Your 3 best Field trips from Grade School

So this was in the 70s. I went to a Catholic grade school and the traveling Vatican art exhibit was coming to the Chicago art museum. So they picked 2 kids out of every grade(pick you name out of a hat) to go downtown and see it. I was lucky and I got to see the actual statue of David. I think I was in 5th grade but I remember how amazingly detailed it was. I feel fortunate that I was able to view it in person, even being so young.

The one that stands out is a visit to the United Nations in 8th grade. We found out in the morning that the Bee Gees were giving a speech at the UN that day. This was in 1978 at the height of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack popularity. We got to stand all the way in the back of the room to see them. I'm sure our teachers weren't thrilled and had other plans for our UN visit.

I'm sure we did smaller local things too, but the only one I really remember from elementary school was (what was then called) Mumford Village. It's grown since then:

https://www.gcv.org/

but I remember being fascinated by the octagon house.

We have taken our kids to Mumford a few times when visiting my Husband's family who still live in Western NY. We had a similar place were I grew up called Old Bethpage Restoration Village.

I lived(well still do) in Baltimore, so we went to DC a lot for school trips.
1. White House, capital, Smithsonians
2. Busch Gardens(in Va.)
3. Hersheypark

My daughter's favorite "field" trip- China for 3 weeks- times have sure changed hahaha

1) Naval Air Station Alameda. I'm wonder if the Petty Officer 2nd Class who led our tour drew the short straw or something. That was primarily a maintenance facility and a home port for several aircraft carriers over the years. I you ever saw Star Trek IV, that's where the had the "nuclear wessels". I asked if we might see plane take off or land and our guide said they might land a couple of planes per day. We did manage to see one plane landing. I remember we were told we could take all the photos we wanted, but not if the radar (which I don't think was classified) was exposed. Our teacher did tell us that the base snack bar was pretty good (and really cheap), but they weren't open. That happened to be our normal hot dog day at school so we were able to eat when we got back.

i was stationed in a small Naval Air Base, in Mt View, and I remember one day I was sent up to Alameda for a part we need by 3, to get a plain in the air, it was so big and dreary, I just couldnt wait to ge tbacl home to little Moffett Field

YES! Mumford! I see it's been mentioned twice on here already (what are the odds?). That octagon house will stay in a child's mind forever.

I remember in 10th grade we went to the movies for one of our monthly field trips and we went to see Legends of the Fall. I do not remember the plot to that movie but I do remember how dreamy Brad Pitt looked to my 15 year old brain.

My first field trip I can ever remember was to the Buffalo Zoo in kindergarten. We went in the snake house and I got freaked out by the snakes and I ran out, away from the group. I realized I was lost and started to cry. An adult asked me my zip code, I didn't even know what a zip code was. I cried harder thinking I would never see my Mommy again. Right then my teacher came out and found me and scolded me for for running out away from the group. I learned a valuable lesson, always stay in eyesight of your people and do not lose sight of them. Even if snakes are scary.

i was stationed in a small Naval Air Base, in Mt View, and I remember one day I was sent up to Alameda for a part we need by 3, to get a plain in the air, it was so big and dreary, I just couldnt wait to ge tbacl home to little Moffett Field

Don't know how "little" Moffett was. I always thought it was a fairly big total federal complex with NASA Ames and what was eventually Onizuka Air Force Station. I had a grad school classmate (2nd Lt.) who was stationed there. He was a Duke grad and we talked basketball. He wore his Air Force uniform to class when the Pentagon paid for it, but wore civilian clothes when he paid for the class. He said that every class the Pentagon paid for required lengthening his commitment.

The feds kept Moffett as a "federal airfield" because they needed a secure airfield for NASA Ames. I was there back in 2012 when NASA was flying the Space Shuttle Endeavour around in the 747 carrier before it got to its eventual home in Los Angeles. They opened the gates, had food trucks, and lots of NASA employees were there. Some has promotional booths set up, but others were just taking time off their day to say goodbye to Endeavour. I heard a rumor that it might do a touch and go

I've been to the old NAS Alameda after it was decommissioned. I suppose it does have a lot more land, but that layout seemed to waste a lot of area. To this day they haven't built on top of the airfield area, but have reused several of the old hangars. Hangar 1 Vodka is there. There's a fitness club called Bladium that took over another hangar. They do everything from roller hockey to indoor soccer.

Bladium-Field-Rentals-900x497.jpg

I was at a different hangar years ago for a club sports tournament - as a spectator. The place had no heat, barebones facilities, and it was some of the coldest weather in years.

In elementary school our annual trips to the long closed Willow Grove Park (amusement park) about a week before school let out in June.

I grew up in Willow Grove. We also had an annual school day there in late May/early June. Plus I visited numerous other times with my family.

In elementary school we went to Philly and did the historic stuff, Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house, etc. There was a trip to Dutch Wonderland near Lancaster but I was sick that day and missed it. :sad: We also went to the zoo once or twice.

In high school we went to New York twice. World Trade Center and Museum of Natural History one time. The other was the United Nations. Also Washington DC for the Smithsonian. And the state capitol in Harrisburg.

Several years we did the local zoo and the history/science museum, which were always fun. Also there was an annual all-school trip to a park on the day before the last day of school. Really memorable ones though were:
  • Fossil dig site where we could dig in the mud all day and keep what we find (assuming it wasn't a monumental discovery - nothing was).
  • Huntsville Space Center muesum - this was a bit of a longer trip but it was so fun that my mom ended taking both me and my sister back there after all the raving I did about it.
  • Pizza Party & Mini-Golf place - our class won this by bringing in the most pennies for charity - we won by a ton (possibly literally). This was a completely non-educational outing for pizza then an afternoon at the mini-golf/family fun center. It was super hot that day so everyone stayed inside and hit the video games pretty hard. My mom volunteered to chaperone and had lots of quarters! :)

Last edited:
World's Fair (I was fortunate to have a season pass, so we went many times while it was in NOLA)
Audubon Zoo (we went every year)
Contemporary Arts Center New Orleans (we went every year)

Heinz Pickle Factory in Pittsburgh. Where we all got a pickle pin. I thought I really had something.

Haven't actually been to a working Heinz factory, but I have been to an old one. Heinz used to have a complex in Berkeley, California making various products including pickles, ketchup, etc in different buildings. The former Scharffen Berger Chocolates factory was supposedly in the same building as the old ketchup factory. There's still a Heinz Ave. in Berkeley.

I've been to some of my kid's field trips as an adult chaperone. We got fairly common trips such as the San Francisco Zoo or a regional park. My kid didn't go on it, but once I picked up my kid at school and saw several kids coming back from a field trip wearing Jelly Belly paper hats from their factory tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter