Your external flash strategy/settings

jimim

DIS Veteran
I will first start off and say I and always trying to learn and hone in on my skills. I love to learn new techniques to further my knowledge.

My question is regarding external flash use. I typically shoot av or manual. I understand the relationship between f stop, shutter speed, and iso. I also understand that my flash will light the foreground subject. So when I shoot I keep my flash is ettl mode. The only changes I make is compensating for the output of the flash in the camera.

I really don’t even know if that is correct or not.

Today I started to read about manual and ttl flash shooting but I feel like I am starting to get over my head.

Can you guys share some strategies with me regarding how u shoot with ur external flash.

This trip I really really tried to use my flash more during the day for fill flash also I got some decent results.

I am sorry if this is a very broad question but I thought if I got some input then I can narrow down my questions then.

I also rely heavy on the bounce saucer from demb. This trip I tried to shoot less with it and just kept lowering the output of my flash so the flash was not too intense. The saucer works great but it’s getting to be a pain while in the parks. At home it’s fine. I keep it on cause my camera is out.

Thanks everyone.

Jimi

Thoughts...
  • love my external flash
    • correct's white balance issues
    • fills in shadows
    • built-in flash takes too long to recharge
    • built-in flash does not work well with long lenses
  • consider a premium model that allows you to hook up an external battery pack. The Nikon SB5000 allows me to do 4 flashes of the bouquet mid-air when it tossed when I'm using an external pack.
    • flashship flash models have motors in the flash head to adjust the shape of light with mirrors. Wide beam for wide angle lenses. Narrow the beam for zoom lenses. You can hear the motors working when you zoom in/out of your lens.
  • camera oem flashes usually offer iTTL or eTTL to meter the power to avoid over/under exposure issues
  • consider a diffuser to spread the light. Another technique is to bounce the light off walls and ceilings (pay attention to the surface color).
  • consider a strobes and/or multiple flashes for large groups.
  • you might find some deals with Christmas specials right now.
  • also research the Godox v860 flashes for value. I find the manufacturer flashes do work better when charging for the following up flash when doing event work.

Last edited:
I will first start off and say I and always trying to learn and hone in on my skills. I love to learn new techniques to further my knowledge.

My question is regarding external flash use. I typically shoot av or manual. I understand the relationship between f stop, shutter speed, and iso. I also understand that my flash will light the foreground subject. So when I shoot I keep my flash is ettl mode. The only changes I make is compensating for the output of the flash in the camera.

I really don’t even know if that is correct or not.

Today I started to read about manual and ttl flash shooting but I feel like I am starting to get over my head.

Can you guys share some strategies with me regarding how u shoot with ur external flash.

This trip I really really tried to use my flash more during the day for fill flash also I got some decent results.

I am sorry if this is a very broad question but I thought if I got some input then I can narrow down my questions then.

I also rely heavy on the bounce saucer from demb. This trip I tried to shoot less with it and just kept lowering the output of my flash so the flash was not too intense. The saucer works great but it’s getting to be a pain while in the parks. At home it’s fine. I keep it on cause my camera is out.

Thanks everyone.

Jimi

yes, that's correct. When I use a flash it's in ETTL mode and the camera is on manual settings. But increasingly I don't carry an external flash when traveling.
For me it's easier to use "fill flash" with post processing.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thoughts...
  • love my external flash
    • correct's white balance issues
    • fills in shadows
    • built-in flash takes too long to recharge
    • built-in flash does not work well with long lenses
  • consider a premium model that allows you to hook up an external battery pack. The Nikon SB5000 allows me to do 4 flashes of the bouquet mid-air when it tossed when I'm using an external pack.
    • flashship flash models have motors in the flash head to adjust the shape of light with mirrors. Wide beam for wide angle lenses. Narrow the beam for zoom lenses. You can hear the motors working when you zoom in/out of your lens.
  • camera oem flashes usually offer iTTL or eTTL to meter the power to avoid over/under exposure issues
  • consider a diffuser to spread the light. Another technique is to bounce the light off walls and ceilings (pay attention to the surface color).
  • consider a strobes and/or multiple flashes for large groups.
  • you might find some deals with Christmas specials right now.
  • also research the Godox v860 flashes for value. I find the manufacturer flashes do work better when charging for the following up flash when doing event work.

i use a saucer from joe demb to spread light when i can't bounce off the ceiling. i also use the fong diffuser. they work well but are getting to be a pain in the park. i mentioned that in my post.

i never use my built in flash. only my external flash.

do you shoot manual with ur flash or ttl? any advice there?

yes, that's correct. When I use a flash it's in ETTL mode and the camera is on manual settings. But increasingly I don't carry an external flash when traveling.
For me it's easier to use "fill flash" with post processing.

bob when u are editing and u use "fill flash". . . do u mean increasing shadow details if using lightroom? i use lightroom for post processing and have been using shadows setting much more vs exposure bumps cause it seems to balance the overall picture better. i also decrease whites and highlights also to help balance out increasing shadow detail.

when u do use ur flash so u are just letting the flash decide on proper exposure and you just dial the output of the flash on the camera up or down like i mentioned? am i on the right track?

bob when u are editing and u use "fill flash". . . do u mean increasing shadow details if using lightroom? i use lightroom for post processing and have been using shadows setting much more vs exposure bumps cause it seems to balance the overall picture better. i also decrease whites and highlights also to help balance out increasing shadow detail.

when u do use ur flash so u are just letting the flash decide on proper exposure and you just dial the output of the flash on the camera up or down like i mentioned? am i on the right track?

when I use an external flash the camera settings are on manual (aperture, shutter, iso) and the flash is set to ETTL

Since a bulk of my.photos are in theme parks, museums, zoos, aquariums or other places that I can't use a flash I try to avoid using a flash whenever possible for practice.

Since a bulk of my.photos are in theme parks, museums, zoos, aquariums or other places that I can't use a flash I try to avoid using a flash whenever possible for practice.
Many of my non-Disney photos are without flash. But I use it a lot at Disney for character and family shots. Mostly to illuminate faces from harsh shadows in bright sun or to make up for terrible lighting in character meals or dedicated character meeting locations.

Many of my non-Disney photos are without flash. But I use it a lot at Disney for character and family shots. Mostly to illuminate faces from harsh shadows in bright sun or to make up for terrible lighting in character meals or dedicated character meeting locations.

For your character shots, do you have the flash on TTL and do you use any negative flash exposure? I find that your photos always balance the flash very well. What are your tips or recommendations?

For your character shots, do you have the flash on TTL and do you use any negative flash exposure? I find that your photos always balance the flash very well. What are your tips or recommendations?
Thanks! :) And yes, that's exactly what I do. I do have it on TTL and I do typically have the FEC turned down a bit. Usually 2/3 of a stop (give or take). For indoor character meets, I typically go with f/4.5 or 5.6, SS 1/60 or 1/80 and ISO 800 to 1600. I'm not sure if any of this is the "right" way to do it, but it's what I found that I like for a nice balance between foreground and background light.

Do you have any recommendations on how I can utilise my external flash? Because I'm bringing along my SB-800, which uses the Nikon equivalent of ETTL: ITTL, even though all my lenses are fast.

Do you have any recommendations on how I can utilise my external flash? Because I'm bringing along my SB-800, which uses the Nikon equivalent of ETTL: ITTL, even though all my lenses are fast.
Pretty much just what I posted above. I actually have a smaller Canon flash that I use in the parks to keep the load a little lighter. But I definitely want flash for cases where the sun is casting harsh shadows or when someone is backlit. Also for the poor lighting at character meals.

Mostly I expose as I typically would, but add some flash, but turn it down a bit with the flash exposure compensation function.

I enjoyed Bryan Peterson's book on flash photography:

https://www.amazon.com/Understandin...rstanding+flash+photography+by+bryan+peterson

Though takes a few seconds, the simplest way to use TTL flash:
-- Turn the flash off and adjust your exposure settings. Essentially meter the scene, and then manually lock in those settings -- but underexposing a bit to taste. For example, if you are in aperture priority mode, with an aperture of F4. And you meter the scene, your camera comes back with ISO 1600, shutter speed of 1/80...
Manually set for slightly underexposing, the degree to taste. For maybe ISO 1250 and shutter speed of 1/100..
Then turn on and use the TTL flash, preferably bouncing it if you can. Bouncing the flash is critical if you can do it.
You'll end up with a well-illuminated subject and just a slightly darkened background.

Thanks! :) And yes, that's exactly what I do. I do have it on TTL and I do typically have the FEC turned down a bit. Usually 2/3 of a stop (give or take). For indoor character meets, I typically go with f/4.5 or 5.6, SS 1/60 or 1/80 and ISO 800 to 1600. I'm not sure if any of this is the "right" way to do it, but it's what I found that I like for a nice balance between foreground and background light.

these are the exact inside settings in manual i hoover around too. i have been using iso of 1000 almost all the time now. even stopped down to f4.5 i get enough sharpness for the character and my 2 kids when focused on one of them. i have been getting better at turning down the output of the flash also. a lot of those backdrops really reflect ur flash also. i hate when that happens.

Though takes a few seconds, the simplest way to use TTL flash:
-- Turn the flash off and adjust your exposure settings. Essentially meter the scene, and then manually lock in those settings -- but underexposing a bit to taste. For example, if you are in aperture priority mode, with an aperture of F4. And you meter the scene, your camera comes back with ISO 1600, shutter speed of 1/80...
Manually set for slightly underexposing, the degree to taste. For maybe ISO 1250 and shutter speed of 1/100..
Then turn on and use the TTL flash, preferably bouncing it if you can. Bouncing the flash is critical if you can do it.
You'll end up with a well-illuminated subject and just a slightly darkened background.

i really like this advice. thanks for that. i always use my demb saucer for the past 5-6 years now for my bounce. i feel it works very ell overall.

figured i would throw it up there for others finding this thread.
http://www.dembflashproducts.com/products/saucer/

do you shoot manual with ur flash or ttl? any advice there?
the only time I shoot manual is in a controlled setting. The subject is stays in one position and I'm using light stands. Example.... Santa pictures.

As an event photographer when I'm running around.... love TTL. I let the camera do all the metering as I don't have time to pull out a light meter with light constantly changing.

One other thing I'll add... love flash brackets. Kinda bulky, but it keeps the flash away from the lens, while keeping the light overhead in portrait pictures. Love custom. Advance to 4m15s

here is how i do it.

Camera is in Manual mode. f4, ISO 200, 200ms shutter. (set your camera up for a photo with no flash that exposes the background how you want)

When flash is mounted on camera hot shoe, 90% of the time it is in TTL. (TTL on flash will expose your subject correctly, camera settings above will expose the background). I then do + or - on flash compensation as needed to change subject exposure.

I do the same with true "off camera" flash where my wife or kids hold the flash for me. But using remote triggers. There are times when I want to try and get a specific look with "off camera" and my triggers. then I go full manual for the flash and control it via the master. i have a 3 speed light set up that i use for doing portraits and some wedding stuff.

you learn it all with experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!