Your first trip to Disney, what you remember ?

My family drove from NJ to Miami a number of times and for one trip I have a very faint memory of leaving I-95 and eventually (seemed like forever) driving on a long, unimpressive road up to a building, parking then going inside where there were displays and renderings of what WDW would be like upon completion. Thinking it was around 1967/68, but then this recollection might be a Figment of My Imagination.

Thinking I found information related to my fuzzy memory about the building in the following ----- *guess it was in 1970 NOT the '67/'68 time frame when we made the trip*

http://2719hyperion.blogspot.com/2010/03/lake-buena-vista-story-part-one-1969.html
taken from above referenced writing ^^^^

" .....But I’m getting ahead of myself… what exactly was Lake Buena Vista?

To answer that we have to start at the beginning, further back than the existence of Walt Disney World itself, actually. Back in January 1970, Disney opened the first little bit of Walt Disney World available to a paying public, an unassuming square building which stands today, but which was then known as the Walt Disney World Preview Center, on Preview Blvd, off state road 535 in Orlando. At this time, a natural body of water behind the preview center, called Black Lake, became Lake Buena Vista...... "

OOPS, guess my first memory WAS before WDW opened.

Last edited:
Thinking I found information related to my fuzzy memory about the building in the following ----- *guess it was in 1970 NOT the '67/'68 time frame when we made the trip*

http://2719hyperion.blogspot.com/2010/03/lake-buena-vista-story-part-one-1969.html
taken from above referenced writing ^^^^

" .....But I’m getting ahead of myself… what exactly was Lake Buena Vista?

To answer that we have to start at the beginning, further back than the existence of Walt Disney World itself, actually. Back in January 1970, Disney opened the first little bit of Walt Disney World available to a paying public, an unassuming square building which stands today, but which was then known as the Walt Disney World Preview Center, on Preview Blvd, off state road 535 in Orlando. At this time, a natural body of water behind the preview center, called Black Lake, became Lake Buena Vista...... "

OOPS, guess my first memory WAS before WDW opened.
This seemed to be from a home movie:

Apparently the Persian, Asian, and Venetian resort projects were cancelled due to lack of funding after the Arab oil embargo.

I was starting elementary school and my sister was a toddler. I remember sitting eating ice cream and talking about what rides to use our tickets on. Dad never bought any single tickets so once the book was empty, it was time to go. What I don’t remember, although Mom told me about it later, I supposedly cried all the way from the MK exit to the car that I didn’t want to leave because I would NEVER get to come back . . . That was the first year WDW was open.

Yeah, obviously my crystal ball wasn’t looking into the future that day. :rolleyes1

Late addition contribution: it wasn't a first trip but I remember being able to ride in the front car of the monorail with the driver. It was so cool! Can't do that now. :(

Where? We did that last visit at Disneyland just after Christmas. Took the round trip and shook hands with two operators (there was a switch).

I was 3 years old. The only thing I really remember was going on the peoplemover with my dad and him asking if I wanted to ride Space Mountain as we're passing by............I said yes, and somehow I was tall enough back then to let me on....I didn't enjoy it, lol

I also have very vague memories of being on If You Had Wings around that same time. My dad helped open EPCOT Center in the computer area when I was 4, so I was there OFTEN, it was like my second home :)

I have vague memories of going on the original version of Spaceship Earth, before Walter Cronkite, I remember the descent was surreal.

My first trip I was 8 years old in 2001. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and I remember playing on the pool slide. There was a queue to go down the slide. I was wearing swimming briefs and some older American boys were laughing at me and asking why I was wearing my underwear to the pool. I cried to my Mum and went straight to the resort store to buy swimming trunks. Funny to look back on. I just wasn't witty enough to say something smart back and took it to heart haha.

I also remember being so scared on Haunted Mansion that, when we came off, my Dads t-shirt was stretched into a belly boob for the rest of the day from me holding on so tight!! I never did admit to being scared on it though...

I was 10. We were at the Magic Kingdom and we saw Mickey walk out from a backstage area. My 2 sisters and I went up to get a hug and he basically just brushed us all aside.

I was about 9 on my first trip to the MK and I remember not liking it! 😳😳😳😳. It was not the type of amusement park I was used to at home (aka big rides) so I thought it was boring. I didn't go back to the MK until I was an adult and that's when the magic happened for me.

I was 18, about to enter the Navy in one month. My Buddy (Richard, girls would swoon just at his look, he later died of brain cancer, a great guy) we spent the week at Daytona Beach , and decided to spend a day at WDW, it was fun,we had a good time, but at night they had the "electric parade" I just loved it, and loved that music, still here it in my head, they the most beautiful women I have ever seen my life comming down on a float, "Sleeping Beauty" I just kept staring at her, she was so beautiful , then she looked right at me and smiled and waved, Ohhh my I been hooked since

Eh.
Our first trip to Disney World with our two sons (4 & 8 year olds) it was 'Totally' magical We had a split vacation with time in Daytona. My favourite activity there was riding mini bikes on the beach! :)

My grandparents took my three sisters and me to Disney World in 1972. I remember the 3 Little Pigs (characters then) chased my sister and I down Main Street. Weird! We had ticket books and could only ride a few attractions in each land.

Tried to ride up front on the Epcot monorail and was told they're not allowed to do that any more.
Still possible on the original.

I’ve been on a few other monorails. The Seattle Center Monorail operator sits like a bus driver in the lead car. It was made by Alweg, which made the original Disneyland Monorail. I’ve been on a few that are automated without an operator. The Las Vegas Monorail repurposed some older WDW Monorail sets without an operator. They reshaped the nose.

I was 10. Disneyland. What I most remember is convincing my 7 yr old brother that he just wanted a small mickey stuffie so he could give me the rest of his money that our grandparents gave us so I could buy a Lady stuffie. I still have that Lady dog 36 years later (although she's missing a nose, as my real dog got a hold of her 😂) I also did not like rides at that age. (Now, I will go on anything)

I’m 49. I remember our first trip when I was probably 4. 1974. Drinking out of those fruit shaped fruit drink containers. Grape was grapes. Orange was an orange. Don’t remember much but for some reason I do that. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!