100 Episodes and a Movie - The Original DuckTales

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
Woo-ooo!

So, I just finished all episodes of DuckTales on Disney+ and thought I'd rundown my thoughts a bit. This is such a classic show and was very good at the time, though it holds up quite well. I was surprised at how many episodes I really remembered and was delighted as I watched them. I did discover interesting things though watching them through a new lens and below are my observations.
  • The animation quality is pretty high and the voice cast was stellar. I expected of course Disney stalwarts like Russi Taylor, June Foray, and Alan Young, but I was surprised to find Tress MacNeil of The Simpsons . I also never realized how much Frank Welker and Peter Cullen were in it - such great voice actors! The casting was by Andrea Romano of Batman: The Aniamted Series fame, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise at all.
  • While they are few and far between sometimes the show would have a real zinger - a very pointed joke about society or the government. These are a delight and I really don't remember them, probably because I didn't understand them.
  • Scrroge's character is a little softer in this show than his original portrayals, but not that much actually. He really is miserly, though he always shows through a heart of gold in the end - though he needs to go a little money crazy first. Hey, it was the 80's and rampant capitalism was the lesson of the day. Sometimes I am surpirsed at just how much the show leans into the idea of money solving problems. It does, but we usually don't teach that to kids. Love and family are always shown to be more important in the end, but that doesn't always come up in every episode.
  • Signs of the times - sometimes I was surprised at some of the things shown that they wouldn't put in cartoons today, like treating Mrs. Beakly and Doofus as clowns with many jokes about their weight. It's not overly mean, but just kind of is, but it rings a little distasteful. While there were allusions to smoking, it almost never happened, until it did. Many unlit cigars would be shown, but in a later episode there is in fact a character smoking. I'm surprised the entire series didn't get slapped with the D+ tobacco use warning.
  • Guns, guns, guns! Wow does this show depict a lot of firearm usage! The go-to is to blast someone with a shotgun. The threats are real, though nobody is ever actually hurt by them. Still, it's a little surprising how embraced that is and the good characters get in on the action. This isn't really a problem to me, it's just an interesting observation.
  • On the subject, there are two episodes of DuckTales that do not appear on D+ - one, Sphinx for the Memories, I can't figure out why but the other, Launchpad's Civil War, depicts a Civil War reenactment with everything that entails. I am not surporsed it was stricken from the record but it's too bad because it's a good episode and even slightly educational.
  • Just a warning too to anybody, the episodes are all out of order on D+ so you might want to use a good episode list. Most are in order or don't matter but you may see a new character before they are introduced properly.
  • Speaking of, the later new characters, Bubba Duck and Fenton Crackshell a.k.a. Gizmoduck are interesting additions. I found Bubba kind of grating but I enjoyed Gizmoduck. Fenton can be somewhat annoying but not as much as bubba. They definitely used Launchpad less after they were introduced and Donald never shows up again either. I'm not sure why.
  • The multi-part episodes are so epic! Many of them originally aired in prime time which is how big the show was. From the origin, to the great cash weigh-in, to the creation of Gizmoduck, these really work well, even the Bubba one. The finale is only 2 parts, but is also suitably epic and may be the best episode of the series.
  • The theatrical movie is not bad either, though it really just feels like regualr episodes though the animation quality is better. It does have Christopher Lloyd an Rip Taylor as voices, so that's a plus. I can see why it didn't do well though because it was pretty much just like the TV show anybody could watch for free.
Anyway, so ends my epic journey - or does it? I heard that, sometimes, some crimes go slipping through the cracks. I wonder if there's anybody who can do something about that?

Last edited:
I enjoy the original series but just can't get into the updated one. Mainly I think because the voices for the boys. They don't sound like kids or Ducks anymore.

I enjoy the original series but just can't get into the updated one. Mainly I think because the voices for the boys. They don't sound like kids or Ducks anymore.

Yeah, the new one's okay but it's just not as good as the origina. Actually some stuff in the new season I have found a bit annoying and it's a little preachy now too. THere are things I like about it, but it's jsut okay. I preferred The Legend of the Three Caballeros - if you like classic DuckTales I recommend it!

Blathering Blatherskyte! I think I've watched them all too! I collected them on DVD from the Disney Movie Club. But I haven't seen the movie yet. However, it is on my watchlist. I didn't care as much for Gizmo Duck since he took too much of the focus off Huey , Dewey and Louie. And Bubba was unnecessary. But I love the boys. They're among my favorite Disney characters after Donald of course!

I also have two Star Wars sets of them as Jawas but haven't taken them out of the package!

Attachments

• 100_6921.JPG
    100_6921.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
Nice. I don't think they ever released the full series on DVd unless the Movie Club versions were different. That's one of the reasons I never got them. They were also out of order and missing the Sphinx episode (but they had the Civil War one). I did enjoy the binge watch. I did Gummi Bears before that and that was a very good show too, but it was more hit and miss than DuckTales is and got a little clunky in later seasons.

I’m thinking of doing some Disney Afternoon binge watching this summer since I won’t have Big Brother to keep me entertained

I’m thinking of doing some Disney Afternoon binge watching this summer since I won’t have Big Brother to keep me entertained

It's been fun, just watch the episode orders. It doesn't matter much other than for the big, five-part episodes since they introduce characters that appear later, Some of the Gizmoduck episodes show up before the origin story. I've got a guide if you want.

It's been fun, just watch the episode orders. It doesn't matter much other than for the big, five-part episodes since they introduce characters that appear later, Some of the Gizmoduck episodes show up before the origin story. I've got a guide if you want.
I have a few episode guide sites bookmarked....
I watched most of the classics in syndication when I was younger ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter