Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

That power wrap is an awesome addition to the menu - especially for vegans/vegetarians! I'm with you on usually being a non-breakfast person though. At home, I rarely ever have it!

Yum for your pizza and beer! Beer goes so well with Pizza, you just had to get a pitcher for all that cheesy goodness! Glad it was a 5 Forky Experience for you :)

No Mario Masks here - just Toucan ones ;)

Jason does like lean meat so I'm pretty sure he'll never take a stab at me :P
He knows better otherwise he’d have a line of disers at the door wanting to know where you’d gone and was the menu good! :rotfl2:
And it won't be the last 5 forky's. Best meal of the trip will be coming up in a few posts
I’m intrigued now to hear where else made it to 5 forkys ???
Oh you so should! Let's start now. 1. Bring only what you need not what you think you might need for a week long stay. 2. Unzip your bag before you get to the front of the line. 3. Repeat #1
Sounds so simple doesn’t it and yet some people make it soooo difficult :confused3
And - to be serious for a moment - I do VERY much appreciate all the efforts to keep us safe. I think I'm more frustrated that we live in a world where these precautions are necessary than I am at the procedures themselves.
As someone who’s 1st job was as bag checker (aged a whole 16 at the local grocery shop:scared1:) I always feel for the security personnel and appreciate their efforts to keep us safe but it seriously could run smoother if people just had a bit of wit!
so maybe there just is no bypassing "stupid."
Commonsense isn’t always as common as it should be :sad2:
I'm serious! I think a part 2 is necessary!!!
You definitely need to do a part 2 lol

I agree that Narcoossees doesn't feel like a signature restaurant. The first time we went there it felt much too informal and chaotic than a signature restaurant should be.

I understand that they need to separate those with bags from those without bags, but they also need to separate people with “normal” bags from those who are prepared for Armageddon.
I would love it if they did something like that. There have opened bag check lines for strollers, which is a definite improvement.
I hate bag check and have been guilty of hiding my stuff in my pockets if I can.
Service here can tend to be rushed and inconsistent, but today we had the best service we’ve ever had.
We ate at Via Napoli in October and had a wonderful server. She was great. We usually avoid VN because of bad service, but we were dining with friends and they wanted to eat here. It worked out to be a really good meal. :)
We started with some bread and oil which I didn’t recall being served before.
They weren't serving bread for free in October. You had to pay for it then. I hope they continue to serve free bread, since it is the least they can do. ::yes::
we were able to get an extra FP for Maelstrom
It feels like Maelstrom to me. It looks like you were a bit 'frozen" in there. :)

It ended up taking close to a half hour to get through security, but once we broke free of line Epcot did have the only “magic” hours that had any semblance of magic for us.

Nice empty park!

From there we tested some track

And apparently my husband tested my face :confused3

It's called "Test" Track, Jason…not "Taste Kari's Face" Track! :laughing:

We started with some bread and oil which I didn’t recall being served before.

This was perfectly fine, but we didn’t eat much of it not wanting to ruin ourselves for the star of the show.

Allie and I got this in December because her favorite thing in the world is bread. A nice couple at a neighboring table told us to ask for it with Balsamic as well, and honestly, that balsamic was no joke…super delicious 😋 We'll getting that again in March, for sure!

Casey and I shared what I consider the best pizza on earth, the Carciofi, with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, and truffle oil. And in a surprise to no one we also added mushrooms.

Silly silly me! We added arugula of course. Creamy fontina, combined with earthy artichokes and truffle, and crunchy arugula all served upon a perfectly charred chewy crust is simply as good as a pizza gets. We were in Via Napoli heaven!

Yum! 😍😍😍

I am intrigued by the Power Wrap!!! Might have to give that one a try.

We've only ever eaten at Via Napoli once, and I'm not sure why because beer and pizza are literally the staples in my diet!!

Casey is so adorable!! Love the video.

Too bad Narcoosee's was so bad. I keep saying we will go back there, but we never do. Looks like we skip it again this year too.
Love the report.

they also need to separate people with “normal” bags from those who are prepared for Armageddon. As I very patiently waited with my purse that barely holds a phone I saw a full sized cooler, a stroller so packed the kid couldn’t fit in it, and my personal favorites the bags with bags inside bags 😱
I couldn't agree more 👏👏. I think it would go over better than my idea of lines saying clueless people here.

Having made the grave mistake of branching out last time we were here we knew to stick to our favorites.

Jason ordered the Broccolini Pizza with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, porchetta, robiola, broccolini rabe.
Sometimes not branching out is a good thing. Jason's pizza looks like one we would enjoy. Sorry but artichokes are another food I haven't learned to like.
Good to hear your waiter was attentive. I always hear mix reviews of service at Via Napoli.

But then again, I've been behind people in the Annual Passholders entrance lane who can't remember what finger they used so maybe there just is no bypassing "stupid."
That may even be worse than the bag check people. For some reason they had next to no passholder entrances on this trip but in the past I've been "amazed" at how many APs have zero idea how to even enter a park.

And - to be serious for a moment - I do VERY much appreciate all the efforts to keep us safe. I think I'm more frustrated that we live in a world where these precautions are necessary than I am at the procedures themselves.
Oh I so am with you. I appreciate what they do to keep us safe. I just wish everyone else and their stuff would enable them to do so in a much more efficient manner :D

Sounds like a great night at Via Napoli. I agree, the service can be hit or miss but Enrico sounds awesome. Gosh I love their pizza! Via Napoli is always a win with me.
Its always a win for us too! Hoping we can get to the Disneyland version in a few months!

This is my first ever "Mum and son" trip! What's a mother to do when her soon to be 20 year old asks her if she wants to go to see Galaxy's Edge? Book a week long trip, of course! :)
Awesome!!!!!!

Last August service and food were awful which was a first for us there. Usually, we leave quite happy but not last time...
I remember you telling me and of course writing about it. Service is usually suspect for us, but thankfully the food has never disappointed.

100%! At Universal, you just put all your stuff in a bin through a metal detector like the airport and I wish Disney would do this! It seems much more effective and efficient!
YES!!!!!!!! Why security operates the same throughout the country but Disney decided they needed their own inefficient system is beyond me.

You timed your update perfectly with this day lol! My sister and I celebrated by going to our favorite local pizzeria

🥰 🥰 🥰
IMG-4523.jpg
Oh look at that perfect char. That looks delicious. Must. Have. Pizza.

We had a terrible experience the only time we went to Via Napoli but your reports always make me feel like we should give it another chance.
If you've got pizza like that near your house maybe you don't need to give it another try :earboy2:

That power wrap is an awesome addition to the menu - especially for vegans/vegetarians! I'm with you on usually being a non-breakfast person though. At home, I rarely ever have it!
It really was a great addition and the perfect thing to share for a quick morning pick me up

Yum for your pizza and beer! Beer goes so well with Pizza, you just had to get a pitcher for all that cheesy goodness! Glad it was a 5 Forky Experience for you :)
I like the way you think!!!! Pizza and beer certainly is one of the great combos in life

No Mario Masks here - just Toucan ones ;)
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I’m intrigued now to hear where else made it to 5 forkys ???
Here's some more intrigue. It's someplace we'd never been too before...

As someone who’s 1st job was as bag checker (aged a whole 16 at the local grocery shop:scared1:) I always feel for the security personnel and appreciate their efforts to keep us safe but it seriously could run smoother if people just had a bit of wit!
Amen!!!!!!!!!

I agree that Narcoossees doesn't feel like a signature restaurant. The first time we went there it felt much too informal and chaotic than a signature restaurant should be.
It certainly has never felt like it but the food had always been so good. After this last time I'm thinking its look, feel, and food is more in the Red Lobster camp :earboy2:

I would love it if they did something like that. There have opened bag check lines for strollers, which is a definite improvement.
I hate bag check and have been guilty of hiding my stuff in my pockets if I can.
I didn't realize they had stroller lines now. Hopefully that helps.

I've certainly been known to hide stuff in my pockets too and before they had the metal detectors may or may not have put my tiny purse in the back of my pants :scared1:

We ate at Via Napoli in October and had a wonderful server. She was great. We usually avoid VN because of bad service, but we were dining with friends and they wanted to eat here. It worked out to be a really good meal. :)
Awesome! Glad it worked out well for you all too.

It feels like Maelstrom to me. It looks like you were a bit 'frozen" in there. :)
:rotfl2: The cold doesn't bother me anyway

It's called "Test" Track, Jason…not "Taste Kari's Face" Track! :laughing:
:P As you well know he is a special, special man

Allie and I got this in December because her favorite thing in the world is bread. A nice couple at a neighboring table told us to ask for it with Balsamic as well, and honestly, that balsamic was no joke…super delicious 😋 We'll getting that again in March, for sure!
Yum! We love balsamic or any vinegar for that matter. The Italian restaurant by our house that we eat at all the time gives you balsamic with the bread and its always so good

We've only ever eaten at Via Napoli once, and I'm not sure why because beer and pizza are literally the staples in my diet!!
You and me both! I'm a body made by pizza and bear. I mean you don't get this amazing figure of mine by eating kale and kombucha :P

Mmmm, Via Napoli. My favorite. That pizza does not disappoint. Glad the restaurant was on its A game and earned its 5 Forkies.
5 Forkys were definitely well earned!

Casey is so adorable!! Love the video.

Too bad Narcoosee's was so bad. I keep saying we will go back there, but we never do. Looks like we skip it again this year too.
Love the report.
Thanks!!! Consider yourself lucky to have smartly skipped Narcoossee's. They have definitely fallen.

I couldn't agree more 👏👏. I think it would go over better than my idea of lines saying clueless people here.
:rotfl2: Sadly I'm not sure any of the clueless people know that they are actually clueless

Sometimes not branching out is a good thing. Jason's pizza looks like one we would enjoy. Sorry but artichokes are another food I haven't learned to like.
Oh we are definitely an artichoke family. I grew up eating them all the time and they are one of our favorite foods!!!!

For the bread and balsamic vinegar lovers, do you dip the bread in olive oil, then the balsamic or just the balsamic?

I bought a bottle of balsamic vinegar that had been aged in a barrel for 18 years. It was light years better than the standard grocery store variety. I never knew balsamic vinegar could taste so good. :)
Oh yeah there is little better than a really good vinegar. There is a store that makes and sells all sorts of vinegars not far from our house and it gets me in trouble every time I go there. Their fig balsamic is by far my favorite.

I’ve Died and Gone to Southern Heaven

Tonight was a dinner I was very excited about. So excited we’d even made an ADR. Like before we even got to Florida. Like more than 5 minutes before we wanted to eat. Like who are we even :confused3

But first things first, we caught the bus to Disney Springs and did some even rarer shopping at Basin, Goofy’s Candy Company, and the Lego Store.

I also stopped by guest services to get a voucher for a brick my brother had gotten on the “Disney Walk” when he was in the College Program. We picked up the brick in Magic Kingdom the next day and I thought it was a pretty cool memento.

Now back to what you all are here for…..DRINKS (and food!) :drinking1

Dinner was at what has become a favorite for us: Homecoming (still not dropping that "g" Che Fart Smith).

We were seated quickly at a high top table in the bar area and when in a bar….

I ordered what I’m pretty sure was the Indian River Paloma with Ruby Red Grapefruit Moonshine, fresh muddled lime, and Q Premium Grapefruit Soda.

This went down way too easy and I loved the grapefruit flavor but I’d missed the part about the soda as I’m not a big fan of carbonation except in beer.

Not to be outdone Jason went with the Whiskey Flight with a beer chaser.

He certainly hearted this as he could choose his whiskey pleasure and went with a Whistle Pig Rye, Michters Small Batch, Stolen X Rock and Rye, and a Florida American Wheat Bear. Aside from the way too sweet rock and rye (which he later learned was made with rock candy) he loved all of these and wished more places had options like this.

Moving right along (doog-a-doon doog-a-doon) we of course needed something to soak up all of this alkeyhol and went for the Bunch of Puppies which are house-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.

These puppies are southern perfection. Crispy on the outside with a soft corn bread like texture on the inside, I mean what can be better than what is essentially fried corn bread? Oh I know mayonnaise disguised as cheese and some spicy jelly. Puppy Perfection!

While I could have eaten about 50 more puppies we did have actual dinner to attend to. Jason branched out and ordered the Fried Chicken Sandwich which is buttermilk-brined for 24 hours and hand-battered, dressed with hot sauce aioli, iceberg lettuce, tomato, and bread and butter pickles

First and foremost the fried chicken on here was flat out delicious, but the sandwich had too much stuff on it so the chicken got lost in the mix. This was served with a side of house-made bbq potato chips topped with icebox dressing. The chips were nice and crunchy but neither of us was a fan of whatever the “icebox dressing” was on top. Jason had another term he used to describe this white concoction but I’ll leave that to your imagination so I don’t get a demerit again :earboy2:

Being the infinitely better orderers that we are Casey and I concocted a meal of our own. Up first we have the delectable Thigh High Chicken Biscuits with fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles, drizzled with hot honey from the appetizer menu.

This is my favorite thing on their menu because what could be better than delicious and flaky cheddar cheese biscuits topped with perfectly fried and juicy chicken thighs and a slightly spicy honey. Even the bread and butter pickles bring some sweet and sourness that just perfects these little bombs of southern magic.

We each also picked a side to share. Casey’s choice was Momma’s Mac and Cheese.

This was super cheesy good-old fashioned mac and cheesy goodness and Casey was smitten. Unlike Che Fart Smith ,Casey’s Mama (aka yours truly) makes her mac and cheese with a bit less cheddar and the more mild gruyere, but who am I to pass up this clearly healthy and not at all bad for you option.

Speaking of healthy, as my choice I went with the braised kale and collards which were all veg and had absolutely no pork or sugar in them.

I’m a huge fan of pretty much any type of cooked weeds greens and these slightly sweet greens doused in some tobassco were the perfect accompaniment.

Somewhere along the way Jason and I each ordered a beer. No idea what it was, but when its beer does anything but cold really matter.

In case our faces don’t say it we were not happy with our meal.

We were of course ecstatic!!!!

Fried chicken, hushpuppies, whiskey, moonshine what more does a meal need???? Just because Jason wasn’t as happy with his sandwich we’ll give it 4.5 forkys but a 5 is just some fried chicken and donuts away.

With our tables in wonderland card we saved $23.75

We waddled over to the bus depot to head back to Caribbean Beach but unfortunately people forgot their move to the back of the bus etiquette and us and another family just missed getting on. However, n a rare moment of cosmic bus karma another one came right up and we had our own private transportation back to the resort.

Once there Casey regaled us yet again with her amazing recap skills. Hear about her favorite Epcot ride, shoe emergency, and her favorite part of dinner that I’d nearly totally about. And all while tackling her treat from Goofy's Candy Shop. Move over Savannah Guthrie....

Up next, this is a bad place to be headed...

Via Napoli is so awesome indeed! The bag check at Epcot is insane. I will never understand what people are willing to lug around all day. Personally I opted to not carry anything, so we were super glad for the non-bag line. Homecomin' looks great. We have had Art Smith's cooking before at his place in DC. Very good! Can't wait to see what bad place you are headed to!

Ahh Che Fart Smith sure can make a good chicken biscuit and hush puppy, yummy goodness. I loved the thigh high chicken biscuits, how I wish Andi was a meat eater again! At least we can enjoy the hush puppies!
The pictures of you and Casey are so cute! Jason hearting his alcohol is sweet! :hyper:
Great review again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!