150 pts to get blue card... what happens in the future?

Sure hope you love OKW.. I know you can use them anywhere but hard to imagine buying that many without loving the resort. How many contracts did you break that up into?

I have never seen OKW and I've been going to WDW for 45 years. Later this summer will be my first time there and I will have to use GPS because I don't know where it is. But, the YouTube videos are helpful (looks like a nice place!) and the grand villas will be our go to accommodation.

My main priority was acquiring a large number of points that I could leverage to get bungalows/cabins/grand villas/multiple 1bd villas any where at WDW even at 7 months. Contracts are 250/250/250/250/100/100/100/100 - small enough to either sell on the resale market, or bequest to each of my 4 kids.

How many trips does that get you per year?

Between weekend getaways in a deluxe studio with just my DW and a mix of trips with our 4 kids (all in HS/college now) + dogs at FW Cabins, or other bigger accommodations without dogs, I would like to think we have a lot of options. I would prefer not to be shopping for points any time soon, but if DVC runs another good promotion... who knows?

I have never seen OKW and I've been going to WDW for 45 years. Later this summer will be my first time there and I will have to use GPS because I don't know where it is. But, the YouTube videos are helpful (looks like a nice place!) and the grand villas will be our go to accommodation.

My main priority was acquiring a large number of points that I could leverage to get bungalows/cabins/grand villas/multiple 1bd villas any where at WDW even at 7 months. Contracts are 250/250/250/250/100/100/100/100 - small enough to either sell on the resale market, or bequest to each of my 4 kids.
Interesting, did you consider buying a large amount of Saratoga resale for the even lower buy in or Bay Lake Tower for the lower dues and still being able to book the bungalows/cabins/Grand Villas at 7 months at most resorts? Or do you feel like you just really wanted to be able to book any and all future resorts with the points?

Between weekend getaways in a deluxe studio with just my DW and a mix of trips with our 4 kids (all in HS/college now) + dogs at FW Cabins, or other bigger accommodations without dogs, I would like to think we have a lot of options. I would prefer not to be shopping for points any time soon, but if DVC runs another good promotion... who knows?
Love your Avatar and name!

Wow, you bought site unseen! Congrats on your points. I think very smart to get in 8 different contracts. That way your kids can mix/match depending on how many points they want and can afford dues-wise.

I think OKW looks relaxing and I hope you will really love it. You are relying heavily on being able to book at 7 months, but the good news is the more expensive room types have more availability, and you have tons of points so that give you a lot of flexibility in that regard.

Enjoy all your upcoming vacations!

Interesting, did you consider buying a large amount of Saratoga resale for the even lower buy in or Bay Lake Tower for the lower dues and still being able to book the bungalows/cabins/Grand Villas at 7 months at most resorts? Or do you feel like you just really wanted to be able to book any and all future resorts with the points?

I want the unequivocal right to stay at all future resorts - especially the Fort Wilderness new cabins where we can bring our two small dogs. Also, I do not want to bequest contracts that have those restrictions either so that took the shine off any and all resale contracts. That said, it's possible I would consider resale for SAP+ options at favored destinations.

Plus, I may want to enjoy some of those member rewards things... and I don't even know what that means.

I want the unequivocal right to stay at all future resorts - especially the Fort Wilderness new cabins where we can bring our two small dogs. Also, I do not want to bequest contracts that have those restrictions either so that took the shine off any and all resale contracts. That said, it's possible I would consider resale for SAP+ options at favored destinations.

Plus, I may want to enjoy some of those member rewards things... and I don't even know what that means.
Completely fair about wanting your kids to all be full members down the line. I’m not buying anymore resale just because I do want to be able to book all future resorts with my points but just wanted to see what your thoughts were when making that decision :)

I'd be shocked if they increased the minimum.
I kind of think Disney will be forced to increase the minimum pretty soon. My theory is that the minimum buy-in will track with the average weekly points for a standard studio. This way, Disney can market that a buy-in means that you can stay in a standard studio room for a full week "most of the year".

Disneyland Hotel standard studios average out to 144 points/week. The Cabins average out to 147 points/week. So, we're getting pretty close to 150 not being able to afford a full week most of the year. Poly is already there with the reallocation of points - I think the standard studios average out to 152. So, I could see them raising the threshold to 175 for Poly Tower.

Just out of curiosity are you a new member and able to get the full 90 dollars per point off that they offer to existing members buying 1000+ points? Essentially bringing the price down to 115 pre-Magical Beginnings, AKA 95 with MB? Or are you a brand new member? Because if not it'd be awfully tempting to buy a tiny 25 point resale or hell even a small direct contract and then turn around and buy the 1400 you need. Even if it only got you another 10 dollars per point off that's still 14,000 dollars with that big of a purchase

Just out of curiosity are you a new member and able to get the full 90 dollars per point off that they offer to existing members buying 1000+ points? Essentially bringing the price down to 115 pre-Magical Beginnings, AKA 95 with MB? Or are you a brand new member? Because if not it'd be awfully tempting to buy a tiny 25 point resale or hell even a small direct contract and then turn around and buy the 1400 you need. Even if it only got you another 10 dollars per point off that's still 14,000 dollars with that big of a purchase

Interesting idea on how I could have paid $95pp if I was already an owner. I am brand new to DVC. I paid $105 a point for all 1400 points - $80pp credit + $20 MB. I guess I could have bought one 150 contract, waited a little while and then bought the rest as an owner and been in the same place for even less per point on 1150 points. Water under the bridge.

Interesting idea on how I could have paid $95pp if I was already an owner. I am brand new to DVC. I paid $105 a point for all 1400 points - $80pp credit + $20 MB. I guess I could have bought one 150 contract, waited a little while and then bought the rest as an owner and been in the same place for even less per point on 1150 points. Water under the bridge.
Alternatively I would have done 4 100s to qualify you for the 300 point threshold, then wait 10 days, then be like you know what, I want to buy 1000 and buy the 4 250s then. I guess though having the 4 100s at the higher price would cut into the savings

Alternatively I would have done 4 100s to qualify you for the 300 point threshold, then wait 10 days, then be like you know what, I want to buy 1000 and buy the 4 250s then. Easy. And you end up with the same contracts you already have. You just end up saving another 10 grand.
Of course the "guides" would never clue anyone in to such a thing. Ugh.

Of course the "guides" would never clue anyone in to such a thing. Ugh.
Hrm I just thought about it afterwards, changing the 4 100s would mean you are paying for that at a higher price though, so I'd have to do the math

Assuming you get 60 off as a new member on 300+ points (I'm not sure what the actual discount is) and take another 20 off for MB

400 * 115+1000 * 95= 141,000 vs. 1400*105= 147,000 if I'm understanding this correctly? So about a 6k difference? Doesn't seem like OP cares about 6 grand so shrug but interesting to think about

Last edited:
Hrm I just thought about it afterwards, changing the 4 100s would mean you are paying for that at a higher price though, so I'd have to do the math

Assuming you get 60 off as a new member on 300+ points (I'm not sure what the actual discount is) and take another 20 off for MB

400 * 125+1000 * 95= 145,000 vs. 1400*105= 147,000 if I'm understanding this correctly? Maybe not worth it?

200*145 + 1200*95 = 143,000 vs 147,000 so maybe it's not as far off as I thought? Plus the welcome home bonus?
Yeah, I was coming up with $145,000 vs. $147,000. So not a massive difference.

Of course, my jaw is on the floor with either total :)

400 * 115+1000 * 95= 141,000 vs. 1400*105= 147,000 if I'm understanding this correctly? So about a 6k difference? Doesn't seem like OP cares about 6 grand so shrug but interesting to think about

Even if I could go back and do this all over again, I wouldn’t change buying all 1400 at once.

Even if I could go back and do this all over again, I wouldn’t change buying all 1400 at once.
Oh I know, at this point this is more for me to think about. LOL. I know you're not going to rescind your contract. Like I get it, you've been going for 45 years, I'm going to assume if you can drop 150k on DVC essentially as a gift to your kids you don't really care about a few grand and you just care more about the convenience of having everything done which is perfectly reasonable. But it's interesting to think about with the savings of buying a small resale or another direct contract first, it would essentially pay for itself immediately in savings at that level of points.

Last edited:
Oh I know, at this point this is more for me to think about. LOL. I know you're not going to rescind your contract. Like I get it, you've been going for 45 years, I'm going to assume if you can drop 150k on DVC essentially as a gift to your kids you don't really care about a few grand and you just care more about the convenience of having everything done which is perfectly reasonable. But it's interesting to think about with the savings of buying a small resale or another direct contract first, it would essentially pay for itself immediately in savings at that level of points.
I'll say, if anyone ever starts a thread ranking the ballsiest DVC purchases, this one by @DonkeyHoTay will be up there.
First DVC purchase, 1400 points, OKW, site unseen. That's some serious shock and awe.

Id be surprised to see it raised. While DVD can do anything they want, I don’t see them not grandfathering like they have so far.
With the newer resorts seeming to be point heavy I can see the minimum requirements for a blue card to migrate up to 200-250. If "new" buyers stop at 150 that is gonna be a lot of people competing for a limited amount of studios for a week vacation.

With the newer resorts seeming to be point heavy I can see the minimum requirements for a blue card to migrate up to 200-250. If "new" buyers stop at 150 that is gonna be a lot of people competing for a limited amount of studios for a week vacation.
I can see it happening but not anytime soon. 150 pts direct at their actively selling properties is still around 30k which is still a pretty big pill to swallow. I think we have another 5-10 years or so before we see it raised.

They lowered the minimum buy in to 100 last year but kept the minimum for perks at 150.

Prices are too high now to raise the minimum that high for initial purchases. I think that is why they are allowing new buyers to get 100 points now…to get people to buy.

So, I don’t see it going that way. It’s been three years since they moved it to 150 for perks.

In terms of what owners will be able to get? That’s on the buyer to decide and understand how may points are needed for what they want to achieve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter