£ vs $ 12 month high

They come really quick, i dont use my fairfx as disney will put a hold on an amount and this amount will be taken from your card and held.

Give them a different card to put on file when you check in - the "hold" goes against that card. As long as you check out using your fairfx card (rather then auto check out) then no money will be taken against the card on file.

1.63 is for paying off anything in $'s, cruise, hotels, Discovery cove........ just use a fee free card to get the full rate.:thumbsup2
Gave up using tourist rate(exchanging money) years ago, it can be an advantage if the rate drops but generally I have found using full interbank rate(Post Office credit card) has saved me £100's.:thumbsup2
I agree. Got empty credit card to use as well as cash in dollars, to be honest bought cash today and rate is more than acceptable.

luke said:
13th of January, so good rate or not I should pay it off quickly :lmao:

:goodvibes

Paid anyway, need to get Paula's and Joseph's passports now as DCL apparently need the passport numbers and expiry dates before they'll send us any cruise docs

:goodvibes

Ill ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm going home to Dublin next week and will be getting money in € as Xmas/ birthday presents.should i change it straight from euro to dollars or would it be worth going euro to pounds to dollars? From what i can work out there's only about $5 difference at the minute

Ill ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm going home to Dublin next week and will be getting money in € as Xmas/ birthday presents.should i change it straight from euro to dollars or would it be worth going euro to pounds to dollars? From what i can work out there's only about $5 difference at the minute

When you convert from £'s to $'s you lose about 3% of your money (5% if you get a bad rate)
Each currency you change you lose so doing it twice I would expect to ne worse of than converting straight from Euros to Dollars but check the rates.

When you convert from £'s to $'s you lose about 3% of your money (5% if you get a bad rate)
Each currency you change you lose so doing it twice I would expect to ne worse of than converting straight from Euros to Dollars but check the rates.

Thanks :) I probably will just change it to dollars commission free in the post office before I leave Dublin. If it's in dollars it means I can't spend it too :rotfl:

Thanks :) I probably will just change it to dollars commission free in the post office before I leave Dublin. If it's in dollars it means I can't spend it too :rotfl:

It might be commission free but they incorperate a conversion fee into their rates, todays exchange rate for £ vs $ is £1.6069, PO will probably only be around $1.55

It might be commission free but they incorperate a conversion fee into their rates, todays exchange rate for £ vs $ is £1.6069, PO will probably only be around $1.55

Oh I know that but might aswell do it there rather than coming back here and paying commission to change it. Last time I went home I changed €70 back into pounds at travelex and got £65 because of the commission charge :confused3

Im due to pay off my DVC dues this month. My account is with barclays. Will i get their exchange rate or the higher international bank rate?

Im due to pay off my DVC dues this month. My account is with barclays. Will i get their exchange rate or the higher international bank rate?

How you paying? credit card? transfer?

If its direct from your account their website says they will tell you fees involved but I could not find out what they are.

I'm thinking we might buy our travel money now before it drops again, it just keeps getting worse and worse

Yep, looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

For me, this is one of the main reasons I use a currency card such as FairFX. It allows you to buy at any time. Whenever you think the rate is good (using a top class crystal ball to ensure you are correct :thumbsup2), just add some money to the card. Helps to prevent disappointment when the rate drops dramatically.

Of course, I realise it can equally work the other way.

Kev

The UK, like most of Europe, is in recession

It's not as bad as Greece or Spain, but it's bad enough.

from an economy standpoint, we (£ and Euro) cannot keep a high value when compared to the $

A high Euro or a high £ means that it's cheaper for us to buy US goods (or goods priced in USD) so the wealth goes to the US and it's the US factories who get the jobs, the contracts, and the money.

A high $ means that it's easier for us to sell our goods. And this is good for our jobs, our factories, and our economy.

In their plans to get the European Union back on track, those who look after our "well-being" (as well as their wallet) will endeavour all they can to get our currencies to a lower exchange rate. (is that one of the reasons why your Prime Minister suggested the UK should get out of EU ?)

If the recession is getting any worse in Europe, our currencies (£ and Euro) might fall quite a bit.

(well, actually that's the way I understand it, I'm by no means an economy guru, I'm just an average guy who has it hard enough to make ends meet)

At the moment we're in the midst of a currency war with most of the worlds major currencies printing money like mad to devalue their currency. When these things happen, there are no winners and currencies become impossible to predict.

People who engage in currency trading know that at the moment, the major currencies are very volatile. I no longer trade in currency but know enough about it to say that the $ vs £ could go either way in the coming months. It's possible we could see $1.70 to £1, equally it's possible we could see $1.40 to £1. My advice at this stage is don't base your decisions on predictions about what may happen in future, because I can tell you that even the "experts" and regular currency traders have no real clue. They're all running to put their money in "safe" currencies like those in Norway and Singapore.

Wish id bought last night now at $1.51. At least got £500 at nearly 1.59 but still have £1800 to change :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter