Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

I also stopped by guest services to get a voucher for a brick my brother had gotten on the “Disney Walk” when he was in the College Program. We picked up the brick in Magic Kingdom the next day and I thought it was a pretty cool memento.
Our son had been in the college program around the same time as your brother, except in the spring. Was this a brick that had been in the Disney walk? It is a cool memento.
Jason branched out and ordered the Fried Chicken Sandwich which is buttermilk-brined for 24 hours and hand-battered, dressed with hot sauce aioli, iceberg lettuce, tomato, and bread and butter pickles
This looks like a really good sandwich. I am surprised to see iceberg lettuce, though. I thought Disney only service romaine and other types of lettuce.
Casey’s Mama (aka yours truly) makes her mac and cheese with a bit less cheddar and the more mild gruyere,
I put some gruyere in my mac and cheese, too. :)

First and foremost the fried chicken on here was flat out delicious, but the sandwich had too much stuff on it so the chicken got lost in the mix. This was served with a side of house-made bbq potato chips topped with icebox dressing. The chips were nice and crunchy but neither of us was a fan of whatever the “icebox dressing” was on top.
We had the same sandwich on our trip in 2017. I asked for the sauce on the side & dumped the tomato & lettuce. Much better that way. You & Jason aren't alone in not being fans of " icebox dressing" 😉 We too liked the chips .If we had gotten a sandwich on our meals last year we were both prepared to say dressing on the side please.
I love those Hushpuppies too.

the Carciofi, with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, and truffle oil. And in a surprise to no one we also added mushrooms.
Mushrooms would have been WAY better than that pile of grass clippings they threw on your pie!!!!!
and did some even rarer shopping at Basin, Goofy’s Candy Company, and the Lego Store.
What the.................who the &@** are you people (no demerit for me) 🤷‍♀️
Jason had another term he used to describe this white concoction but I’ll leave that to your imagination so I don’t get a demerit again :earboy2:
No no! You need to spell that one out..........................................
I went with the braised kale and collards

🤢😷:sick:🤮🤮🤮:crazy2::crazy2::scared::faint::faint:

That's how I feel about kale AND collards, you're welcome.

If you remember Steve and I did not really enjoy our one dinner at HomecominG but we're giving it another go for brunch in July with the boys because the brunch menu looks tasty. We'll see!

Great review of Homecoming though I always think it's a bit weird having "crisps" with your dinner (possibly an Irish thing-hot fries/spuds with hot food & cold crisps/chips with cold sandwiches is the way we do it here) instead of lovely yummy fries :rotfl:
Good karma on getting a private (except for the lady with the purple hair and a couple of others :rotfl:) bus home.
Casey is making a valiant effort with that candy apple-love a good crisp candy apple. Yum!
Brilliant photos of you all :thumbsup2

I also stopped by guest services to get a voucher for a brick my brother had gotten on the “Disney Walk” when he was in the College Program. We picked up the brick in Magic Kingdom the next day and I thought it was a pretty cool memento.

That's awesome! Of course, I've been wanting a real brick since 2010 and even by then it was too late :sad1:

Love, love, love Homecomin'! It's literally Mike's favorite place down there. He was telling his work friend, "Homecomin' is the best restaurant down there, hands down." Of course, I didn't correct him and tell him that we haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to restaurants in WDW. I'm curious to see if he still thinks that after we eat brunch at CG next month. Though he is already kind of tainted since I told him they took out the bloody mary bar :sad2: Hopefully the rest of it lives up to my hype:thumbsup2

went for the Bunch of Puppies which are house-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.

So good 😋

Casey’s choice was Momma’s Mac and Cheese.

Yowza. I don't think I've ever seen so much cheese on one plate :scared1:

We were of course ecstatic!!!!

Cute!

As always, loved the vlog.

Maybe I'd like Savanna Guthrie better if she was munching on a candy apple :P

Homecoming = delicious. I am going to have to try your first drink next time I go and DH would love the bourbon flight. That’s his go to drink right now - bourbon on the rocks.

Tonight was a dinner I was very excited about. So excited we’d even made an ADR. Like before we even got to Florida. Like more than 5 minutes before we wanted to eat. Like who are we even :confused3
Wow! Who are you? And where is my friend and sister-wife Kari??? Get out you imposter!!!!

Jason had another term he used to describe this white concoction but I’ll leave that to your imagination so I don’t get a demerit again :earboy2:
OMG! There are just no words but I bet I am thinking exactly what jason was thinking...LOL!!!

Fried chicken, hushpuppies, whiskey, moonshine what more does a meal need????
Umm, that's dinner perfection in my book.

We waddled over to the bus depot to head back to Caribbean Beach but unfortunately people forgot their move to the back of the bus etiquette
They obviously didn't watch our Etiquette Vlog. I think it should have its own DIS page!!!!!

OMG YUUUUUUM! That grapefruit drink sounds right up my alley! Bubbles and all. And that chicken?!? GOOD LAWD!

We loved Homecomin! I ended up posting a picture on Facebook where my uncle told me he’s friends With Chef Art Smith and I’m like “you’ve known how good this food is and haven’t told me?”

Being the gluttons we are for punishment we started the day by trying extra magic hours yet again, this time at Epcot. No packed busses this morning but we hit the proverbial wall when we encountered a security line backed up past the monorail exit. I understand that they need to separate those with bags from those without bags, but they also need to separate people with “normal” bags from those who are prepared for Armageddon. As I very patiently waited with my purse that barely holds a phone I saw a full sized cooler, a stroller so packed the kid couldn’t fit in it, and my personal favorites the bags with bags inside bags 😱

HAHA I am the bag in a bag person, but the inside bag is a ziplock of diapers. I feel like in a zip lock they can pull it out an don't have to search the bag inside a bag. Other wise i 100% get what our saying here. I can not wait till i can go bag less, maybe by like 2025?

We were able to walk on Soarin’ and The Land and still stop for breakfast before the park had even technically opened.

Breakfast? Did I say breakfast? Casey and I aren’t normally morning eaters but after our perilous morning we stopped in Sunshine Seasons for a snack.

This is a great morning! So you dont always luck out on EMH

This was such an odd combination of flavors we couldn’t help ourselves from trying it. There was definitely too much wrap to “stuff” ratio but all of the ingredients went surprisingly well together. This clearly isn’t for everyone, but I love tofu and it hit the hangry spot.

Yeah this is not something i would pick, but i am going to take your word for it!

Service here can tend to be rushed and inconsistent, but today we had the best service we’ve ever had. Enrico had been a food runner for a year but had just been promoted to a waiter. He was exceedingly friendly and told us all about his hometown. He clearly loved his job and made me wish every server in Disney was just like him.

YAHOOO Huge win here!

more importantly after this delicious experience 5 forky’s were given.

WINNER WINNER Pizza lunch!

Tonight was a dinner I was very excited about. So excited we’d even made an ADR. Like before we even got to Florida. Like more than 5 minutes before we wanted to eat. Like who are we even :confused3

WHOA hold the phone! This and Cali Grill brunch win! Thought i do think Cali grill brunch may even be made at 18 days, so that will take the cake??

Via Napoli is so awesome indeed! The bag check at Epcot is insane. I will never understand what people are willing to lug around all day. Personally I opted to not carry anything, so we were super glad for the non-bag line. Homecomin' looks great. We have had Art Smith's cooking before at his place in DC. Very good! Can't wait to see what bad place you are headed to!
We usually try to travel without bags but in the summer we always need to have ponchos and water at the ready so its never as easy.

I've been to the DC one once and didn't enjoy it as much as the FL one. DC felt like it was trying to be refined southern food and FL is just good old southern, southern food

Ahh Che Fart Smith sure can make a good chicken biscuit and hush puppy, yummy goodness. I loved the thigh high chicken biscuits, how I wish Andi was a meat eater again! At least we can enjoy the hush puppies!
I can see how it would be hard to be a vegetarian here of all places. I love the chicken biscuits but don't think I could eat them if I didn't have my littler partner in crime to help me.

Our son had been in the college program around the same time as your brother, except in the spring. Was this a brick that had been in the Disney walk? It is a cool memento.
His brick from back in the day just had his name and the year but you could put what you wanted on the one we got the voucher from.

This looks like a really good sandwich. I am surprised to see iceberg lettuce, though. I thought Disney only service romaine and other types of lettuce.
I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps its because Disney doesn't own the restaurant :confused3

put some gruyere in my mac and cheese, too. :)
Great minds!!!!

We had the same sandwich on our trip in 2017. I asked for the sauce on the side & dumped the tomato & lettuce. Much better that way.
You definitely went the right way. Not sure why Jason didn't dump the toppings but he stayed with it until the bitter end

You & Jason aren't alone in not being fans of " icebox dressing" 😉 We too liked the chips .If we had gotten a sandwich on our meals last year we were both prepared to say dressing on the side please.
I wonder what that even was. It didn't even taste like anything

Mushrooms would have been WAY better than that pile of grass clippings they threw on your pie!!!!!
Just because you are a convert keep your nasty mushrooms to yourself. Me and my grass are just a lawn mower away from dinner

If you remember Steve and I did not really enjoy our one dinner at HomecominG but we're giving it another go for brunch in July with the boys because the brunch menu looks tasty. We'll see!
I do remember. Funny how we all go to a lot of the same spots but have totally different experiences at them. Hope brunch goes more my way than yours. I want to try that someday because it looks ah-maz-ing

Great review of Homecomin'. Booked it for our arrival dinner and can't wait :).
Awesome!!!!!!!! Provided your like moonshine, fried everything, and all the cheese you can't go wrong :D

Great review of Homecoming though I always think it's a bit weird having "crisps" with your dinner (possibly an Irish thing-hot fries/spuds with hot food & cold crisps/chips with cold sandwiches is the way we do it here) instead of lovely yummy fries :rotfl:
I don't think there is any hard and fast rule here about cold/cold or hot/hot but I'll take fries over "crisps" any day of teh week

Casey is making a valiant effort with that candy apple-love a good crisp candy apple. Yum!
Can you fathom just wanting to eat your apple and your mean Dad making your vlog :earboy2:

Love, love, love Homecomin'! It's literally Mike's favorite place down there. He was telling his work friend, "Homecomin' is the best restaurant down there, hands down." Of course, I didn't correct him and tell him that we haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to restaurants in WDW. I'm curious to see if he still thinks that after we eat brunch at CG next month. Though he is already kind of tainted since I told him they took out the bloody mary bar :sad2: Hopefully the rest of it lives up to my hype:thumbsup2
Even without scratching all of the surface I certainly think Mike is on to something. We've never had anything bad there and it is just consistently amazing.

CG has had a few misses for us, but thankfully never at brunch. I'll be curious to hear what Mike has to say about it. Just be sure to remind him he can order more than one entree and while the bloody mary bar may be gone, it cost extra so he can just enjoy the free booze :drinking1

Yowza. I don't think I've ever seen so much cheese on one plate :scared1:
It was cheese on cheese with some more cheese inside. Definitely good just not my kinda mac n cheese

Maybe I'd like Savanna Guthrie better if she was munching on a candy apple :P
Wouldn't we all like everyone better if we all just had candy apples 24x7 :earboy2: Of course w'd also have no teeth

Homecoming = delicious. I am going to have to try your first drink next time I go and DH would love the bourbon flight. That’s his go to drink right now - bourbon on the rocks.
Sounds like you are definitely on the right track with the drinks. Jason likes whiskeys in general and has moved away from the rocks and water and now just drinks it straight. How he does that I have no idea

Wow! Who are you? And where is my friend and sister-wife Kari??? Get out you imposter!!!!
It's just your planning sister wifeness all rubbing up off on me :P

OMG! There are just no words but I bet I am thinking exactly what jason was thinking...LOL!!!
I'm sure you are because deep down we are all just 12 year old boys!

They obviously didn't watch our Etiquette Vlog. I think it should have its own DIS page!!!!!
Bring it on!!!!! I was actually thinking the other day we should all start a joint instagram account and do nothing but post pictures/videos of all of the etiquette faux pas see in Disney

OMG YUUUUUUM! That grapefruit drink sounds right up my alley! Bubbles and all. And that chicken?!? GOOD LAWD!
YUUUUUUM is exactly the right word. Even with the bubbles it was southern perfection!

Drooling as per usual! 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤
Do you need a napkin? :P

We loved Homecomin! I ended up posting a picture on Facebook where my uncle told me he’s friends With Chef Art Smith and I’m like “you’ve known how good this food is and haven’t told me?”
Wow! I'd be seriously upset if my Uncle had held that one out on me. Of course I'm pretty sure my Uncle knows no one but the local butcher :earboy2:

HAHA I am the bag in a bag person, but the inside bag is a ziplock of diapers. I feel like in a zip lock they can pull it out an don't have to search the bag inside a bag. Other wise i 100% get what our saying here. I can not wait till i can go bag less, maybe by like 2025?
Oh the clear just says that you care and want to ensure the experience is as quick as it can be for everyone. Its the bags with a separate camera bag or a make-up bag or a lunch bag all inside. Gets me every time. Its still even hard for us to go bagless given the Florida weather (aka ponchos and water bottles)

WHOA hold the phone! This and Cali Grill brunch win! Thought i do think Cali grill brunch may even be made at 18 days, so that will take the cake??
Plan on making CG in May for our November trip so that will unquestionably be a first for me! We couldn't get it at all last time and Jason has made it clear post-half marathon he is not missing out again

Moving right along (doog-a-doon doog-a-doon) we of course needed something to soak up all of this alkeyhol and went for the Bunch of Puppies which are house-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.
Delish!
Being the infinitely better orderers that we are Casey and I concocted a meal of our own. Up first we have the delectable Thigh High Chicken Biscuits with fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles, drizzled with hot honey from the appetizer menu.
Oh! I dream about these...definitely a must order this summer!
We each also picked a side to share. Casey’s choice was Momma’s Mac and Cheese.
oh yes.....so good!
I’m a huge fan of pretty much any type of cooked weeds greens and these slightly sweet greens doused in some tobassco were the perfect accompaniment.
fab!
We waddled over to the bus depot to head back to Caribbean Beach but unfortunately people forgot their move to the back of the bus etiquette and us and another family just missed getting on. However, n a rare moment of cosmic bus karma another one came right up and we had our own private transportation back to the resort.
Haha........perfect karma! Love that you had your own bus back!

Wow! I'd be seriously upset if my Uncle had held that one out on me. Of course I'm pretty sure my Uncle knows no one but the local butcher :earboy2:

May uncle know pretty much everyone! He was a fashion designer in New York and it wasn’t unusual to see him on TV or in magazines. It’s a pretty big deal coming from my town

but they also need to separate people with “normal” bags from those who are prepared for Armageddon.
No kidding! I secretly love it when they ask someone to unzip their 87 zippered bag pockets and move along to me in the meantime, who - with an air of superiority - already has her bag zippers unzipped and ready to go :snooty:

Jason and I split a pitcher of Peroni, because why have one glass when a pitcher is of course more economical. #DisneyMath
::yes:: I mean, why mess with logic?!

Do I even know you anymore?! :confused3

:rotfl2:And also, did you really get a demerit?! :laughing:

This was super cheesy good-old fashioned mac and cheesy goodness and Casey was smitten. Unlike Che Fart Smith ,Casey’s Mama (aka yours truly) makes her mac and cheese with a bit less cheddar and the more mild gruyere, but who am I to pass up this clearly healthy and not at all bad for you option.

Wow! That looks like amazing mac 'n cheese, but I am super intrigued by the sound of your mac 'n cheese with gruyere, too!! Yummmmm on both counts!

Also, I thought I quoted it but I seriously LOLed at the "icebox dressing" comment. :rotfl2:

Getting caught up over here on the dining report forum, enjoyed your recent update, those chicken biscuits are calling my name. Totally worth the gluten hit!

I’m in full Disneyland planning mode and have been mostly lurking around that forum. How goes your planning? You know that I would LOVE to hear about that trip so I hope you do a report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter