1 BR vs..Studio

bwv4me

Mouseketeer
This April, going from a 1BR (had this in August) to a studio to get an extra trip in before UY is over. For those of you who have done this (or can simply imagine the difference) what do you miss the most? We are a group of 4+infant. Not much of cookers . . .

The awesome shower, washer & dryer, and the living room.
Don't really use the bubbling tub, but it looks nice. :drinking:

PS- Do the studios have a second sink? If not, I like that also...

MG

Honestly, the 2 TVs, actually the whole living room idea, followed by the king bed.

I would consider a studio for two (we've done that a couple of times), but there is NO WAY I would want 4 plus an infant in a studio. Too little space for that many.

dianeschlicht said:
I would consider a studio for two (we've done that a couple of times), but there is NO WAY I would want 4 plus an infant in a studio. Too little space for that many.

Isn't it at least the same amount of space as if I was staying at a regular resort room, say the Boarwalk Inn (what non-DVC people do)?

We've had 4 + infant in both. We we're happy in each. However, it is nice to have a separate living room, washer/dryer, + full kitchen.

If given the choice, we'd prefer twice a year in a studio vs. once a year in a 1BR. Honestly, we care more about being in WDW than what room we're sleeping in. Besides, it's fun to be in one room with our kids. (They're not old enough to be annoying yet ;) )

bwv4me said:
Isn't it at least the same amount of space as if I was staying at a regular resort room, say the Boarwalk Inn (what non-DVC people do)?

I think the studio is a bit larger, but not by much. The advantage of the studio is the mini-kitchen or maxi-bar depending on your view. The folks in the regular resort rooms are going to be in close quarters.

We stay in a 1 bdrm for just the two of us and a 2 bdrm when our two college age daughters join us. We joined DVC so we could significantly upgrade the accommodations without increasing the costs over moderate resorts.

We would miss the whirlpool tub, washer/dryer (allows us to pack much less), and the kitchen for breakfasts and other light meals. It is also nice if my wife wants to rest in the afternoon I can work in the other room without disturbing her.

I'm currently lobbying DVC to put a kegerator in the 1+br villas. :teeth:
If that comes to fruition, that alone would be worth the extra points!

MG

But just did a family trip this past August where we stayed at a value for 3 nights followed by a studio at VWL for 5 nights. No worries. There were 5 of us: 2 adults, a 5 year old, a 2 year old, and an infant. We fit just fine and even kept both strollers (one single, one double side by side) open in the room with us. We had waffles and such for breakfast in every morning. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Of course, once we try a 1BR I could be singing a whole new tune :rolleyes1

I think it really depends how much time you typically spend in your room. Now that we have DVC, we sleep in, have our coffee, take our time. Commandos are in the past. If you basically just go home to sleep, then the size of the room doesnt matter so much (just like cruising...)

dianeschlicht said:

I agree, we've done 3 adults in a Studio, and it was OK...but I think 4 + infant is pushing it for comfort. Especially at resorts with the bed & foldout sofa combo.

Perhaps (previous post), but I think 3 adults in a studio would be worse than a couple with their own kids. I can't imagine staying with two other grown people in a studio - mostly for bathroom purposes. I guess we won't know until we try it. I'm just hoping I don't really regret it. If so, lesson learned!

We stayed in a studio at HHI on our way down to OKW (2bd. here). We have 2 adults and 2 children (dd-41/2 and ds-19 months) -- MIL coming tomorrow. Here's why we like a 1 bd+:
1) Space --- I need some elbow room
2) TV --- It was hard for my children to settle down while we were watching TV. We are football fanatics and we wanted to catch the games. Very difficult with the kiddies in the same room.
3) Space --- I like some privacy too!
4) Dining table/kitchen --- it is nice to have a large place to sit while eating and a nice space to prepare food. The studio's kitchenette at OKW is dark and small. The one at HHI is much larger and much brighter.
5) Space --- I like to have a place the kids can play in that isn't under my feet.
6) Masterbath --- our kids like to take baths in the BIG tub. One of us can watch them while the other gets dress.
7) Washer & Dryer --- nice convenience.

We are here for 10 days, plus the weather is a little wet because of Rita. So, we are in our room a lot. No matter how many days we are here, we only go to the parks no more than 3 days. We like to have a home base that we can relax in and enjoy.

The sofa, the sunlight and the washer/dryer!

We always get a 1 br but, April trip we are in a studio. We are gently downsizing in December to AKL Concierges to help with the switch!

Careful you don't catch upgrade/add-on-itis. We've only stayed in a 1 BR so far and I'm furiously figuring out how to get more points so we can go to 2 BRs on our trips.

Blue&Gold said:
Careful you don't catch upgrade/add-on-itis. We've only stayed in a 1 BR so far and I'm furiously figuring out how to get more points so we can go to 2 BRs on our trips.

You're not kidding! We just bought into DVC over the summer (175 points). I thought this was more than enough for us for now. Stayed in the one-bedroom in August with 2004 points. Loved it! Bought an AP and DDE for that trip so want to get the max benefits out of them. Thought I would visit in April with sister and niece (and own kids) and try to squeeze in another August trip. This can only be done with a studio. Now I'm thinking I want enough points for 2 trips a year in a one-bedroom. That is too costly for me at this point (probably 300+ points)! So, do I go twice this year and feel the crunch in a studio (we don't spend much time at all in the room), or go once and spread out? One poster mentioned the tv issue with kids in the room - settling in when I need to view. Good point! Decisions, decisions!

Usually stay in a 2BR and twice in a GV - once with 4 in a BWV studio and got a rollaway for son since 24 yo daughter understandably didn't want to sleep with 12 yo stepbrother or stepmother. We had plenty of room because we were hardly ever in the room. It was a little crowded when the rollaway was opened up at night. I don't think they even have them any more. It was also only two nights - we then moved to a GV at OKW with a total of 8 people. Given a choice 2 trips and a little less space for me. My DH and I leave in 4 days for our 3rd trip without kids in 20 some years and will be in an SSR studio. I looked at the point charts again yesterday thinking how nice a 1 BR would be and then said - nope those points would give me another trip next spring if I can find low airfare. That is what makes DVC so great vs the regular timeshares where you have one week and you have to use the whole week at once. Have a super trip or trips depending on your decision.

I'm of the mind that the more trips the better and if one of those trips happens to be in a studio, so be it. We like the bigger rooms usually, but when necessary, we don't mind a studio at all. Studios are fine, and as someone pointed out already, most "regular" vacationers will stay in one hotel room while on vacation anyway, so it's not like it's anything all that unusual. In fact we still visit AKL and the Polynesian on a regular basis because we like the resorts and we manage to do quite nicely in the one room scenario.

Have a great trip!

bwv4me said:
You're not kidding! We just bought into DVC over the summer (175 points). I thought this was more than enough for us for now. Stayed in the one-bedroom in August with 2004 points. Loved it! Bought an AP and DDE for that trip so want to get the max benefits out of them. Thought I would visit in April with sister and niece (and own kids) and try to squeeze in another August trip. This can only be done with a studio. Now I'm thinking I want enough points for 2 trips a year in a one-bedroom. That is too costly for me at this point (probably 300+ points)! So, do I go twice this year and feel the crunch in a studio (we don't spend much time at all in the room), or go once and spread out? One poster mentioned the tv issue with kids in the room - settling in when I need to view. Good point! Decisions, decisions!
We thought that at first too, and purchased only 230 points (OKW) to start. After one trip in a 1 bedroom with three adults and 1 in a studio with 2 adults, we quickly changed our minds and added another 150 points so we could do mostly 2 bedrooms with an occational 3 bedroom. I vowed never to stay in a studio again, but last year we stayed a couple of nights in an SSR studio with just the two of us before our GV stay with 12. I think if you want 3 kids and 2 adults in a studio, you are best staying at OKW where there are 2 queen beds. I kind of liked the bed plus sofa for just the two of us, but for more than that, I would want the real beds.

GO. I would go and stay in the studio and have a great time. I can't compare the two types of rooms yet because I haven't stayed DVC yet. I do know when DH and I and our two sons (4 and 6) go we will stay in a 1 bedroom for the size, seperate sleeping areas, washer/dryer,kitchen and the tub. I am planning a trip for August 2006 with just my 2 sons and neice and we will be staying in a studio, and MIL and her DH and 2 granddaughters will be staying in a studio. I am doing 2 studios because of the points. I want to bank some for a December 2006 trip with our friends in a 2 bedroom. You'll be in Disney anyways, it will be worth staying in a stuido.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter