explained what had happened. He marched me over to the cart and asked the CM if there were any lanyards in the drawer. She said yes and then he asked her to show them to me. She did and although I didn't trade for anything on them, I left thinking that it was very wierd the way she acted.

~Nancy~

Denise, I'm anxious to see what pins you picked up/traded, etc. while on your Disney vacation! Also, glad to read that you & Nancy each spoke up about what happened while you were trying to pin trade.

Unfortunatly, some "pin trading education" has to be done - especially at the resorts. If the managers don't like pin trading, and a lot of them don't, a little effort on a guest's part usually takes care of the "problem".

Wow, this has been an enlightening thread for me! :eek: I too thought CMs had to trade with guests as long as the pins were Disney pins and ones not already on their lanyards. How odd to be permitted to wear one's personal lanyard while on-stage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter