1st Disney experience for Stepchildren - Pre Trip Report (We Are Back!)

northwest1965

Mouseketeer
So this is us- me 44, my wonderful OH 45 and his two children 13 and 8.
The kids have never experienced any of the Disney Magic. OH has been to Florida but never went to WDW. Me on the other hand, I have been to Florida and WDW many times. Its amazing.

Its less than a week until we go, I'm checking the weather reports and it seems quite mixed at the moment (depending on what site you use).

I've got my planner (thanks Mum to Belle:)), restaurants planned are Annettes Diner, Plaza Gardens, Restaurant des Stars(maybe), Cowboy Cookout and Luckey Nugget Saloon. Shout out if any of these arent particularly good.

Having had an op 5weeks ago now, its going to OH who takes charge of all those roller coasters:laughing: I'm not a fan of those anyway. The only one I love is Thunder Mountain but will have to miss this out, its a shame *** everyone has said how much better it is than the one at WDW.

As I said earlier the kids have never experienced Disney before so I really look forward to just watching their faces at the rides, shows and parade. I hope the 13yr old immerses herself into the wonderful world that is Disney.

Sounds like your going to have a great time:thumbsup2

Ahhh, first trip to the magic, how exciting!! :cool1:

Glad you've found the planner useful, have you checked out the restaurant review threads on here? They can be a good guide, or the trip reports as not everyone copies the info across (still on my to do list!!)

I've not eaten in any of the restaurants on your list so can''t help I'm afraid, but would recommend Cafe Mickey, it all depends on what the children are most likely to eat though I guess!

Where are you staying and when do you go?

We go on Saturday. We are not staying onsite but at the Thomas Cook Explorers. Its got very mixed reviews from being bad to excellent. We'll see, as far as I am concerned we're only using it to sleep.

Only 5 more sleeps!! :banana:

The reason I asked about the hotel is that the hotel restaurants are worth considering, particularly if you are staying on site. We've eaten at Inventions, Cape Cod and Beaver Creek Tavern which were all very nice although I didn't feel that Cape Cod was particularly good value.

I have read a few bad reviews on Lucky Nugget but I've never been myself so can't comment...

Are you planning your main meal during the day or in the evening? Park opening hours will then play a part in where & when you eat. Ooohhh, decisions, decisions, the meals are a BIG part of the holiday for me!! :rotfl2:

I think our main meal will be early evening. I have read some of the restaurant reviwes but a lot are really old. For me food is important:) its a big part of my holiday too. :)

Right then, let's get serious about the food!! :lmao:

You have to go to Walts!!!! It's amazing! The quick lunch that we did is great value. It's nice to get a table looking out over Main Street - we saw the All Stars Express go by while we were there. If you're thinking of character meals then I would go for Cafe Mickey as being one of the better value options for food & interaction, lunchtime is quieter. Inventions is fab but pricey, it's an international hot & cold buffet and the characters there are fab! Auberge is great if you're into princesses...! I've just realised that you'll be there on a Sunday - I've always wanted to do the Sunday Brunch at The Steakhouse!!

A lot of the restaurants in the park won't be open for an evening meal unless the park is open late, in which case you'd need to look at The Village or the hotels. Although you should check with the restaurant reservation service as there may be some that are open later! :thumbsup2

I guess buffets are quite a good choice as you will normally find something for everyone to eat, in which case you'll be spoilt for choice as there are a lot of buffet restaurants to choose from!! :goodvibes

You do realise you are making this a lot harder for me:rotfl:

Just when I thought I'd chosen some restaurants, I go and change them.

Looks now as it will be
Cafe Mickey
Anettes

To get my BBQ fix, it has to be Cowboy Cookout leaving one more to sort!:)

We are back! We arrived back early eveing yesterday, Jet 2 was delayed by 4hours. Couldnt be helped as they had a fault with the original plane. They looked after us though and provided a voucher for a sandwich and a drink. I will do a trip report later.:)

We stayed at Explorers Hotel from 29th May - 2 June. After reading lots of very mixed reviews I was unsure of how it was going to be. It was just fine. The only time we spent there was for sleeping and breakfast. There was so much to do for the children if they wanted to do it (swimming/play equpment).
We spent everyday in the parks. I was disappointed with Studios. I wasnt expecting that much from it to be honest. Everyone loved Crush's Coaster. It wasnt what they were expecting!!:laughing:
Disneyland Park was wonderful, the layout, the rides, everything. Thunder Mountain is so much better than Florida. We ate twice at Plaza Gardens, it was fantastic, everthing you could want. Also ate at Cafe Mickey and La Grange.
I think the children really enjoyed their 1st Disney experience.
Would we go back? I dont think we would, I would rather save for the Florida experience.

I would like to say a huge thankyou to everyone on this site for their help.

Welcome back!:) Hope you are rested from the long journey. I still haven't been on Crush's Coaster - but really want to wait it out and give it a try this time around. Enjoy your next Disney adventure wherever it may be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter