Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

Tonight was a dinner I was very excited about. So excited we’d even made an ADR. Like before we even got to Florida.

Wow! Definitely speaks to how much you like the restaurant!

We picked up the brick in Magic Kingdom the next day and I thought it was a pretty cool memento.

That is really cool!

Jason had another term he used to describe this white concoction but I’ll leave that to your imagination so I don’t get a demerit again :earboy2:

:rotfl: :rotfl: What'd you get a demerit for??

Up first we have the delectable Thigh High Chicken Biscuits with fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles, drizzled with hot honey from the appetizer menu.

Oo these were delicious! :love:

However, n a rare moment of cosmic bus karma another one came right up and we had our own private transportation back to the resort.

Isn't it great when it works out that way?

I'd still love to know the story behind that dropped "g". So weird. But definitely a great restaurant. I love those chicken thigh biscuits! And there's a tequila and berry cocktail that is delicious. Now I'm craving both … at 9am.

I’ve Died and Gone to Southern Heaven

Tonight was a dinner I was very excited about. So excited we’d even made an ADR. Like before we even got to Florida. Like more than 5 minutes before we wanted to eat. Like who are we even :confused3

But first things first, we caught the bus to Disney Springs and did some even rarer shopping at Basin, Goofy’s Candy Company, and the Lego Store.

I also stopped by guest services to get a voucher for a brick my brother had gotten on the “Disney Walk” when he was in the College Program. We picked up the brick in Magic Kingdom the next day and I thought it was a pretty cool memento.

Now back to what you all are here for…..DRINKS (and food!) :drinking1

Dinner was at what has become a favorite for us: Homecoming (still not dropping that "g" Che Fart Smith).

We were seated quickly at a high top table in the bar area and when in a bar….

I ordered what I’m pretty sure was the Indian River Paloma with Ruby Red Grapefruit Moonshine, fresh muddled lime, and Q Premium Grapefruit Soda.

This went down way too easy and I loved the grapefruit flavor but I’d missed the part about the soda as I’m not a big fan of carbonation except in beer.

Not to be outdone Jason went with the Whiskey Flight with a beer chaser.

He certainly hearted this as he could choose his whiskey pleasure and went with a Whistle Pig Rye, Michters Small Batch, Stolen X Rock and Rye, and a Florida American Wheat Bear. Aside from the way too sweet rock and rye (which he later learned was made with rock candy) he loved all of these and wished more places had options like this.

Moving right along (doog-a-doon doog-a-doon) we of course needed something to soak up all of this alkeyhol and went for the Bunch of Puppies which are house-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.

These puppies are southern perfection. Crispy on the outside with a soft corn bread like texture on the inside, I mean what can be better than what is essentially fried corn bread? Oh I know mayonnaise disguised as cheese and some spicy jelly. Puppy Perfection!

While I could have eaten about 50 more puppies we did have actual dinner to attend to. Jason branched out and ordered the Fried Chicken Sandwich which is buttermilk-brined for 24 hours and hand-battered, dressed with hot sauce aioli, iceberg lettuce, tomato, and bread and butter pickles

First and foremost the fried chicken on here was flat out delicious, but the sandwich had too much stuff on it so the chicken got lost in the mix. This was served with a side of house-made bbq potato chips topped with icebox dressing. The chips were nice and crunchy but neither of us was a fan of whatever the “icebox dressing” was on top. Jason had another term he used to describe this white concoction but I’ll leave that to your imagination so I don’t get a demerit again :earboy2:

Being the infinitely better orderers that we are Casey and I concocted a meal of our own. Up first we have the delectable Thigh High Chicken Biscuits with fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles, drizzled with hot honey from the appetizer menu.

This is my favorite thing on their menu because what could be better than delicious and flaky cheddar cheese biscuits topped with perfectly fried and juicy chicken thighs and a slightly spicy honey. Even the bread and butter pickles bring some sweet and sourness that just perfects these little bombs of southern magic.

We each also picked a side to share. Casey’s choice was Momma’s Mac and Cheese.

This was super cheesy good-old fashioned mac and cheesy goodness and Casey was smitten. Unlike Che Fart Smith ,Casey’s Mama (aka yours truly) makes her mac and cheese with a bit less cheddar and the more mild gruyere, but who am I to pass up this clearly healthy and not at all bad for you option.

Speaking of healthy, as my choice I went with the braised kale and collards which were all veg and had absolutely no pork or sugar in them.

I’m a huge fan of pretty much any type of cooked weeds greens and these slightly sweet greens doused in some tobassco were the perfect accompaniment.

Somewhere along the way Jason and I each ordered a beer. No idea what it was, but when its beer does anything but cold really matter.

In case our faces don’t say it we were not happy with our meal.

We were of course ecstatic!!!!

Fried chicken, hushpuppies, whiskey, moonshine what more does a meal need???? Just because Jason wasn’t as happy with his sandwich we’ll give it 4.5 forkys but a 5 is just some fried chicken and donuts away.

With our tables in wonderland card we saved $23.75

We waddled over to the bus depot to head back to Caribbean Beach but unfortunately people forgot their move to the back of the bus etiquette and us and another family just missed getting on. However, n a rare moment of cosmic bus karma another one came right up and we had our own private transportation back to the resort.

Once there Casey regaled us yet again with her amazing recap skills. Hear about her favorite Epcot ride, shoe emergency, and her favorite part of dinner that I’d nearly totally about. And all while tackling her treat from Goofy's Candy Shop. Move over Savannah Guthrie....

Up next, this is a bad place to be headed...

I have been so non-existent on the disboards! We have had a very busy winter with lots of renovations at our house and more importantly having to deal with the company I work at being acquired! Luckily I have a new job at the acquiring company but it's been a stressful few months. So me and DH are headed down for a long weekend in March and Chef Art Smith's was first on our list! The Thigh High Chicken Biscuits are our favorite!

If you do that we can just make Hello Butt Cheeks its own youtube channel :D
Oh they would love that. We didn't film anything formal. So, no Hello Butt Cheeks yet.

I understand that they need to separate those with bags from those without bags, but they also need to separate people with “normal” bags from those who are prepared for Armageddon
Seriously! They have started seperating strollers out, which I don't know if it helps any or not. But... At least, now if you go from MK to EPCOT you don't have to go through security again.

We were able to walk on Soarin’ and The Land and still stop for breakfast before the park had even technically opened.
Sounds like an awsome EMHs.

And apparently my husband tested my face :confused3
What is Jason doing? Hilarious.

Then I braved Mission Space for the first time! I have a bit of motion sickness so I’ve always avoided this but was pleasantly surprised to see how tame the green (which clearly just translates to wussy) line was.
Green side is pretty tame but I still don't need to do it again. Meh.

Via Napoli! Side note it is National Pizza Day today so be sure to celebrate 🍕
You ate at Via Napoli twice in one trip?

Enrico had been a food runner for a year but had just been promoted to a waiter. He was exceedingly friendly and told us all about his hometown. He clearly loved his job and made me wish every server in Disney was just like him.
Where was Enrico when I needed him!!?!

Casey and I shared what I consider the best pizza on earth, the Carciofi, with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, and truffle oil. And in a surprise to no one we also added mushrooms.
Next time we are together In Disney, we need to go here so I can try this. No one else in my family will eat it. Although, I will say, my peperoni and persutto pizza was REALLY good.

496587541.jpeg
I love it.

ADR. Like before we even got to Florida. Like more than 5 minutes before we wanted to eat. Like who are we even :confused3
Ha! Def a reservation worth getting!

Dinner was at what has become a favorite for us: Homecoming (still not dropping that "g" Che Fart Smith).
Sadly we had to cancel our reservation this past trip, our Rise of Resistance FP ran into it. :(

Not to be outdone Jason went with the Whiskey Flight with a beer chaser.
I was going to try the moonshine flight but didn't get to. ;(

Aside from the way too sweet rock and rye (which he later learned was made with rock candy) h
I would probably like that one! Ha!

This is my favorite thing on their menu because what could be better than delicious and flaky cheddar cheese biscuits topp
Sooooo good!!!! Andy says he likes the Polite Pig Chicken sliders better but I still think this is better.

We waddled over to the bus depot to head back to Caribbean Beach but unfortunately people forgot their move to the back of the bus etiquette and us and another family just missed getting on.
Ugh, I HATE this, you can see all the space in the very back. Grrrr.

However, n a rare moment of cosmic bus karma another one came right up and we had our own private transportation back to the resort.
Well, That was probably a better ride back anyway.

And all while tackling her treat from Goofy's Candy Shop. Move over Savannah Guthrie....
Oh that video!!!! Hilarious! I mean, I don't understand how they aren't both YouTube Stars already? right?

I'm alive!!!!!!! Sorry for the absence everyone. This is my busiest time of year at work and I've been pulling 12+ hour days and then just crashing when I get home and on weekends. There is some semblance of light on the horizon so hoping I'll have more time for here.

In non-work news someone turned 9 last month! I have no idea where the time has gone. After nine years I finally relented and let her have a "real" birthday party (apparently Disney and family dinners didn't count) and she had a wonderful day at the spa with her friends.

Speaking of birthdays, the dog also had a birthday last month and hit the big 1-2! We never thought he'd see this day so we are very grateful. Of course we also thought he'd be gone by now so that means we aren't going to Disneyland as planned next month. I know that sounds horrible but we are pretty realistic that we have a dog with a life expectancy of 8-10 years and we are well beyond that. Thinking we'll do Disneyland in the summer now and even if we don't we do have WDW planned for Halloween time. Can't believe it could be a year+ between visits.

Going to work on catching up on replies and everyone's reports and hopefully will get this party back on track this weekend.

Oh! I dream about these...definitely a must order this summer!
They are definitely one of my favorite things. Saw a recipe for some non-fried hot honey chicken last night that sounded like this. Going to try and see if I can dredge up some Homecoming feelings

My uncle know pretty much everyone! He was a fashion designer in New York and it wasn’t unusual to see him on TV or in magazines. It’s a pretty big deal coming from my town
Wow, that is really cool!!!! Now I'm intrigued to know just who it is

No kidding! I secretly love it when they ask someone to unzip their 87 zippered bag pockets and move along to me in the meantime, who - with an air of superiority - already has her bag zippers unzipped and ready to go :snooty:
Someone has moved along to you in the meantime???? I always get infuriated because for us they just wait for all the 87 bags to be individually unzipped before moving along to poor little us :P

And also, did you really get a demerit?!
Yep! Apparently I'm offensive to some. Though not as offensive as @ariane37 who I believe is the reigning queen

Wow! That looks like amazing mac 'n cheese, but I am super intrigued by the sound of your mac 'n cheese with gruyere, too!! Yummmmm on both counts!
Come for Easter! I'll be making mac and cheese with lots of ooey gooey gruyere and truffle by the boat load.

Also, I thought I quoted it but I seriously LOLed at the "icebox dressing" comment. :rotfl2:
My husband and his comments are always so very very special :D

Getting caught up over here on the dining report forum, enjoyed your recent update, those chicken biscuits are calling my name. Totally worth the gluten hit!
They are unquestionably worth it! Of course I can eat all the glutten so it would be even more of a special treat for you

I’m in full Disneyland planning mode and have been mostly lurking around that forum. How goes your planning? You know that I would LOVE to hear about that trip so I hope you do a report.
Sadly I think you are going to beat us there. Just posted an update and we had to pull the plug on our spring break trip. Hoping for a redo in August though

:rotfl: :rotfl: What'd you get a demerit for??
Being me. Apparently I can be offensive to some :P

Oo these were delicious! :love:
They are so one of my favorite things on property.

What kind of meat was in the chicken sandwich? We aren't fans of thighs no matter how disguised!
You are out of luck then because they are thighs. I'm not a huge fan of dark meat in general but make an exception for these deletable beauties

I'd still love to know the story behind that dropped "g". So weird. But definitely a great restaurant. I love those chicken thigh biscuits! And there's a tequila and berry cocktail that is delicious. Now I'm craving both … at 9am.
Now we are both craving both at 9 am!!!!! I'll have to try that cocktail. Sounds right up my alley

I have been so non-existent on the disboards! We have had a very busy winter with lots of renovations at our house and more importantly having to deal with the company I work at being acquired! Luckily I have a new job at the acquiring company but it's been a stressful few months. So me and DH are headed down for a long weekend in March and Chef Art Smith's was first on our list! The Thigh High Chicken Biscuits are our favorite!
Sounds like you have definitely had a stressful few months. Glad to hear that things are settling back into place for you though and how better to celebrate that then some time at Disney!!!! I could certainly use a little Disney in my life too but sadly think it will be summer before that happens. I'll have to see if I can find some fried chicken biscuits somewhere to drown my sorrows in

Oh they would love that. We didn't film anything formal. So, no Hello Butt Cheeks yet.
Told Casey that if we all end up quarantined then we're going to have to have her and Gwen get Hello Butt Cheeks back up and running

Seriously! They have started separating strollers out, which I don't know if it helps any or not. But... At least, now if you go from MK to EPCOT you don't have to go through security again.
I had no idea they had done either of those things. I hated when we stayed at poly and had to go through security twice. Glad to hear they finally figured that out

What is Jason doing? Hilarious.
Being Jason of course. You have met my husband, right? :D

Next time we are together In Disney, we need to go here so I can try this. No one else in my family will eat it. Although, I will say, my peperoni and persutto pizza was REALLY good.
You've got a date!!!!!!!!!! We're heading down around Halloween. Just putting that out into the universe

Sadly we had to cancel our reservation this past trip, our Rise of Resistance FP ran into it. :(
Something tells me that was worth it

Sooooo good!!!! Andy says he likes the Polite Pig Chicken sliders better but I still think this is better.
Wow, I'll have to try those then. We have a great Korean/Southern BBQ hybrid by us that does an amazing pulled chicken on a biscuit slider. Its a very close second to Homecoming

Oh that video!!!! Hilarious! I mean, I don't understand how they aren't both YouTube Stars already? right?
I know? Who doesn't want to hear about Disney while chomping on a candy apple

Thinking we'll do Disneyland in the summer now and even if we don't we do have WDW planned for Halloween time. Can't believe it could be a year+ between visits.
Ohhh, when in the summer are you going to Disneyland?!?! I am trying to map out our vacation trips, Andy turns 50 in 2022, and we def want to go to Hawaii for that. And I want to go to Disneyland again!

I had no idea they had done either of those things. I hated when we stayed at poly and had to go through security twice. Glad to hear they finally figured that out
It is soooo nice now, makes it super easy to start at Magic Kingdom and head over to EPCOT for dinner.

You've got a date!!!!!!!!!! We're heading down around Halloween. Just putting that out into the universe
Ohhhh, tempting! I do think that we won't be back to WDW till next March. And I sadly have to be careful with the girls school now! Morgan will be in 7th grade in October! I can hardly believe it.

Something tells me that was worth it
It was but I am dreaming about the food now.

Wow, I'll have to try those then. We have a great Korean/Southern BBQ hybrid by us that does an amazing pulled chicken on a biscuit slider. Its a very close second to Homecoming
That sound amazing!

Ohhh, when in the summer are you going to Disneyland?!?! I am trying to map out our vacation trips, Andy turns 50 in 2022, and we def want to go to Hawaii for that. And I want to go to Disneyland again!
We're still trying to map things out too. I'm thinking we are going to do DL in mid/late August probably around the time we did WDW last year. That would be awesome if you guys were there too!!!

And let me know when Hawaii is. Tell Andy I'm inviting myself along :P

Ohhhh, tempting! I do think that we won't be back to WDW till next March. And I sadly have to be careful with the girls school now! Morgan will be in 7th grade in October! I can hardly believe it.
I can't believe it either!!! Certainly harder when the kiddos get older. Casey has 2 days off the first week in November so we are taking advantage of that. Jason was going to do the wine and dine races too but now we are going to head up to Savannah and he'll do a race there instead.

We're still trying to map things out too. I'm thinking we are going to do DL in mid/late August probably around the time we did WDW last year. That would be awesome if you guys were there too!!!

And let me know when Hawaii is. Tell Andy I'm inviting myself along :P
That is probably when we would go!!! I am working with the best TA around for options. We are starting with All-Inclusive options first. Andy wants to do something non-disney... But we will see. I am trying to work the new Spiderman Ride angle...

Happy birthday Casey! And to your pup!! How special that he is still with you!

I totally getting postponing a trip for this reason, it 100% makes sense to me!

But isn't it crazy that you will have so much time between trips!!

Also so sorry work has been crazy but hopefully it will be better soon!!

I'm alive!!!!!!! Sorry for the absence everyone. This is my busiest time of year at work and I've been pulling 12+ hour days and then just crashing when I get home and on weekends. There is some semblance of light on the horizon so hoping I'll have more time for here.
12+hr days are brutal! Hope things get a little easier for you soon.
Speaking of birthdays, the dog also had a birthday last month and hit the big 1-2! We never thought he'd see this day so we are very grateful. Of course we also thought he'd be gone by now so that means we aren't going to Disneyland as planned next month. I know that sounds horrible but we are pretty realistic that we have a dog with a life expectancy of 8-10 years and we are well beyond that. Thinking we'll do Disneyland in the summer now and even if we don't we do have WDW planned for Halloween time. Can't believe it could be a year+ between visits.
Happy birthday to both your babies! I can't believe Duvall has made it to 12.....that is an extraordinary age for a Newf. What a special guy. :goodvibes
Being me. Apparently I can be offensive to some :P
Apparently some fellow disboard members are "special friends". What in the world???

Offensive? Never!

12+ hour days?! Oh, yes. I understand completely. Ugh!

Congratulations to the Birthday Gal and the Birthday Pup! Definitely a case of tempus fugit!

Put the feet up and imagine a relaxing afternoon at the spa yourself.

I'm alive!!!!!!!

Phew! I was starting to wonder!

In non-work news someone turned 9 last month! I have no idea where the time has gone. After nine years I finally relented and let her have a "real" birthday party (apparently Disney and family dinners didn't count) and she had a wonderful day at the spa with her friends.

That's my kind of birthday! Love the pink! Happy Birthday again, Casey!

the dog also had a birthday last month and hit the big 1-2! We never thought he'd see this day so we are very grateful.

Oh my gosh, that's awesome! :dog2: :love:

Of course we also thought he'd be gone by now so that means we aren't going to Disneyland as planned next month

Aw, bummer, but makes sense. You can't go through what you went through last year again.

Can't believe it could be a year+ between visits.

Isn't it funny that one year seems like forever now to me too?! When we first started going, I was thrilled to go every two years, then I got to every year and now, well…I'm done for! We all are! :P

12 hour days sounds absolutely awful! Glad there is some end in sight for you soon!

Our kids are getting old!! I wish they would just stop that! We have held out for 10 years without a "real" birthday party, too! Ditto on the vacations and dinners apparently don't count for anything. Hmph! Trying to decide what we're going to let him do this summer to celebrate 11!

I know that sounds horrible but we are pretty realistic that we have a dog with a life expectancy of 8-10 years and we are well beyond that.
It's good to think realistically even when our hearts don't want to! So glad you were able to celebrate another year with your good boy.

Come for Easter! I'll be making mac and cheese with lots of ooey gooey gruyere and truffle by the boat load.
I WISH I could!!!! BUT, we'll be heading to WDW on Easter Sunday this year, so I'll have to pass on the invitation.

Yep! Apparently I'm offensive to some. Though not as offensive as @ariane37 who I believe is the reigning queen
LMAO! I know someone who got their hand slapped WAY worse than me it's totally ridiculous but I will say - the demerits I got were all 100% merited :cool1:
Isn't it funny that one year seems like forever now to me too?
Right? We were just there in January and don't really have a WDW trip planned until July and it's KILLING me. We're doing the one day in AK after our cruise next month - which IS a Disney cruise - but it doesn't feel the same! We are totally lucky to go as often as we do but now it seems like something is missing when a few months go by with no WDW :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter