$10 DVDs at TDS

atlnewf

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe
I was just at my TDS and they have all DVDs (except Monsters) on sale for $10 ea.

Just an fyi.

Ashley

Update - the sale officially ends at 6pm EST today!

There is a thread on Dizpins too about the sale ending any time too. Seems (as the Disney Store norm) everyone is showing a different time the sale ends.
Luckily, I bought mine! :)

I ran back to the store VERY quickly to buy the Treasures DL (LE) DVD for one of our German buddies.
I mentioned to the manager in charge about the sale ending. She didn't know anything about it. She has been very busy selling the DVD's and VHS tapes, in addition to regular merchandise and unpacking a shipment.
She and another CM did say that all of a sudden they were having to override the price on their register. She says she will check. SO guess I got in under the wire (and should have kept my mouth shut)!
She says she is still getting a lot of calls to place them on hold.

I went to my local TDS at about 3:30 Chicago time and the sale was over already. Boo-Hoo!

~Nancy~

Not sure it meant anything -- but I e-mailed disney at the contact us on the Disney web site THANKING them for having this great sale and letting them know how it got everyone talking about the DS again! :bounce:
Guess I should have mentioned everyone was talking GOOD about the DS again, which doesn't happen as often as it use to. ;)

I've said it before, but it is appropriate again ... Disney is consistently inconsistent. Twice this month TDS have established a policy & then recinded it either at the last minute or in midstream. I wonder if the management at homebase has any clue what this does to the grassroots level CM.

The issue with the videos/DVDs is a bait & switch. This was a shameless attempt by homebase to attract/bait guests into the store on the expectation of $10 videos/DVDs on the last weekend of the company's fiscal year. Now the videos/DVDs are full price & CMs are expected to sell, sell, sell to the guests coming into the stores. We went into the TDS tonight to buy DVDs, but since the sale is over, we left without purchasing any merchandise.

I agree that it has to be very hard on the store CM's. Try to explain to an unhappy customer why someone just hours before tham could buy the DVD at half off. :rolleyes:
I would think this puts them in a very difficult situation.

As a daughter of a disney stoor CM thanks for your support! I heard her story from last night... and it was not a nice night for CM!

The issue with the videos/DVDs is a bait & switch. This was a shameless attempt by homebase to attract/bait guests into the store on the expectation of $10 videos/DVDs on the last weekend of the company's fiscal year. Now the videos/DVDs are full price & CMs are expected to sell, sell, sell to the guests coming into the stores.

Okay in a quick defense of the Disney Store (even though I don't like how quickly the sale ended) They DID NOT advertise this sale, other than in-store signage. Therefore the only way someone would know about it is to be in the store during the sale (other than word of mouth) It's not as if they went out of their way to advertise the sale, then said "oops, sorry we canceled it!" This is no different than any promotion at any particular retailer. All sales are subject to end at any time. I ALWAYS tell our guests that come into the stores inquiring about the length of a sale that it could end at ANY time and if they really want the product that they should purchase it there and then or risk (a) not getting it at all or (b) not getting the sale price.

No one knows for sure why the sale ended so abruptly other than speculation that because many stores were running out of product very fast, it was causing issues.

I think people tend to have higher expectations of the Disney Store than other retailers. Would someone go back to another store and pitch a fit because a sale ended and they didn't get the sale price that others did? Not as likely as at a Disney Store.

I'm not directing my comments here to anyone in particular. Just my observations.

Sue Ellen

This is no different than any promotion at any particular retailer. All sales are subject to end at any time.

I would (and do) have a problem with any retailer that would do this. Ii have never experienced a retailer actually "invoking the fine print" and ending a promotion early. Further, if something out of the ordinary does force such, I am used to retailers caring enough about retaining the customer. I too went to the DS this mrning, because my work schedule is such that I cn't make it to the mall during the week. I went planning to buy not only DVDs but more Disney Dollars for my trip, plus possibly a couple of pins. I left without purchasing anything - even the Disney Dollars I planned to buy. We are supposed to leave Tuesday for our trip and this has cast a pall over my enthusiasm for packing and going. I've spent months on the board reading various expereinces, good & bad, and trying to have a healthy dose of perspective when reading posts about negative experiences, but the experience I had this morning has made me very sympathetic for those who feel they've had similar types of expereinces with their trips.:confused:

I would (and do) have a problem with any retailer that would do this. Ii have never experienced a retailer actually "invoking the fine print" and ending a promotion early.

Just one more quick thing here. This was NOT and advertised sale. It was an in store promotion. The length of time of the sale was never posted and was just communicated with guests that asked by the CMs.

Yes, Disney ended the promotion, but it's not like they went out there and advertised it then pulled it.

Sue Ellen

Really, how many folks on Dis would have known anything about a promotion if someone didn't get a great deal and then post about it. Most of folks who work for the stores didn't know about it. On the same note, disney must have been keeping very close eye on the sales and probably used the power of the internet to get the word out to stop the promotion quickly to all the stores.

It's Disney's sandbox and they make the rules. The lesson from this is if you see it at a price that is acceptable to you, then buy it or don't be suprised if it isn't there when you decide you want it.

As for me, you will never ever hear when an item is going on sale or when a sale will end. I would hate to mislead a guest.

While Disney did not specifically advertise this promotion/sale through conventional media, they did expectthe information to spread via the Internet. This way guests would advertise it for not cost to the Company.

Years ago I worked for a nationwide retailer that ran sales, but we never began a sale without an ending date. Sales were subject to availability of merchandise, but we never cut a sale short. Many times we even issued "rainchecks."

TDS's buy one get one free sale on pins recently may have been a promo that was not officially advertised, but I received a message from a CM letting me know about the sale. Disney apparently had no problem then letting guests know because they wanted guests to buy, buy, buy. At that time the Store Manager did say she did not know how long the sale would be. However, the DVD/video sale was for Thursday, Friday & Saturday & that information was given by corporate to the Stores.

Music Mole, I am sorry you had a bad experience at the Disney Store today. You did the same thing we did last night - you voted with your pocketbook.

I was told by the manager at the DS I visited last night that her store received a memo yesterday afternoon to end the sale. Then they received another one that it was on, and then yet another memo that the sale was over. It's off, it's on, it's off. Make up your mind!!!

She apologized to me and said they have had a lot of disgruntled guests. Not her fault for following orders. They were told when the sale started that it would run Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Why wouldn't they tell people?? Was it a big secret?? If Corporate didn't want to have a definite end date...they shouldn't have stated one in their memo. They could have said, the sale can end at any time. They didn't.

I call that poor mamagement and poor customer relations. I was planning on buying some DVD's for Christmas presents for my 9 nieces and nephew's. I left without buying a thing. I'll take my business to BJ's Memebers club and get my DVD's at a cheaper price than the DS's $20.

It's off, it's on, it's off.
~Kathie -- Gee I wonder if MY boss really runs the Disney Stores too and I just not aware of it!
:jester: :jester:
I have had local CM's tell me they are the last to know. I tell them I say the same about my job! ;)
I fianlly saw in the store yesterday a fellow Saturday morning line waiter from YoD. We were chatting about pins and we were talking about what we read on the internet.
The CM chirped in (nice gal) that she hated guests reading what was going on via the internet.
I told her as guests, WE LOVE IT! ;) That way we know what is going on.
I can only imagine how often CM's (park & store) hear guests quoting what they read on the internet.
But it sure has kept me well informed! And Disney gue$ts gotta keep on their toes! We should call ourselves the Dis-ballerinas! :jester:

I made a beeline for the display on Friday morning.

The CM started to tell me how lucky I was because they had a special DVD promotion going on. I interrupted her to tell her that I knew about it and it was the reason that I was there. She was quite surprised, and asked how I found out about the sale.

When I said "on the internet", she didn't say a word and just walked away.

After reading here late friday night that sale was on....then off, I figured I had no shot.

But Saturday while looking through the musical pins for ones that would work, I mentioned it to the Mgr. She said and I quote" All the big wigs and the district mgrs were at a huge mega huge meeting somewhere....and the little note got out on line to all the stores by accident while the biggies were at play...when they all returned to work friday afternoon they freaked and recalled the sale as it was never supposed to be in the first place." but since you already know about it and missed it due to them recalling the sale before the actual deadline she had the DS mgrs permission to give the sale to whom ever asked about it. So I bought 6 DVDs and wish I had gotten more.

Thanks to all of you for posting it here or I would have missed it all together.

By the way I got...The Rookie, Spy Kids, Snow Dogs, Return to Neverland, oh..poohhhh I cant remember the other two and I have them hidden away for xmas already..

cindy

oh Atlantis.....and Air bud baseball......whew....I hate those senior moments.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter