• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

‘Ohana Dinner for someone who isn’t huge on spicy

figmentfinesse

DIS Veteran
Two questions about ‘Ohana:

1.How spicy are the spicy shrimp and the Szechuan steak? I can handle SOME spice- steak at Chipotle doesn’t bother me.

2. Is it bad to go for the last reservation of the night (9:45)? Will I miss out on the entertainment etc.

Thanks guys!

I don’t tolerate any spice and I thought the steak was fine. I never tried the shrimp because I don’t eat seafood.

Last reservation? Not something I’d do. 2 people I know grabbed a very late reservation. Neither had positive experience. They re tired, they’re less animated, less driven to be pleasant after long shifts, they te not making lots of new food imho. I’d pass.

Nothing is spicy at all at 'Ohanas - could definitely use some though - we bring our own to add. We love dining there, but always need a little more seasoning so it doesn't taste blah - just our palates tho - everyone enjoys food differently.

As for eating at 9:45, no way we could ever eat that late - we enjoy early dining, then walking around for a couple hours after before calling it a day.

I guess it’s the titles on the menu that are throwing me then! Spicy shrimp, Szechuan steak, etc.

Does it say Szechuan steak? It's literally just some grilled steak with salt and pepper sprinkled on. There is nothing Asian about it until you dip it in some sauce.

My wife doesn't do any thing spicy hot at all, she loved Ohana. Steak was her first choice, I thought the Chicken had more flavor. Shrimp was meh, and peel & eat isn't worth the effort IMHO. Nothing was hot & spicy at all.

Last edited:
It actually says Szechuan steak on the menu? My DD grumbles if we put too much pepper into food. She adores Ohana and eats plenty of steak.

Both are fine. I'm an absolute wuss with spice- Hot Tamales candy is too much sometimes. I can handle ALL THE SHRIMP. Seriously, please give me more shrimp. Steak was fine too. But more shrimp please. #whyImfat

And there is no entertainment at ‘Ohana, unless you’re referring to the kids’ games and activities. You’re not missing anything by eating late. We prefer it as it’s less noisy once the kids are gone.

Does it say Szechuan steak? It's literally just some grilled steak with salt and pepper sprinkled on. There is nothing Asian about it until you dip it in some sauce.
Yes so that’s why I was worried! And good to know about the entertainment— I had read on trip advisor about a live singer in a few recentish (last 6 months) reviews so maybe it’s not an every night thing anyways.

The chicken had sweet citrus marinade notes to it when I went but was very smokey, the steak had a nice soy and maybe ginger taste (I could be wrong), very subtle mostly beefy flavor. I didn't try the shrimp but my husband said they were delicious and not spicy at all.

View attachment 488467
Yes so that’s why I was worried! And good to know about the entertainment— I had read on trip advisor about a live singer in a few recentish (last 6 months) reviews so maybe it’s not an every night thing anyways.
There was a woman playing a ukulele last time we were there but we thought she was mostly there to engage the kids and keep them occupied. I definitely wouldn’t consider her as “entertainment”.

Last edited:
The sauces might kick up a bit but I sure think any of them were all that spicy at all. Even Panda Express Kung Pao chicken is spicier.

As for entertainment, if you can try to get seated near the Fireworks show at MK. Our TA helped me make that happen and my wife loved watching the fireworks from our table, scored some major points with her for pulling that off!

Its been a while since we've eaten there, but I don't recall anything being spicey there.

There's a ukelele singer walking around and it really adds to the atmosphere to have Hawaiian songs during dinner :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter