Your favourite LAX stopover hotel

mickeyd78

Mouseketeer
Just wondering what everyone’s favourite LAX hotel is? We have travelled to WDW many times, and have learned that we much prefer to stop over at LAX for 24hrs rather than connect immediately to MCO. Much less stressful, and I need to stretch the legs and sleep flat in a bed!

Since our honeymoon in 2003, we have usually stayed at the Westin LAX. It’s comfortable, and we often find a decent rate (USD$120 ish), or use some of my brother’s Starwood points. We like the free shuttle from/to the airport and the Ocean Express shuttle to Manhattan beach and mall, which leave from across the road.

We’ll be transiting through LAX again next year, and wondered where everyone else stays. Do you have a go to place that you prefer, or do you just look for the best deal?

A couple of times, we spent a few days in Hollywood, Hollywood Orchid Suites are fantastic.
But last year we had a night in Lax on the way back from Orlando ( best idea ever) to break up the long flights.
We just stayed at the Travelodge LAX, nothing flash, but did the job. Also got the shuttle to Manhanttan Beach and a shopping centre.

We are going to try Marriott LAX Airport. It has a nice pool area, so looking forward to a relaxing afternoon before carrying on to MCO early the next morning. It is not cheap though.

We stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights in 2009.
It was very nice then, yes the pool was great.
A lot of different airlines crew stay there, so people coming & going all the time.
Though when we checked in , we then went off to find the room, opened the door , argh this might be a bit squashy with 4 in a bed. So off I went downstairs to tell them we had booked 2 beds. Ok she said, gave me the number to another room, went and got the others, found the room..
argh, couldn't get in, so was about to head off downstairs again and then saw a maid, she said oh I will open it for you, which she did.
We walked in.....
argh, no one there , but someone's luggage, belongings in the room.
So off I went downstairs again, was pissed off by now, tired after our flight from Sydney with 2 kids, anyhow we that time were given the right room. We had a view overlooking the runway , was good.
Though it was not very good, that we got to go into someone's room, I made sure I left no valuable's out & locked our suitcases when we were out during the day, in case someone happened to rock into our room..

We've booked the Crowne Plaza LAX on a recommendation. Hoping it's ok.

LivingforDisney your story sounds like my honeymoon, sort of! We arrived late at night in Singapore and were given out key. Opened the door to our room and there were two people 'getting busy' in there!! Went downstairs and had stern words with the front desk and they gave us an upgrade and a new key. This room, whilst empty, had a lovely fruit basket welcoming Mr Wong! The front desk swore it wasn't his room but I worried the whole time that someone else was going to be given a key to our room!!

LivingforDisney your story sounds like my honeymoon, sort of!

Haha, also very similar to our wedding day. We got a cab from our reception venue and rocked up to the hotel (the opulent Mercure Geelong). Opened up the room... and someone else's stuff was in there. Backed out and went down (me in tux, her still in the wedding dress) and this time got the right room.

Ha m ha ,maybe Mr Wong checked out that morning and couldn't take the fruit with him, and the staff left it there.

I never bother to stay in LA, always head straight down to DLR :thumbsup2

However, my parents are staying at the Marriott LAX on our upcoming trip. It was recommended by a colleague.

Personally, I think your usual hotel sounds great! If you've been happy with it in the past, why bother to change? :confused3

As long as the hotel has a free shuttle, isn't too far from the airport, gets reasonably good reviews, and is at a price I'm willing to pay, then I am happy. At the end of the day, you are only really using a airport hotel to sleep, shower, and perhaps have a meal of two. I would rather save money here than during other parts of my trip.

On my last US holiday, we stayed in the Sheraton at the start of the trip and the Marriott at the end. They were both perfectly fine, with a slight preference going towards the Sheraton.

Prices vary wildly for LAX hotels, but if you do some research into different booking websites, there are some pretty good deals to be found. Last year, I was able to find a great price on the Sheraton through a mystery deal with Hotwire (it was pretty easy to work out what the 'Secret' hotel was), However, for our upcoming trip, the cheapest I could find the Sheraton was about double what I paid last time. I have instead booked the Marriott again as I was able to get a room for $100 p/n (inc. taxes).

Which Marriott is that Wanderlust, that is way cheaper than the one we are looking at (5855 W Century Blvd)

Which Marriott is that Wanderlust, that is way cheaper than the one we are looking at (5855 W Century Blvd)

Hi Caroline. The same Marriott that you are looking at.

I have booked through Last Minute Travel Club (LMTClub). I became a member using a join for free promo code I found online.
I'm reluctant to recommend the website yet as it's the first time we've used them. But because I'm quite a wary person, I have done quite a bit research and spoken to someone who has used them, and it all seems very much legit. They seem to have some sort of deal with Marriott as their deals for all Marriott's are very good.

Hi Caroline. The same Marriott that you are looking at.

I have booked through Last Minute Travel Club (LMTClub). I became a member using a join for free promo code I found online.
I'm reluctant to recommend the website yet as it's the first time we've used them. But because I'm quite a wary person, I have done quite a bit research and spoken to someone who has used them, and it all seems very much legit. They seem to have some sort of deal with Marriott as their deals for all Marriott's are very good.

I just joined but the Marriott is not showing for our night :-(

I just joined but the Marriott is not showing for our night :-(

What a shame. I think they are only allocated a certain number of rooms at each price, so perhaps they've sold out. Were there any others available for a cheap price?
If not, perhaps try websites like Hotwire. I think Cheaptickets has a 20% off promo at present.

What a shame. I think they are only allocated a certain number of rooms at each price, so perhaps they've sold out. Were there any others available for a cheap price?
If not, perhaps try websites like Hotwire. I think Cheaptickets has a 20% off promo at present.

Yes, the Crowne Plaza was very cheap. But I was really looking forward to relaxing next to the Marriott pool for the afternoon....... will keep checking for the next few weeks

Yes, the Crowne Plaza was very cheap. But I was really looking forward to relaxing next to the Marriott pool for the afternoon....... will keep checking for the next few weeks
For what it's worth, we were at the Marriott on October 9th last year and the pool area was really cold. It was the middle of the day and no one was using it.
Definitely get the Marriott if you can find a deal, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money based on the pool alone incase it's too cold.

Perhaps there is a hotel with a heated indoor pool???

For what it's worth, we were at the Marriott on October 9th last year and the pool area was really cold. It was the middle of the day and no one was using it.
Definitely get the Marriott if you can find a deal, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money based on the pool alone incase it's too cold.

Perhaps there is a hotel with a heated indoor pool???

That's good to know, I'll keep looking, but maybe it will be the Crown Plaza ( Embassy Suites are good, but you are partly paying for the included breakfast, and we leave too early for that)

Personally, I think your usual hotel sounds great! If you've been happy with it in the past, why bother to change? :confused3

Yeah, we've always been pretty happy with the Westin, and will probably stay there in the future, but interested to hear where everyone else likes to stay.

I'd never though of the Embassy Suites. That might be a good option for travelling with two little kids, because we could get a two room suite for a similar price. We'd probably miss the included breakfast to, as we tend to catch a 8am ish fligh to MCO.

Hotwire would probably be the way to go to get the best deal, but I'm too much of a control freak. I like to plan exactly where we are staying :)

We stayed at the Marriott overnight in 2012 and found it really noisy, we were on a lower floor overlooking the pool and there was lots of people in the pool late at night (think it was an end of year school thing) so was really hard to get to sleep and we had an early flight to NYC so not that great for us. Handy hotel shuttle though and were able to walk down to get some dinner down the road

A couple of times, we spent a few days in Hollywood, Hollywood Orchid Suites are fantastic.
But last year we had a night in Lax on the way back from Orlando ( best idea ever) to break up the long flights.
We just stayed at the Travelodge LAX, nothing flash, but did the job. Also got the shuttle to Manhanttan Beach and a shopping centre.

Thats like us, we like breaking up the Orlando- Sydney flight be a one night stop over in LAX. We choose to stay at the Hilton as my sister is a Hilton Honours member, so we can get an upgrade if there is availability.

They also offer free internet,have a 24 hour food market downstairs with Starbucks coffee, Pizza and sandwiches. Plus its only a 5-8 minute drive from LAX.

Shannon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter